What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Many thanks… I was quite pleased with my first attempt… J

This was purchased for our Daughter but I love driving it… it’s simply brilliant :grinning:

2 Likes

:smile:
I think we can all relate to that.

Be careful, they’re addictive, especially in this beautiful weather. :wink:

All the best,
Guy

2 Likes

“New to the MX5”… :thinking:

Hmm…Sound More Like: “Hiding Ones Light Under a Bushel” :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you… but I’m really not very good at all…

1 Like

Credit Where Credit is Due

Accept a Compliment

You Are Going to Be a Great New Member

Enuf…Already :grinning:

2 Likes

Replaced front discs and pads, and rear light-cluster grommets. Still got screen grille screws and grommets to do before the weather turns.

What I didn’t do is this …

3 Likes

Changed Mk sidelight fittings for new ones. An indicator bulb had failed; not been touched in 17 years. At first it seemed to be corroded it; it was that as well. But 17+ years earlier, someone had changed the indicator bulbs to mirrored orange bulbs, when they detangoed the sidelight fittings. But I reverted to stock look but never changed the (working) bulbs.

The bulb had to be smashed to extract. Besides corrosion, in an act of bodgery, someone had fitted a bulb with the bayonet fittings at 4 and 8 O’clock, not 3 and 9 o’clock

No amount of emery cloth polishing the bulb holder could restore reliability to the blinker, so new part loom procured

In a second event, the car ran hot, but that I mean in towns the temperature gauge rose to three quarters, but never boiled. The thermostat had failed in the closed position. Gave 275,000kms of service, so no complaints. At the moment, the thermostat has been gutted (rather than removed) until a new one is had. Interestingly, even on a run, without a thermostat, the temperature never drops below 3/8ths, and the heater remains decently hot. That and the lack of boiling I attribute to the Evans coolant. Previously, on another Roadster, I recall when the thermostat failed open, on a run, the gauge showed pretty cold, and the heater ran cold. That car had conventional water + antifreeze.

1 Like

Liking ‘New’ saz9961 type post :smiley:

Cleaned ND hood drain filters.

2 Likes

Fitted new speakers to my NB…

4 Likes

Vacuumed it, washed it, waxed it, blow-dried it, fed it.

The NC desperately needed it after a week each in sandy IOW and dusty Lincolnshire, and not forgetting all the pollen and fly-splats.

All this extremely unusual high level of activity is in preparation for taking a good friend to the Silverstone Classic on Saturday. Our wives are doing “something more interesting” but I cannot imagine what it might be.

6 Likes

Detailed the car.
Clay bar
Compound cut
Polish cut
Wax
Drive

2 Likes

Amazing how much road grime a clay bar takes out​:+1:t2::+1:t2:

In all honestly it’s in very good condition body wise. The claybar removed some green film and dirt…

I thought mine was……After washing I used a clay bar to get all the old road grime out so the paintwork was smooth, then polished the car with Britemax Black Max polish. I then removed all the excess polish off with Gtech panel wipe. Finally a coat of Gyeon Q2 Cancoat.
That was in April and the Gyeon Q2 has really kept it smooth and grime free👍🏻

1 Like

Me Neither…

[And I Was a Wife for Several Years…Sorry Sisters !]

3 Likes

As most of our wives are probably concerned, “playing” with our MX-5s is probably the least interesting thing that they can think of :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Battery Box Cover With testing unit, the Unit will test battery charge Rate, percentage still to charge, CTEK battery input for maintenance, & input from the alternator.

2 hours scrap 1mm ally hey presto battery box cover made for the ND2 now ready to be sent off to be covered carbon fibre effect hydro dipped …

3 Likes

OK

As Someone Who Has/Had Their Foot in Both Camps [MX5 Devotee but Experience of Wife Married Late Hubbie…Non Driver…Knew Nothing About Cars] :upside_down_face:

It Depends on the Task

e.g. Get the Dog Hair Out of the MX5 Carpet or Get the Dog Hair Out of the House Carpets

My Choice would be House Carpets

e.g. Polish the MX5 or Polish the Silver

My Choice would be the MX5

Chores You Have to Do But Hate or Chores You Have to Do [But Actually Give You Pleasure & Pride & Sense of Achievement]

Gender Designated Roles [Male & Female] allocated to all of us from birth

You’d Have to Have a ‘Heart to Heart’ with the Missus to Actually Discern What They Really Think/Feel

Generally It’s Just Easy For All of Us to Conform to Stereotype !

Would have loved late hubbie to have been into cars…but he was born & bred & raised London so what he didn’t know about rail & bus timetables wasn’t worth knowing !

Meanwhile hope Bullit Battery OK as I Continue the ‘Autoglym’ Experiment :joy:

Darn GP ‘Threw Me a Googly’ by Changing All My Meds Last Week :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Fitted reconditioned headlights with new bulbs (old ones were yellow with sun damage)
New brembo front discs.
Fitted some recommend LED fog light bulbs that I bought probably a year ago, they look nice. Painted calipers the only color a single piston basic caliper should be BLACK! :sweat_smile:

Was surprised to see 2 screws in the mx5 disc, when I had just before that changed some 2016 ford fiesta front discs where they had 0 screws and just used the wheel hub to hold the disc on. The ford version would be so much less problematic in the future, no seized or rounded screws to deal with.

Overall once you get the jacking point sussed out on the MK3 is a very simple car to work on.

2 Likes