What is your favourite wine?

Well said! :face_with_monocle: Hic!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Now that’s interesting :+1: I like a Malbec and that seems a great price? Might give that one a whirl!

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-grapevine-argentinian-malbec-75cl/4088600221878

Pity you can only buy 15 at a time! :nerd_face:

As the manager of my team is Marcelo Bielsa, an Argentinian, would be a shame not to share a wine from his home country :rofl::rofl:

Barrie

Hands down the best wine money can buy… in my humble opinion.

I like both kinds. Red and White. :joy:

When we lived in Surrey we used to do 24hr trips to France on the ferry for about £20, stay near Arras, and go to the supermache and buy half a dozen bottles for around the 2eu price; go to the hotel and sample them all and make a buying decision for the next day.
We would come back with sixty or seventy bottles of wine and a few bottles of Ricard for about a hundred quid.

I will miss those weekends! Cheap hotel in an ancient town, steak frite for dinner, great road trip, and it all paid for by the savings on a few months wine supply.

Not a trip for the mx5 though… cx5 capacity required.

1 Like

Been there, bought that…
We were staying at Dartmouth, and not much room in the NC for lots of wine…

Within the brethren it is quite commonly called “Fastbuck Abbey”. :innocent:

1 Like

Scottish brethren its knows as F**kedfast or Wreck the Hoose Juice

Genuinely though, a cold bottle on a hot day, I dont think you can do any better.

As far as actual wine wine, I think for supermarket stuff I love anything by Ned which is a NZ wine or anything 19 crimes is good too.

1 Like

Red

Guvnor

(that is the name)

This is something I feel quite passionate about.
Up to 2 years ago I visited the Bordeaux region of France yearly. This went on for around 8 years.
Each year I visited the local vineyards both cheap and expensive.
After much ‘research’ I came to the conclusion my favourite wine came from the Saint Emilion region, more specifically the village of At Christophe des Bardes.
Unfortunately the wine cannot be bought in the UK.

If I were to choose my favourite budget wine I’d go for Chateau Le Temple from north Médoc. It cost around 5 euros but was far better than £10 bottles of wine from UK supermarkets.

1 Like

They keep the best for themselves!

One of the best whites we ever tasted (and bought) was by “Mireille et Vincent” just near the town of Valreas (in the middle of that bit of Provence that is not attached to Provence, ie Enclave des Papes)

We enjoyed a degustation and all agreed one of the samples was outstanding, so much better than the rest, and then our host Mireille herself showed us the label, it had won a silver medal in the world wine championships.

It was quite expensive almost 3euros a bottle (this in 2008), when everything elsewhere was significantly less than a euro per litre put in your own five litre plastic bins from what looked like a petrol pump nozzle.

Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, pretty much any label as long as it’s from New Zealand.

Waitrose Good Ordinary Claret… £5.89
and . Waitrose Reserve Claret… £6.49 .

Lidl… Thornicker St MIchael… Mosel £4.99 .

Actually, I’d not touch Buckie with a bargepole but each their own. To me it even smells utterly vile.
Take a look at it’s chemical ingredients.
I do use “it” though, but the bottle must be 20 odd years old. Pop a little in an egg cup, immerse whichever Hornby 00 bit needs cleaning, spotless next morning…just like a lot of other under the sink concoctions too I suppose.
But drink? Drink?

2 Likes

I think the word “Tonic” give it away, and others of the ilk. :thinking: It probably starts life as a cheap (imported red?) wine and then they add the herbs, spices, and other “stuff” to it. :face_with_monocle: Let it “mature” for a while and “BINGO” you’ve got yourself an expensive “tonic wine”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’s just a “posher” version of Sanatogen! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

A decent Malbec is pretty high on the list, but I’m not too fussy.

1 Like

Yes, Guvnor is very good (and so is the Rose) and another vote from me for Chateau Musar. I also like Majestic’s “Majestic loves…” range, great value for £5.99 ish. I can fit several cases in the back of the NA too…and one in the passenger seat

My favourite at the moment is a plain label 17% Shiraz, :heart: but it’s for “special occasions” only now as I’m down to the last 3 bottles. :sob:

1 Like

I know little about wines, I signed up to the Times Wine Club (only worth doing at the offer price if you are a heathen like me! :D) - it help my learn the things I didn’t like and do like!

So i’m a big soft South American fan. I can’t remember any of the names of any I like though, classic. On the plus side, every bottle is a surprise :smiley:

2 Likes

Yesterday in the garden.

2 Likes

If you like a merlot, Sainsbury sometimes have a McGuigan Black Label Reserve for about £6. It is gold in a glass. They have other varieties also as Black Label, but the Merlot is sublime (to my taste buds anyway).

2 Likes