What is your favourite beer?

The wine thread of a similar name appears to be going well - Unsurprisingly…!
Can split this one slightly in to the beer you keep at home and the one you love in the pub (Remember them?) !! :thinking:
Rob

Always in the fridge at home is

And in the pub

3 Likes

So much choice - so little time!

From a pub, the “old” iteration of Marson’s Pedigree before the Burton Union Set was ripped out - you knew you’d got a good pint if there was a faint smell of shire-horse before taking a sip :grin:

When it’s on offer at the local super…

2 Likes

Oakham Citra and then St Austell Proper Job.
Both Hoppy IPA’s

Brooklyn lager bottled

Iced cold Weiss beer :hugs:

2 Likes

Deya, Verdant , Pliney, Humble Sea

None of the above. Alas.

But then any form of alcohol gave me up forty years ago (instant hangover - totally weird).

However, recently (only six or seven years ago I think) I tasted (just a tongue-wet each) a few heavenly delights my friends were drinking from the Milton Brewery in the brewery pub at the end of a day-long walk to Cambridge. Each of those was outstanding, nectar.

Anything from Milton Brewery is well worth a try, according to my expert friends.

Caledonian Eighty Shilling (now called Edinburgh Castle) though it’s only available in Scotland, can’t even mail order it :frowning: There is a Cornish 80 shilling that’s quite good mind. :slight_smile:

Oh, and being English I like my beer at room temperature! :smiley:

Adelscott and Pelforth Brown, neither of them available in the UK.
Roll on the next trip to France.

Badger Tanglefoot or FurstyFerret if I need low alcohol. Otherwise HSB or 6X.

1 Like

As a Burtonian and growing in a town where the aroma of brewing hung over the town there is nothing quite like a pint of Pedigree. Although having lived in Yorkshire for nearly 30 years a pint of Black Sheep comes close.

2 Likes

Warstiener

:nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I’ve only ever once had the privilege of visiting Yorkshire, holidaying in a cottage in Coverdale and discovered Black Sheep, Rigwelter & Boltmaker. My wife loathes beer so my tasting sessions were limited to outings on the bicycle. Bizarrely the hills on the ride home weren’t so much of a problem after a lunchtime pint.

My local, Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop & Collusion are good, fresh from the brewery, but those Yorkshire beauties are hard to beat.

2 Likes

As far as I am aware Marstons still use the Burton Union system for Pedigree. I seem to remember there was a proposal to take it out, as Bass had done, but Pedigree fans made their feelings known and it was kept in use.

As I live not far from the brewery, I keep it local, last bottle of Bass consumed last night, only got these two left.

1 Like

Many great bitters listed above and I think my favourite of those would be the one I’m drinking at the time, although a couple of decades ago they had a firkin of Smiles Exhibition sitting on the bar as a guest beer at a pub I visited and that was the absolute Nectar of the Gods.

A few years later I visited the same pub and it had changed hands. I asked for a pint of 6X which was one of their regular beers the last time I visited and the bemused barmaid told me they didn’t have that, but they did have 4X. I almost ran out screaming!

1 Like

3 Likes

I used to frequent a pub in Derby just up from the train station, naturally it was called the Station Inn. They did the best pint of Bass in the world, well I’ve ever tasted in this country anyway. Sat in the jug at the back of the bar, regularly replenished from the cellar. Nothing came close to that anywhere when ordering a pint of Bass.
Sadly all good things come to an end, the landlord retired so did we as customers, not been in for a good few years now.

When my wife worked in the offices at Bass I did enjoy a bottle or two of White Shield. We used to get it by the crate as part of her beer allowance, those were the days.