What is the Soundtrack to your MX-5 experience?

By that - which songs do you love listening to in your MX-5?  Top 3:

1. Kylie Minogue Wow

2. Britney Spears - Womanizer

3. Britney Spears - Circus

Yuck
Oh well, we all have different tastes.  :wink:

1. Boston - More Than a Feeling
  2. Wishbone Ash -Top of the World
  3. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
    Those seem to sum up what it’s like driving in the sunshine with the top down…

Ha. That’s almost spooky - I was just thinking earlier of starting a driving music thread! I’m going to want to fill an MP3 CD, or perhaps a nice big memory card with driving tunes so I’d love some suggestions!
 Let’s see… At the top of my list, I’d put Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen. Easily my favourite song to drive to. After that, I am partial to Bohemian Rhapsody as well, and to be honest most other stuff by Queen and Meat Loaf.
Also quite like The Beach Boys and The Monkees (I’d be showing my age here, if they weren’t all well before my time!) but I also like driving to a bit of Rammstein, at least as long as the car stereo is up to the challenge! The other half has just got a couple of Duffy CDs, and they’re not bad either, although much more chilled - good for motorways, perhaps.
There are also a few classical tracks I couldn’t miss out, The Dambusters March, 1812 Overture, Rule Brittania, Nimrod, Pomp and Circumstance, Fanfare for the Common Man…
OK, that’ll do. I think I’ve shown myself to have a wild and varied taste! I’m still interested to see what everyone else picks though!

George Clinton.

Just done an MP3 disc with about 12 albums on including,in no particular order:

Seasick Steve

Mike Oldfield

Duffy

Beatles

Jethro Tull

Pictures at an Exhibition- sols piano

Kasey Chambers

Rilo Kiley

Something for every occasion.

Peter

How to do this without writing an essay length post!! If it’s summer I’ve got to play some of my cheesey tunes to make me feel like I’m in dropping down to Biarritz circa 1967 in a classic Ferrari or Lambo ( I’m such a big kid!)

i.e. The theme from the Thomas Crown Affair - Noel Harrison

On Days Like These - Matt Monroe

South American Getaway - Burt Bacharach

Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra

Something Big - Burt Bacharach etc etc

…for a straight married man I have to admit to Burt Bacharach being a very guilty pleasure:)

Something more modern might be;

Human Fly - The Cramps

Baby Fratelli - The Fratelli’s

Reason Is Treason - Kasabian

or pretty much anything by Iggy Pop and The Stooges but especially I Wanna Be Your Dog …thankfully I hook my iPhone up and play whatever I fancy at the time but I do make various driving playlists. BTW - I much prefer driving by myself with the tunes on than with a passenger, better to let the music flow and the driving follow suit!

Some of the answers above are doing nothing to fix the MX5s image problem.

My soundtrack goes like this:

Tish, skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch, bawrp bawrp, skreeeeeeeetch, tish, skreeeeeeeeeetch. Repeat until tyres are dead.

Before I god rid of the stereo it was mostly Electric Six “Gay bar”

I never drive without a CD in the slot!

Hmm right, 5 driving faves. It really depends on what i’m listening to at the time, i just take that particular album out with me. But if i could choose a few favourite driving choons in no particular order:

Talk Talk- Such a Shame or Life’s what you make it

Stevie Wonder- Misstra Know it All

Andrew Gold- Never Let Her Slip Away or Lonely Boy

Queen- A Kind of Magic/Under Pressure

My Chemical Romance- I Don’t Love You or Disenchanted

808 State- Olympic Flutey Mix or Pacific State

Kraftwerk- The Model or Ohm Sweet Ohm

Bob Marley- One Love

U2- It’s a Beautful Day or Staring at The Sun

Bob Sinclair ft Gary Nesta Pine- Love Generation

Dvorak- New World Symphony

An eclectic mix if ever there was one but i do like the odd tune i must admitWink

Cheers

Ben

I did say Burt was a VERY guilty pleasure[:$][8][H]

Recently its been mostly Kings of Leon’s newest CD, or Queens of the Stone Age’s Songs for the Deaf CD. Sometimes it’s obscure Brazillian electronica (Amon Tobin), sometimes its UNKLE’s War Stories (much used by Top Gear), sometimes something very obscure from the Middle East.  Oh and Terry Hall & Mushtaq’s ‘The Hour of Two Lights’ CD is fab too.

