What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

eBay.

1 Like

Tried to diagnose the first Check Engine light I’ve ever had on my 2009 Mk3.5 1.8 (only 22k miles on the clock).

Code reader shows P2119 “Throttle Actuator - Control Throttle Body Range/Performance”

I cleared the code and the light seems to be staying off. I’m hoping it’s a false alarm - I’ll drive it in anger later and see if it comes back!

I can’t find anything on the forum about the P2119 code, so might start a thread in Technical…

1 Like

Check the plug to it hasn’t got wet and begun to corrode the contacts.

Low level signals such as in there are very sensitive to poor connections. Servisol Super 10 is the friend all plugs and switches and other such stuff; they welcome a brief blessing from it for extending life.

3 Likes

Good thinking - I think I’ve got a can of electrical contact cleaner kicking around somewhere. It certainly can’t hurt to give it a spray!

1 Like

Be aware that not all “contact cleaners” are equal.
I’ve tried several other brands which were utterly useless, usually because they were a “Dry” contact cleaner, in other words just a can of isopropanol or similar to degrease and blow out dust.
Avoid WD40 like the plague because it is an insulator, and their Dry contact cleaner just does not work because it does not touch tarnish.
The Servisol Super 10 removes tarnish and leaves a protective lubricating film - it’s something that has probably saved the electronics industry billions by curing intermittent problems and rescuing older equipment.

Only the Servisol works every time, and I’ve been using it for five decades.

1 Like

Good to know - thanks! The can I’ve got is some Maplin own brand “Electrical Contact Cleaner”, which I bought about 10 years ago to try and get rid of a crackling noise when changing the volume on an old school stereo amplifier. From memory, I don’t think it completely fixed that particular problem.

For the sake of £6, I’ll get a can of Servisol ordered

So much better. All MK3’s should have fogs.

Spent all of 30 seconds fitting a Moss stubby aerial.
Took a bit longer driving down to Bristol to collect it :grinning:
(In mitigation, I did have other business there as well.)

Moss Europe show these as out of stock on the website but I e-mailed the shop directly and the Bristol store had 3 (now 2). May be worth trying this for other parts. You can either pre-pay and collect or they will ship from the local branches.

Bought chromed door cup holder and door cupholder strip from MX5Parts. A lot of people have asked if they could be made in a satin finish but it doesn’t look like they ever will so I took a grey scuff pad to them and now they look like brushed stainless steel (scuffed parts on left side).

7 Likes

Good idea, I prefer the brushed ali look. Got the very same trim parts on mine in chrome, I feel a little fettling needs doing.:+1:

1 Like

only 1 left now as I got 1 posted out to me today!

1 Like

The seller has offered me those now for £80…I presume you can make him the same offer and get them a bit cheaper.

1 Like

I like that! You now have something that whilst subtle, is different to the ones available. I had these and most other chrome bits on my previous NC1 (I like chrome) but highlighting different bits in ‘brushed alloy’ is also very nice. Well done. :+1:

Barrie

Just made some out of 1mm HDPE. It was easy to cut with a craft knife and rigid enough for the job. I fitted them behind the liner and it was easy to get the holes correct as you can mark them through the existing holes. I just used the 2 existing fixings and it is plenty strong enough.
Many thanks for the idea.

If I find the size and shape is wrong it will be easy to make some new ones now I have the pattern.
:heart:

3 Likes

Looks like some serious rubber there?

Woke up bored… how to entertain myself this morning ?

I think I’ll remove front of car just to see what lurks behind.

Pleased to see only minimal surface rust, even on sills.

Did manage to break 3 location tabs off sill skirts… doh.

Buzzweld protection products now on order to fettle inner steel work.

Wings were in good nick also with only minimal rust on lip.

1 Like

Hunter Alignment Day at Pro-Grip of Larbert.
Excellent customer service , definitely would recommend them, John did a great Job

4 Likes

That’s a good alignment nearly identical with what I run mine at on my NC2 . I find the car drives very well with it .:+1:

1 Like

I shaved.

1 Like