What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Yes, very interesting that even that level of soundproofing doesn’t much affect the dreaded road noise up the tubes.
Was it @RoadsterRobbie who mentioned that some folk have created some sort of flap valves at the top?
I’d like to hear more about that
Maybe some closed cell foam flaps over the drainage grids that will float up out of the way to allow water through but drop over the grids otherwise and help block the noise transmission.

All that sound proofing was behind the seats - did you put any in the boot, under the floor covering? I know other correspondents have done this with good results… perhaps removing the noise from the boot will stop it echoing around as it is a closed system and could create more sound waves?

1 Like

Some people use foam bungs in the end of the tube, but you need to check for blockages on a regular basis. I think it was aquarium foam?

Yes, I have that at the bottom end
Less need for regular checking with a roadster than soft top I think but still worth doing.
I was thinking in terms of something at the top as well, at least some of the noise is still there…

1 Like

Just a thought.
I’ll get me coat…

6 Likes

No SWMBO’d here…! :joy:

1 Like

:joy:
Priceless!

Yes, I did the boot as well.

Excuse the filthy car but fitted these tinted side repeaters today! Matches the black theme! Won’t be able to see my car in the dark soon!

6 Likes

Just had new rear tyres fitted (Kumho PS71s) at ATS in Barrhead, and saw not one but two MX-5s on my drive home! First was a NC (potentially a Venture Edition, Radiant Ebony Mica), and the second was a Soul Red ND. The NC driver didn’t see me, but I gave the ND driver a wave. Any takers?!

2 Likes

Took the NC (top-down of course) to Mount Vernon hospital car-park H to check on the calibration of the parking markers on its newly fitted reversing camera. But I forgot to take a photo of the results even though in today’s flat light the rev-cam pictures were excellent.

The NCP guy was most amused to see me finagling the car into perfect position in my bay so the lines marking the empty (!) bay behind could act as adjustment references.

First drive out for the little car since going to Bradenham mud bath last year.

The NC checked out perfectly today, and so did I. Good result for both of us.

2 Likes

Been New ND Lake out for the first drive in my new ND (which I picked up yesterday. Probably breaking rules, but drove around some Cheshire country lanes with the hood down for 40 miles. I like my ND :heart_eyes:

16 Likes

Looking good and glad you are enjoying your 1st full day of ND ownership :slight_smile:

What did you have previously, can’t remember and how does it compare?

Needs a wash now - ha ha! not tried it with the hood up yet though!

1 Like

I like a clean ND too :slight_smile: Even with the hood up, it’s still a nice place to be…!

I showed a picture of your ND to the Obergruppenfuhrer and she saw the number plate and said “are you going to call it Duck?”

Thanks for the idea - better that D1CK! but I am one of those (few) that does not name my car… Thanks though.

When the reg came in (DK21 NNF) I did consider if any word or phrases came to mind - mainly to stop me from forgetting it!!!

As you live around the Cheshire area, isn’t that sort of Coronation Street land (never watched it by the way) and don’t you say “are you all reet doock” :joy:

that is a beauty … :heart_eyes:
hopefully i get 1 in next 6 months :innocent: :innocent: