What Is Your Top Down Weather?

Not necessarily. The hood is much more sheltered when down, will receive some heat from the cabin and it will take time for it to get as cold as it would be after leaving it overnight in cold conditions. It also depends on the length of your journey and whether the ambient temperature has got warmer. Personally I have never found the hood stiff when putting it back up compared to how stiff it may have been to put down in the first place. Anyway, this is my personal experience and off course depends on many factors.

I leave for work 5.30 in the morning and use the mx all year round ,if its not raining the roof goes down even in cold mornings ,heater on hat on happy chap ā€¦

6 Likes

As long as itā€™s not pouring down continuously. Not worried by temperature - heater and A/C take care of that but I donā€™t like soaking the inside of the cabin. There is nothing like a crisp winters day on the open road with the top down.

3 Likes

Absolutely :+1:and not forgetting that lovely smell of burning leaves wafting around :maple_leaf:

We set off like this but 30 minutes later we put the top down. It was snowing and laying over Glencoe but we battled on manfully to Cruachan Power Station where the underground temperature was positively tropical.

:heart:

2 Likes

I absolutely think of my MX5 as an open topped car. The roof is just for when itā€™s parked or raining. The powered electric roof (NC ā€˜Kendoā€™) is great but has caught me out in a sudden cloudburst when you have to find somewhere to stop first. Nothing better than snow on the ground (pref not the road) some sun and the top down. A clever piece of design that it just doesnā€™t get windy inside the car.

3 Likes

Dry :joy:

-2C is my ā€œbestā€ so far, in the NC PRHT. Canā€™t get that low in the NA 'cos the heater isnā€™t powerful enough and no heated seats.

5 Likes

Anything other than raining is good enough for the roof down in my NBFL.
Iā€™ve had 2 hardtop convertibles, and those roofs take about 30 seconds to come down or up. In my MX5 it takes about 3 seconds. So if I change my mind, easily remedied!
I always think of my car as somewhere Iā€™m ā€œoutsideā€ with, and not cocooned inside a heated mobile room like many cars are like.

1 Like

As long as it is not raining more than a few drops, then the hood is down.

Looking forward to getting my new ND, as it seems that getting the hood up again without getting out of the car is possible again due to a catch between the seats.

I had an NA and when I was 30 and had one I could put the hood up by reaching back whilst sat in the car, but I cannot do this anymoreā€¦

Therefore in the NA, knowing I had to stop and get out to put the hood up meant I was more careful with the weather, but hopefully when I get my ND I can be more daring!

2 Likes

If you suffer from any sort of complaint that reduces upper body/neck movement i.e. arthritis, you wonā€™t find it easy, and you may still have to dismount to get the hood up. How do I know? Arthritic neck!

1 Like

First rule of thumb is that itā€™s dry and no rainā€¦ or at the moment no snow ! :ok_hand:

Whenever I remember! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m told that soft tops can crack if put down in weather thatā€™s too cold. Anyone know what the threshold is, and if thereā€™s one for PRHT?

I find a bridge very useful. It was needed once coming back from Oulton Park, and all was fine until I got near Rotherham and the speed dropped, when an emergency ā€œpit-stopā€ was needed to stay dry :slight_smile:

PRHT only has the rubber seals to worry about - which are very expensive to replace. If they freeze onto the mating surface it might tear a bit out before the motors reach the stall-current limit.
So Iā€™ve treated my seals with Gummi Pfledge to minimise their willingness to be wetted or stick while retaining flexibility.
Silicone wipe is an alternative for water repellency, but can migrate onto the paintwork.

Top is down in all weathers but for rain. Cold no problem.

3 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

It always feels positively wrong to get in the Mx5 and not put the top down ( as long as itā€™s not monsoon rain )
But is it just me? You see these large Mercedes, BMWā€™s cabriolet convertibles and invariably they never have the hood down unless itā€™s 30 degrees outside.

1 Like

95% of the time the roof is down, (We donā€™t tend to go out in the '5 if it is raining), so only time the roof is up is if we are out and it starts to rain, and then only if the rain is heavy enough to start wetting the interiorā€¦

1 Like