What Is Your Top Down Weather?

I have the roof down even in light rain and hope for no traffic jams!

1 Like

Well am just north of Newcastle upon Tyne, a small former mining toon called Blyth, where men are menā€¦and most ov th wimmin are tooā€¦we divvent even wear wa tops in winter ! so nee kind ov weathaz ganna put me off tekkin th roof doon !

3 Likes

I confess to not putting the top down on the soft top NB if it gets colder than about 2 degrees, but thatā€™s only to avoid cracking the top.

I also confess to driving two MX5s with hard tops recently. But thatā€™s only because I donā€™t have another car to transport a hard top.

Mostly drive with a hardtop on, I much prefer it and it makes a more solid drive. Only ever take the hard top off for a few months of the year for a change, June to August.

Now I am of the thought that the roof should always be down and only be put up when the rain is getting biblical.

2 Likes

Agreed! Drove to the shops with my wife at the weekend; before we left she mentioned that it was a bit cold outside, and would I mind keeping the roof upā€¦no chance! It was actually a really nice evening, but I saw at least 4 people driving about in convertibles who didnā€™t have the roof down. Youā€™ve got to make the most of it!

2 Likes

When I got the car in February 2020, the roof would always be down, unless there was a combination of torrential rain and slow traffic.
But as I have a PRHT, I have had to learn to preserve the battery, and avoid operating the roof on very short journeys.
As for the cold, if the door seals cope with it, the roof seals should too.
Minus 2 Celsius was the coldest, but at 70mph on a clear night, it felt amazing.

1 Like

Pretty much anytime Iā€™m in the car on my own unless itā€™s raining or Iā€™m doing a lengthy journey on the motorway (traffic noise isnā€™t good for my tinnitus).

I also have a PRHT, and hadnā€™t considered the demand on the battery! Have you been caught out?

I havenā€™t, but thatā€™s because I have paid attention to the warning sign: if it takes more than 2 seconds for the engine to fire up when I turn the ignition key on, I know that I need a long journey to recharge the battery up.
I did read on here that you need to drive at least 3 miles in order to get back the amount of energy required just to start the engine. And I play the music rather loudly when out of town. It all adds up.

2 Likes

Absolutely !!

I always have the roof down, every month of the year, morning noon and night. The only exception is when itā€™s raining and even then it has to be pretty much full on raining. Fine drizzle is really only a problem when you stop :sweat:.

2 Likes

If only we could keep going and goingā€¦ and ā€œdonā€™t stopā€ā€¦!
Iā€™ll get my coatā€¦ :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oZsyJgNVnQ

1 Like

As long as itā€™s dry, pretty much all the time, not counting motorway miles. Roof down on a warm summer night is a firm favourite.

1 Like

Like many others here generally if itā€™s dry, the top is down and a scarf, hat and gloves are in the car at all times!

I generally find I want at least one window up below 6ā€™c though to keep some of the heat in (I donā€™t have heated seats). Above about 9ā€™c I donā€™t bother with gloves or hat.

If Iā€™m spending more than an hour on the motorway I will often put the top up though, even in summer it just gets a bit much, particularly if you want a conversation with a passenger!

Top down on my NC powered hard top if at all possible, even if freezing outside. Such a well designed car for this purpose. Only situation MX5 is not suited for IMHO is motorway cruising. Just too noisy, roof up or down. But give me a country roadā€¦ bliss!

4 Likes

Did you break into song ā€œTake me home country roadsā€¦ laā€¦laā€ ?

Weā€™ve got bizarre sunshine & passing blizzards been happening up here the last week or so- itā€™s just happened againā€¦:woman_shrugging:

I can honestly say I have NEVER broken into singing that one! Steppenwolfā€™s ā€œBorn to be Wildā€ more likelyā€¦ But with my voice, best left to the CD :notes: