What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Have plans to either refurbish the original wheels or to swap for something different. But in the meantime, this wheel had areas of lacquer peel. So, tonight, I flatted back the loose flakes from the spokes and rim edges and gave it a couple of coats of fresh lacquer. I only did the flat areas, not the whole wheel. Let it go off , in this warmth didn’t take long and polished up to look a lot more presentable for the short term. Happy with the outcome .

3 Likes

Finally after almost 6 months waiting for new stock to be made I fitted a Davefab coolant expansion header tank. 20 minute job. FYI the ONLY stockists at the moment are Moss and MX-5 Parts. Processing: 1000029525.jpg…

7 Likes

N/S/R Brake Caliper supplied and fitted…[issue came up during full service in Feb]

Plus Corrosion Check and Battery put on trickle charge [no electrics in garage I rent for NB 2.5 1.8 Icon]

Me: ‘So you think her chassis is sound’

Mechanic: ‘Well I left her on the top level of the hoist/ramp (?) resting on her chassis last night and she was still up there this morning so yeah think her chassis is ok’

:rofl:

I wanted to give him :hugs:

So :crossed_fingers:

Bullit should be okay for MOT Sept too

Very, very, very Happy Bunny today :grin:

9 Likes

Drove to Romford to have new hood fitted at ALLHOODS, who advertise the the magazine. Great job, but as they are inside the ULEZ zone you will have to pay your bribe to the mayor to get there.

7 Likes

Looks great :heart_eyes:

Went to work on the soft top with the 3 bottle treatment from Renovo. I’ve used it before, then used Autoglym and Fabsil Gold but thought it worth giving Renovo a go again especially as the fabric was looking a little grey in places, it is a 19 year old roof after all.

I’m guessing it’ll start raining soon enough so I’ll see how successful it’s been :man_shrugging::joy:

**** 6 days on and several drenchings later. The soft top is doing pretty well all things considered :hugs:

7 Likes

I love a mechanic with a sense of humour, although some of 'em can be real jokers! :wink:

1 Like

Bit of a clean up day after a run out now ready for the meet at caffeine & Machine tomorrow night :

15 Likes

Indeed :cowboy_hat_face:

[Finally got my State Pension last month as a WASPI woman] aged 66 yrs

Passed me Driving Test Feb 1979 [aged 20 yrs]

One thing I’ve learnt in 46 yrs of driving [especially as a female] is

TRUSTED MECHANIC IS VITAL [good news or bad…just tell me the truth]

So ‘Stern Voice’ when she failed due to needing welding/undersealing and was in dry dock for 3 months whilst I waited in queue for this work

But they also take into consideration around MOT time the age of the vehicle and their knowledge of her so not been nit-picky so far

Good tradesmen are always busy, it’s worth waiting in line for the right bloke to do the job, and if it’s any consolation, mechanics lie to me now and then but usually back down when they realise i might know more than they do. :wink:
That pension situation is a total liberty! Why the government couldn’t graduate the entitlement is a mystery. I have a neighbour who was TWO DAYS outside the cut off period and had to work the extra six years…totally unfair. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Concur :handshake:

“You’re Not As Green as You’re Cabbage Looking” I’ve been told

They Should Have Done 63 yrs for both Genders me thinks

1 Like

Picked it up from the body shop this afternoon after having the blue hardtop painted red and some damage to the bumper (thanks to a neighbour) and the sill (thanks to the garage) repaired. Neither of them owned up to it! :rage:

I also fitted a stubby aerial which I think looks much better.

8 Likes

I normally fit my hardtop during the winter months but last year The Precious was off the road for four months following an accident, so last winter I drove it top-down every chance I got. Parked up with the hood exposed to the elements it accumulated a lot of green mould/mildew.

Yesterday I had a go at removing it all. Thanks to recommendations on this forum I used a solution of Milton sterlising tablets (actually Tesco’s own brand cos I’m a skinflint). One tablet in four pints of cold water and a gentle scrub with a scrubbing brush, and toothbrush for the nooks and crannies. I repeated the procedure a couple of hours later and this morning the hood looks like new! Well pleased with that!

Mixing up the fluid reminded me of sterilising milk bottles for the kids many years ago! :grin:

11 Likes

De tango’d the indicators using Leds, fitted a new Led flasher unit to prevent hyperflash. Found another job to do removing tar from the bodywork, drove home on the Hathersage to Castleton road last weekend they’d been resurfacing near the turn for Bamford and laid the chipings on top, further along the road just fresh tarmac, nobody working on the section no signs saying it was due to be done !:man_shrugging::man_facepalming:

1 Like

Its been all week but removing wheel arch liners cleaning up and wax sealing all cavities and holes front and back of the car. Today, on the nearside rear , saw something in the sill cover, so persuaded it out with a rubber mallet. I couldnt undo the lower sill clip and feared it would break, so couldnt get the sill cover off to proper clean it all out. It was unreal the amount of damp mud that came out on the floor. So ND’s will rust like all other MX’s as there are so many mud traps.

Also finished the second coat of Hammerite rust stuff on the whole rear subframe . The rust seem to be starting in the welds and poor coating elsewhere. I now am waiting on some satin chassis paint to paint it all again and then spray inside and outside the subframe with Bilt Hamber and job is done. Many hours spent to stop anything getting worse than it was.

6 Likes

Sold it🥴

It stays in the hands of an OC member, hope you have as much enjoyment Mike as we had, best wishes.:+1:

18 Likes

The Precious looking drop dead gorgeous after her/your trial and tribulations…love it :smiley:

[I’ve cheated recently and got Bullit power washed by hand wash car drive-through as I can’t do this at home address. They did a decent job (including getting the bird dropping off the soft top) and asked me if I wanted them to polish her too. Given I’ve now got the arm muscle strength of a gnat I’ve said OK providing you use my collection of Autoglym products. They looked bemused but then said ‘sure’ …book it in when you can give us more time. So me aged 66 yrs versus 2-3 young chaps …it’s a no-brainer ! Just have to agree a price]

Your post of Precious lifted spirits :+1:

2 Likes

Made the camera mount this time its mounted higher up into the lip spoiler & made from a metal surround for the front camera I need/wanted one due to all the speed humps around where I live its now permanently on with wifi to an old iPhone mounted just under the main infomat screen so it is activated as soon as the ignition is switched on …but I can switch it off any time …if turned off the dash command program comes on … :wink:

Camera screen will record/or take photos just activated by Siri voice command :wink:

Red button CAM… camera is on

when switched off my dash command program comes on :wink:

:index_pointing_at_the_viewer:thanks for taking the time to look :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I mean this as a compliment.
Your interior looks like something from the USS Enterprise-D :astonished:

:wink:

5 Likes

Ha Ha thanks it’s not as bad as it looks but yep l get your drift : :sweat_smile: :wink:

2 Likes