Thankfully I’ve taken to carrying my 20GB Creative Zen in the car with FM transmitter thingy, so have ~250 albums worth of stuff on there - result! 

Strangely I associate certain songs/albums with different journeys or runs in the car… like when I drove down to Birmingham for Top Gear Live thing at the NEC in 2007, I listened to Ray LaMontagne on repeat then - and every time I listen to that album, I’m reminded of the journey.

Well at least this post is opening my mind to other kinds of music, as half of it I have never heard of!  It does indeed depend on whether the roof is up or not - as I have only had my MX5 for a matter of days I am yet to even go topless!  Everytime I get a new car, it has to be christened with the latest Kylie toon - this occasion has been Boombox from the album of the same title. 

The question is now what to listen to on the first time I have the roof down…   I’m thinking Cheeky Girls - Cheeky Holiday! haha

How do you get on with your FM transmitter? Which one is it?
I use a Belkin Tunecast 3 with my 60GB Zen, but it really winds me up with a number of stupid design problems.
I have the volume on the mp3 player set as loud as I can without it distorting (and it’s nearly full on anyway), and it still cuts out on quiet passages with its crappy silence detector. Once it has beeped the first time to tell me it’s thinking of shutting down, there is no way of stopping it even if the music starts again until it goes off. I don’t use the batteries, it’s powered from the cigarette lighter.
Also, when turning it on, if my finger slips off the power button before the 2 seconds required to recognise that yes I do want to turn it on, it wipes the frequency settings in the two presets.
Someone didn’t do enough end user testing before releasing it.

It’s a Belkin Tunecast 2 I’ve got - works fine, other than being a bit crackly (but I have probs with radio reception anyway as I changed the long whip style aerial for a wee stubby one for aesthetic reasons!).  It does eat batteries though, so I think I’ll have to either find a car charger for it or swap to rechargeable batteries. 

Only nuisance is to turn it off, you have to press the up and down tuning buttons together - and it’s a tad fiddly, and I have tiny hands!  Mine’s turns on automatically as soon as it detects input from my Zen.  Zen gets wedged between passenger seat and central console (buttons locked so they don’t get pressed accidentally) and the tunecast goes in the ashtray - sorted [Y]

Not sure if this is any help as I use either my iPod or iPhone which may be different to the Zen things but I use a Griffin iTrip AutoPilot which is brilliant - if Griffin make stuff compatable with other MP3 players it might be worth looking into.

Never had any problems with mine and I have no aerial at all, recharges and powers from the cigarette lighter with pause/play/fwd/back controls on the cigarette lighter bit too. Also has auto tuning which is helpful on long journeys. Obviously, no involvement with the company other than having been very happy with this and two of their other products.

At the moment 10,000 Fists by Disturbed, I’m not sure offhand what the next disc is, think it’s either Rammstein or Evanescence.

So there is a benefit to being single and owning an MX-5Big Smile

Cheers

Ben

[8] I have all but given up on my Zen in the car so these days I am mostly listening to radio 2 [8]

Any good Soul / Motown or 70s Jazz/Funk works for me [Y]

Santa bought me the new Seal album  & Stevie Wonders The Definitive Collection [:D]

No offence to the OP but if anything by Britney Spears came on id drive into a brick wall on purpose just so i didnt have to listen [:S]

Beat it - MJ

Sex is on Fire - Kings of Leon

Any Bob Marley