What to buy next year

Tesla going back in February and looking to buy a second hand ND whilst planning on keeping my NC.
First obvious question is 1.5 or 2.0. I see there have been a few discussions but most ended a while ago. Probably looking to spend between 15 & 20. Have heard some earlier cars have gearbox problems.
Don’t particularly like leather or heated seats, so no issue there. Prefer aircon. Are there any special editions i should look for? Any other obvious tips?
Thanks in advance.

I’m a big fan of the 1.5 ND, had 3 so far…. Link below is the initial write up from the first one, SE-L Nav spec is possibly the happy middle ground .

You can use more of the car more of the time is how I sum up the 1.5.

1 Like

Stick to the 1500cc in my view. Lovely sweet free revver.
Pretty much similar PTW ratio is my 1840cc Mk1 & 2002 146 BHP Sport…and trust me I’m never left short in the fun dept.
It’ll need shown who is boss more through the 'box…which is quite right for a sports car.

2 Likes

I’ve had 1.5 ND1 Sport Nav / 2.0 ND1 Sport Nav / 1.5 SE-L Nav ND2 - After experiencing both engines I agree with @IanH about being able to use more of the 1.5. If you want a little more of a cruiser, especially on the MWays, the 2.0 is the way to go in my opinion. If you want to have fun on the twisties the 1.5 feels more eager.

The only extra advice is try and get one with keyless as the stupid tiny buttons on the key fob are really annoying and I miss not having to use them when I had the Sport Navs!

2 Likes

I tried both and it is 2l for me. Just not enough grunt to give me overtaking confidence in the 1.5.
52hp difference is significant and my best advice is for you to drive both and make your own personal decision as to which suits your requirements.
:heart:

2 Likes

I really wanted the Recaro seats so I bought a 2.0 Sport Recaro (my alternative would have been a 30AE but I prefer Soul Red to the orange and the extra cost for the extra horses didn’t stack up). I never intended to leave the car standard either and wanted a 2.0 as a platform for adding BBR’s Super 200 package to, which I’ve now done.

1 Like

Am now wondering of the benefit of having an NC and an ND and may have to go for something slightly more practical. Anyone had/got/know much about Toyota GT86?

1 Like

I loved my GT86. She made me feel a driving god on track.
The steering is way better than any ND I have tried.
The ‘pedal dance’ allows you to switch off all aids.
Loads of storage compared to an MX5.
Unfortunately it’s got a fixed roof, so I changed it for a ND2 soft top.

I you are tall you might struggle more that you would in an ND2, I’m 6’4" and couldn’t find a comfortable position in the GT86

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.