What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Fitted DRLs (well, had daylight running lights fitted!) :smile:

6 Likes

Fitted the brake cooling scoops a friend 3D printed for me, ready for the Blyton track day this weekend. STL file is on thingiverse.

Needed a little fettling and some thought around fitment, but look like they will do the job nicely.

Also knocked up a subframe brace to add to the OEM part. Have been gradually adding other braces under the car so can’t tell a huge difference initially, but its certainly not going to harm. Let’s see after a bit more spirited driving…

4 Likes

Finally got my MeisterR Zeta CRD coilovers and new drop links professionaly fitted today. WOW is all I can say, looks great and although I’ve only driven 30 miles, feels amazing. So pleased. Shout out to JC PERFORMANCE near Westbury. Top photo is a before and after.

4 Likes

Bought it!!:grinning:

Just loving it after waiting 10 years to actually own one. Cheers MickAP, nothing to do to it at the moment, the car has everything on it that I could want (and more).

21 Likes

Looking good, wishing you many happy driving days ahead.:+1:

4 Likes

Fitted the fire extinguisher holder from Squiirl Mods that bolt to the front seat mountings, excellent and doesn’t encroach on passenger leg space.

4 Likes

Fire extinguishers to hand are a great idea. But in an accident can end up being a nasty projectile. I had one bolted to the floor on my Westfield . I had an accident and luckily it missed my sisters feet in the passenger footwell, but punched through the bulkhead . I would have much more than the plastic strap holding it in place than you have.

Appreciate your concern, but will probably have to wait until i replace the extinguisher. Just wanted to let people know that the bracket from Squiirl exists.

You could put some of those velcro straps round it to make sure it doesnt launch and cheaper than a new extinguisher.

I just bought a pack of 30 of those straps in a number of sizes on ebay for £5.99, I expect there would be a size in the pack that would suit.

Pleased to have got the car back from Vincent’s Motor Works. Vincent and Monty had the car for just over a week. Underneath treated, diff swapped out, parking sensors fitted and they even found time to fit the seats I rocked up with in the middle of the week.

Can’t recommend these guys enough. The car is running really well. The only vaguely interesting photo is of the replacement seats which really lift the interior of what is a poverty spec 1.8. I do have the matching door cards but fitting them is looking to be more trouble than it’s worth.

7 Likes

Looks great mate, what’s up with the door cards?

1 Like

Today marks the end… Of spending the last 5 evenings plus all day Saturday protecting the back of the car. Tonight was spraying the Bilt Hamber wax into various orifices and trying not to have it land on you. I have bunged some of the subframe holes to hopefully let it congeal than dump on me, which sort of worked.
The rear shocks at the lower bolt mount looked nasty and at 20 k miles are too new to replace. So, once again went digging in the cupboard and found some 25 year old Hammerite in yellow and is actually pretty close to the Bilstein yellow. I masked just below the Bilstein blue decal and gave them 3 coats . Looks a hundred times better. I am spring changing in the winter, so may give them further love then… or buy the BBR Koni’s but dont tell the wife !

Also, while under the car, I found some dodgy rusty connectors to the fog lights. A pretty poor aftermarket conversion by one of the previous owners that converts the rear reversing lights to make them brake lights and reversing lights. The rear reversing light bulb holder has the coversion plugged in and then the guy drilled 2 rough holes in the boot floor to run the cables to the brake lights to feed it. So, I have 2 rough not grommeted holes in the floor. A vein attempt to spray them with some black stuff that is peeling and rusty holes. I hope I can clean the bulb holder and rip out all this tat back to standard. I have also bought 2 new LED bulbs for the reverse lights. I will potentially drill out the 2 holes with a hole saw and rust prevent and fit rubber grommets to make good the nasty holes.

Overall, I am exhausted. Picture shows the cars exhaust wrapped in plastic to keep the wax off it while I liberally coated inside and outside the subframe. Would I do it again ? No, very much no. Hateful job but in a way happy I did it. There is no reason my car should have rusty bits and I am chasing it out to look good, last and be happy with it too.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’m really pleased with them.

The door cards are from 2009 onwards so have the recessed cup holder. There is an inner door card that needs to mesh with the one you can see. If I try to cut out bits of the inner cards I have, the screw holes don’t line up. Although NC1 door cards can be found second hand for £20 a side, the local breaker wants £125 for the one he has. Mazda, Ipswich want £158 each - and there are none in the UK. I also need half of the inside door handle that clips on - a mere £68 from Mazda - not that they have any of those in the UK either.
All that said, someone has just pointed me towards an eBay listing that are asking £35 each. That might bring the project back to life, if I can use the existing inside door pulls.

I think asking £68 each for a bit of plastic to fit where indicated is daylight robbery!

1 Like

Sold it !

Picking up another on Monday.

6 Likes

Added a helpful little note to my track MX5 to deal with my terrible memory :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Very wise note. Not turning on the GoPro is almost certainly going to result in binning it.

3 Likes

Does look good.
Do you know how much you’ve lowered it by ??

However this is too low and it’s going back to the garage to be raised a bit