What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

My lovely SWMBO is both very beautiful & acutely intelligent, in fact Degree level intellectual, more than I by a country mile I’d wager. I’ve been punching above weight for 4 decades if I’m honest.
Never the less ( and it is a family joke) I don’t let her near my PC…don’t even go there.
Solution? Buy her an Apple lappy of her very own. Fortunately our son was selling his, so he just gave her it. Sorted. It seems to withstand everything she chucks at it with her rather weird Reiki sites & odd “magic stone” buy sites… etc.
As I say, no malice in it at all…but technology & cars? Just drive the Sport my beloved Long Haired One but don’t bliidy top up any fluids or…anything. :rofl:
Just ruddy well leave it to me…thanks. And that includes 2 bucket washing.

3 Likes

I never thought that half my retirement would be spent sorting out problems with mobile phones and laptops whilst/after my wife is/has been using them! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

But we love them unconditionally.
'Tis our duty & mission in Life!

3 Likes

As pointed out it is french, though I think they, along with the C1 and Aygo were all assembled in the Toyota factory.

The ‘fusible link’ will be replaced by something with some ability to be repaired as soon as I’ve got the new alternator on. Judging by the effort required to split the fusebox to get to the lower level where it lives they really didn’t want people investigating it…

3 Likes

Exactly, I was just joshing of course.
I think if people only knew the level of cross-component commonality these days in terms of looms, mills, and even body tubs they’d wonder what they were really buying.
Like GM loom & leccy wiring in a lot of… Mercs…(cough) For a while anyway.

1 Like

well the C1 and 107 are identical except for badges, raiding each others parts bins has been going on for longer than I’ve been around though

Seem to recall as a kid that Ford, Jag, Aston, etc etc were all at it, the Noble M12 sports thing had a mondeo engine is I remember right - all be it more than a little modified

So true.

When I met her, mine could sit on her hair it was so long! And she is very, very clever, a fantastic teacher.

However, after I fixed the radiator leak in her woody Mini traveller, she panicked at seeing the temperature gauge rise to midway, and “put some water in the engine”. Half a pint until the penny dropped, and then she drove it home!

AARRGGHH. Instant rebore! And the valves were suddenly so noisy.

However after an oil flush and fitting a spare head (Wurzle like) and some Krause-bond pellets to coat the bores (feelers showed 40 thou of piston slop!) the (slightly smokey) car lasted another six years before I managed to sell it - all problems shown.

1 Like

Bang on there.
It goes back decades.
The mighty GM-sourced RR V8 alloy block, wholly re-engineered by RR of course and was linked to a massive GM slush-box completely re-calibrated for “RR/Bentley” tastes.
Of course, nobody can tell the Americans how to build big CC mighty mills. They still do it.
The bespoke Jensen Interceptor ( got around £180 K handy) uses a generic & epic V8 mill out an American luxury Cadillac tank. Nothing else would come close to chucking that behemoth down the road sub 5 seconds!
And the visceral Aston V12 is famous for being basically two Mondeo V6’s incredibly well engineered into one. Who could argue with that beast ?!

2 Likes

Anyway, back on track, it looks like the Jatco Autobox in the 27 years old Mk1 1840cc may be goosed all for the lack of…a speed sensor which has failed and means Overdrive is no longer available. Nor is the sensor available in the UK unless I order it from Japan via the Main Dealer £130.oo.

Plus no G’tee of delivery dates stretching into weeks right now due entirely, I am informed, the utter mayhem right now thanks to a toxix combination of Covid & EU regs with spares in containers floating around with nowhere to dock.
Around town not an issue as it does not click in till 34 mph, but long distance…if the car is doing 60mph the mill thinks it’s doing 85mph…with dreadfull MPG and hyper revs.

It should cruise at 70mph with 3100 rpm-ish.
So, it may be required I buy a whole new known used 'box for the thing that’s just been removed form an identical but younger Roadster just to get…the sensor.
It’s a shame as otherwise the 'box changes seamlessly like a new one.
It’s an old car, although most of it is between 6 to 2 years old post resto, and the replacement engine is a real corker. Zero oil usage, spins like a nutter, not a hint even of HLA chatter.
Them’s the breaks. There’s been too much put into it to give up now.

Oh well, bang goes another few hundred ££££ out me pensions!
All the good fun of running an old car.
At least it’s bonnet won’t explode! :rofl:
Once I get over this bit, I’m hard pressed to imagine what else expensive can fail…it’s all too new.
The odd leccy maybe…most are OEM still, thanks to old school Nippon Denso etc.

2 Likes

Today I have installed a stainless steel centre console trim and finished the adding the red interior trim strips on my NBFL.

4 Likes

Preventative maintenance!

2 Likes

I’ve owned 2 cars from Fiat, and they never needed the amount of attention some of the cars mentioned in this thread have needed.

3 Likes

Just bought a Sunderland built Nissan Qashqai 1.3 turbo petrol. Apparently the same engine as the Merc A class.

2 Likes

Excellent!
Sure you will be happy with it.

1 Like

Yes, my youngest lad had a 2010 punto evo 3dr base, only the 8v so older engine. In 3 years of ownership he didn’t so much as lift the bonnet! Never checked a thing on it. Relied on me at MOT time to bring it in line. Was very reliable and certainly didn’t rust :grinning: got £800 in p/ex against his current car with no MOT on it even. His overall running costs weren’t bad at all over 3 years. :+1:
Barrie

2 Likes

I had a 2006 Fiat Panda for 7 years and put 70,000 miles on it that. It had such minimal amount of work needed on it during that time.
I loved it, but had to sell it to get a work van.
(I’ve told the new owner that I’ll be wanting to buy it back when they’re done with it.)

2 Likes

There are so many jokes,

Fix It Again Tomorrow
Fix It Again Tony
Found In A Tip

and so it goes on! Nigh on 50 years ago, a cousin of mine was gifted a 500, I hand painted it for her in yacht paint, a similar blue to its OEM colour. I was only 16 but made a half decent job even if I say so myself! Wish I had that car now :nerd_face:
Like most cars I guess, often not quite as bad as they’re painted? :smile: see what I did there?
Barrie

3 Likes

Don’t forget Lotus - Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious…!

1 Like

Got the same engine in my Kadjar 160bhp.Enough power for size of vehicle and enough grunt for overtaking cars towing caravans when going to the coast.

Ours is only the 140bhp version. Same 0-60 as our old 1.6 Juke but quite a bit more torque so feels a lot more powerful.

While I used to love using the revs on a spirited drive in my first MX-5, a 1.6 Eunos it got a bit tiring having to do the same in the Juke. The Qashqai just feels so much more willing and relaxing to drive for a ‘sensible’ car.

A quick Google tells me the 1.3T was developed by the Nissan-Renault Alliance in conjunction with Daimler. Compared with the previous engines more torque, lower emissions and longer service intervals.

Hate to say it but Mazda could learn a thing or two about infotainment systems from Nissan. A much more intuitive system than the one in my ND. Android Auto and Car Play included as standard. Updates via USB or wifi without wrestling a little SD card out of the car.

1 Like