What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

That’s my task for tomorrow - well, if i can still weld that is!!!

The Moss stubby works fine for DAB in my RF :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Was going to give her a wash and wax, but it’s raining here…:frowning::sweat_drops::umbrella:

Mine is an IL motorsports version from mx5parts and having sat in the car with the radio on, it works. Haven’t the best reception in my area either.

I’ve swapped to IL Motorsport aerial from MX5 Parts too. Decent FM reception, not got DAB so can’t comment on that:

4 Likes

Lovely car. I especially like the black roof, and I am considering getting my Galaxy Grey NC done just like it - it would go beautifully with my black alloys. Tell me please, is your windscreen surround black too, or is it body colour ?

Hi Chris, it’s black too:

5 Likes

Attempted a lot - achieved very little. Wired up the new horns, pressed the button - not a peep, literally! Connections look okay but I didn’t use the correct ones, just whatever I had lying around, so a trip to Halfords tomorrow.

Then tried changing the gearbox and diff. oil but no joy as all four drain and fill bolts seized, so squirted them with WD-40 and will try again tomorrow.

The only good thing to come out of crawling around underneath the car was that I found out why my exhaust is so loud. A previous owner has removed the stock mid-pipe and replaced it with a straight-through - i.e. no cat and no resonator! I’m amazed it passed an MOT recently - just shows how effective the manifold cat is.

12 Likes

Fitted the front mounting panel and tower brace, 1 hour 15 minutes, cleaned out the crud from under the plastic cowl as well.

3 Likes

:astonished:

Oh my!

Could you have blown the fuse?
A lot of people on here seem to think you can’t simply bolt new horns on as they will draw more amps.

1 Like

Hi, I know it’s been discussed a few times before with those that say yes and those that say no. My Hella twin tone horns came with a relay (for obvious reasons) and additional (recommended) inline fuse, so fitted those.
“Might” be of use for you. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A box of goodies arrived today with some shiny bits that once fitted you will never see :grinning: catted manifold and cams :grinning:

4 Likes

I was thinking of buying one of those (the manifold). Let us know if there is any increase in noise levels after fitting.

I have used the included relay and fitted an in-line fuse, and also checked it hasn’t blown. I can verify there is power getting to the relay, and power from the horn button, bit it gets tricky to test when you’ve no-one to press the button. I improvised by using a camera tripod between the seat back and horn button to keep it depressed while I checked. Strangely, I was getting power to the relay for five seconds or so, then nothing for about twenty seconds, then power again. I’m assuming there is some protection somewhere to prevent overheating, but not entirely convinced.

I am expecting a small increase in noise, I will report back

Ahhh, okay.
Hopefully you will get to the bottom of it and happy hunting.
Good luck with the the oil changes too.
Did mine about 3 weeks ago and a little inconvenient on your back getting to the gearbox ones. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Intention, wash the car, check oil and top up washer bottle.
Actually did, oil and washer bottle, it never left the garage because it started raining.:-1:

1 Like

Snap… Lovely car. Just getting used to mine.

1 Like