What’s your instrument?

Hi Phoenix_25. Welcome to the club from sunny Essex. Nothing to do with MX5’s although we do own an ND for everyday use and a Mk2 for sunny days :blush:, but we like your avatar, is it a Gibson or an Epiphone? The Lieutenant General who masquerades as my wife is particularly interested as she plays a six string whereas I only play four (her words). The car does look very nice.

1 Like

Hello Wrinkly and Spouse,

It’s a 59 Replica Les Paul.
It was made by a luthier in Wales and I wanted his name on the headstock to give him credit. I have had a lot of LP’s over the years but this is the One. It sounds fantastic both clean and dirty.
I’m sorry you are designated to play only four strings, it must be hard to ever get any kudos from your good lady… :grinning:
Please show her these pics! :grinning:

4 Likes

Beautiful guitar👌. The Lieutenant General is very impressed, it looks well finished, nice set of amps and speakers also. She has an 1988 Strat that I bought for her in about 1991, a Yamaha Revstar and a new Fender Jazzmaster that has unfortunately had to go back to the shop as the pickup selector wasn’t switching in the bridge pickup. When it comes back I might start a new thread regarding what instruments people play?
Regards
Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris,
I’m glad you both appreciate it. I’ve played in bands most of my life although retired now but I have all the gear left and over many, many years I have collected a few guitars.
My main gigging guitar was a Strat and I only used the LP types for heavier numbers, Lizzy, Free,etc. Since I stopped gigging I have just grown in to my LP and my ear has become accustomed to the sound of humbuckers. I too have a Revstar…a P90 one and a humbucker one and they are fantastic guitars.

Cars and guitars have been my passion all my life…to the annoyance of my dear lady!

It would be good to see who else plays, no matter at what level and what they play…talking guitars is always fun!

Brian

2 Likes

Hi Brian. My wife took up guitar in the about 1990 and passed her grades 3 & 4 classical and played in the Essex Guitar Orchestra, but was really into the blues rock stuff like me, after 10 years she just stopped playing until just before we retired which was just over 18 months ago, when she got the urge again after watching a guy on YouTube. She decided I should get a bass starter kit, so I got a Squire P bass kit and a book, I now have a lovely 1984 Fender Japan 1962 reissue Jazz Bass in Olympic white. Her Revstar is a P90 version and has a lovely sound and the Jazzmaster has that nice surf sound. When the Jazzmaster comes back I’ll take some pictures and start a thread, we’ve had some good alternative ones on here.

1 Like

Hi Chris,
Sounds like your wife has a good knowledge of theory behind her but I bet she just enjoys letting rip over a blues tune!
Your guitar is a great guitar from the era when Fender were struggling and they got guitars made in Japan and they were so good they are very sought after today. Much more like a Fender than a real Fender was back then.
my actual Strat is a Tokai one from 1982 and I have owned it for 38 years. It’s again Japanese and very well made.
I have never owned a Jazzmaster but I do love the sound of them, nice and clear but fatter than a Strat. I hope she enjoys it when it comes back.
It would be interesting to see how many other people here play an instrument.

1 Like

Good idea, I’ll split the musical conversation out into a different thread.

Great idea Ian! :+1:

1 Like

Ok Guys and Gals,

Let’s here about your musical passions…your instruments of any type…do you play in a band, have you done, do you play at home, do you record…all musicians welcome…even drummers! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

80s PRS Signature - probably the guitar I play the most (I have 80s Fender Strat and a 80s Gibson Les Paul Standard too)

3 Likes

Ohhhhhh!
No words necessary! :heart:
Is that a sweet switch? Beautiful guitar mate and in fabulous condition.

Beautiful guitar. We saw Robin Ford many years ago and he was playing PRS’s and they had a stand there.

1 Like

Yes it’s a sweet-switch era guitar. It’s actually very battered for a PRS, which tend to be looked after a bit better… one of many PRS I’ve owned, but the only one I have currently.

2 Likes

I’ve had a few PRS but never kept them, great guitars but I never found the One…
He signed one of mine too at NAAM in Los Angeles. I have to be honest…he was a ■■■■■ that day!!
Enjoy mate…those are sought after now.

He now has his own model with PRS…a limited edition Robben Ford in black.

She does have good musical theory and she does like to have a little noodle when I’m laying down a real solid beat :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. But she said it doesn’t come close to your playing in a proper band. Here’s the Revstar RS 702T, just like yours :+1:

3 Likes

I won’t tell her, she has enough guitars, we haven’t got on to the acoustic one yet. I found a picture of the unwell
Jazzmaster with my Jazz bass, so here they are and the Strat.

2 Likes

I’ve only met Paul once too. He was gracious enought to speak to me (and anyone else who wanted to speak to him) - so no complaints.

1 Like

Oh your good lady has impeccable taste!
Is it Bowden Green? Mine is but it looks almost black compared to some I have seen.

I do miss the band but my old back doesn’t miss lugging gear around!

The front is black but the back is a very dark cherry red.

1 Like