What is "sport" about my Sport Venture 1.8 PRHT?

My 2014 55k mile 1.8 MK3.75 is officially registered as the “Sport Venture Edition” and I’m wondering if there is anything “sport” about it. I have what looks like some tired black suspension and springs, probably the standard diff. I assume therefore the car is “standard” height.

When it goes for an underseal next month I was considering getting it lowered and getting the ride/cornering a bit tighter but don’t want to end up lowering it more than the “standard” sport model if that makes sense.

The Mazda MX-5 Venture – sleek, stylish, sporty – defining Mazda’s ability to challenge convention and dare to be different, check out the Mazda MX-5 Venture at << dealer name>>.
The new special edition MX-5 Venture features stylish tan leather seats – with 5-stage seat heaters – and door trim, complemented by contrast stitching. The Mazda MX-5 Venture also features a fully integrated TomTom satellite navigation system with 5.8-inch touch screen incorporated into the MX-5 Ventures premium interior. This state-of-art system is designed to offer the ultimate all-in-one multimedia set up with Bluetooth®* hands-free and iPod connectivity*. As well as boasting the latest TomTom technologies such as IQ Routes™, advanced lane guidance and TomTom LIVE services + including TomTom HD Traffic and Local Search with TomTom places. Whilst the design of the MX-5 Venture stands out the performance and driving dynamics keep your heart racing. The choice of spirited 1.8i 126ps engine or the responsive 2.0i 160ps engine provides impressive power matched with exhilarating handling. Available in classic Soft-top guise with the 1.8i or convention defying Roadster Coupe with a choice of 1.8-litre or 2.0-litre engines, the MX-5 Venture dares to be different. MX-5 Ventures exterior styling combines unique colours including, Copper Red Mica, Crystal Brilliant Black, Stormy Blue Mica and Meteor Grey Mica with sporty 17” bright finish alloys that make the Venture really stand out from the crowd. With prices starting from as low as £18,895 why not contact Norton Way Mazda for a test drive today? The iconic Mazda MX-5 is officially the world’s best selling roadster and continues to express style, spirited performance and defy convention at every turn. And it is business as usual for the latest special edition to grace the Mazda MX-5 range. The MX-5 Venture - sleek, stylish, sporty - defining Mazda’s ability to challenge convention and dare to be different.

• Unique 17-inch Light Gun Metal alloy wheels

• Havana Brown leather seats with 5-stage seat heaters

• Climate control air-conditioning

• Sanyo TomTom satellite navigation

https://ox.mx5oc.co.uk/guide-mx5old.htm

1 Like

I’ve see all that sale stuff but apart from saying “sporty” a few times and some unique colours, I don’t see where the “sport” spec is as compared to, say a 2.0 sport with sports suspension and limited slip diff…

As far as I remember none of the 1.8 came with LSD or bilstien suspension. Take a look on the link I posted above for more details, sometimes it’ll say what the special editions are based on, hence you take the special edition stuff + base model specs and that’s your car.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

The information you posted is actually about my Venture Edition MK3.75:

While the Sport Venture the OP is asking about is a different version, which came out a year or so later after mine, and is a bit different. Body colours and interior trims differ:

The very first Venture was on the MK3.5 and was also a bit different:

So it went: Venture (2012), Venture Edition (2013), then Sport Venture (2014).
I guess the Sport bit was added just to differentiate it from the previous one.

Great post. I think the addition of the word “sport” on my model is misleading since it normally means things like lower posher suspension and LSD etc. I mean, my car didn’t even come with the exterior badges :grinning:

The only Sport bit I could see on my Venture was the strut brace.

Oh, the top brace under the bonnet? I thought they all have them. Is there also an additional one underneath?

1 Like

Mazda UK come over as a substantially marketing organisation. They have good copy writers.

If there is such a thing as a “sporty” mx5, then where are these unsporty MX5s? So its just marketing speak. It would have been called something else in Japan.

1 Like

All that said sport was not necessarily so! :wink:

6 Likes

It meant something when my 2.0 petrol Mazda6 Sport was built back in 2013, it has 20bhp more than that year’s SE and SE-L (162 vs 142bhp). It also has bigger wheels/low-profile tyres and a few other upgrades over the standard model.

1 Like

I feel short-changed. I don’t even have the Sport Venture badge :joy:

Ok… what about the word “turbo”… i have seen it on vaccum cleaners for crying out loud :joy:

2 Likes

And on our toaster!

Although it does have a fan, and a very complicated high speed cooking sequence (according to my power meter).

It is carefully designed to defeat the normal human who underestimated the toasting time; second time around, if the reheat button is not instantly pressed, it converts under-done to charcoal in seconds!

2 Likes

I think the lack of badge is due to the Sport Venture being part of the MX-5 range, rather than a special edition as such.

1 Like

I like the lack of badges. On my Swift Sport I took them all off except the “S”.

The Sport Venture does have wing badges, I viewed a couple last year.
The dealer positions them at delivery point or maybe not sometimes.:+1:

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that.
Is it because the same special edition has a different name in each country?

1 Like

UK brochure for the 2014 “Sport Venture”

German brochure for the 2014 “Sendo”

Dutch brochure for the 2014 “Silver Edition”

2 Likes