What tyres to buy

1. My model of MX-5 is: __mk3
  2. I’m based near: __chelmsford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __which tyres
    Had a service on my car today. Was told all four tyres are slightly perished. I have Avon on all 4 corners. I drive less than 3000 miles a year. All through the year. Maybe I’m out of touch but the prices are extortionate. Any recommendations for a half decent tyre. Thanks in advance for your advice .

There are a lot of recommendations on here for kumho ecsta ps71 as a good all round tyre on the standard 17’s. Availability depending on your wheel size that is.

I personally would have gone with the kumho as a well priced tyre with good reviews but was able to go with Goodyear eagle f1 as6 at the time for not much more money.

Do you have some pictures? It’s possible you don’t need to do anything immediately and can wait for the right deal.

1 Like

To add to that, maybe worth checking the age of the tyres on there. :+1:
First numbers are the week, in this case 47, second are the year, in this case 18. If you haven’t replaced the tyres in the time you’ve had the car and they are pretty old the car and the driving experience could really benefit from some new ones.

Tyres are 205/50/r16

Just checked. Tyres are 2018 and 2019 so quite old

Mine are later 2017 (where knocking n a year old when I got the car with sub 5miles on it), with 3mm back, 4+ front and I’m replacing them soon.
Yours is a MK3, so maybe Michelin Pilot Sport 4/5? Goodyear Asymmetric 5/6? Bridgestone Potenza Sport?

Edit: Scrub that as the tyre size 205/50/16 don’t give lots of different ultra high performance tyres, unfortunately. But I’d go Conti Premium Contact 7 with that size

Mines an ND and I mentioned in another thread I’m getting the ‘unpopular’ OEM s001 again. Why? As I think they’ve been fine ad I’ve been happy with them.

Call me stupid but what are oem’s

Original Equipment Manufacturer or as fitted from factory/manufacturer.

You must have the 5 spoke alloys then if 16".
The popular fit for 17’s for me have been Kumhos PS71’s I’m not sure what they are in your size but good tyres. Probably looking at £300+ for a set fitted, I paid £336 last year for a set of 17"

Thanks mick yes mine are 16 “ where did you get them from

Don’t think ps71 are available in that size, this came up the other day.

Kumho hs52 are available for that size along with Avon zv7, toyo tr1, uni royal rs5, hankook venus prime etc. This according to Asda tyres who send you to your local fitter.

My fault. I should have explained it better. ‘OEM’ basically original equipment manufacturer, as the other poster said, or in every day speak ‘replacing it with what it came with when new’

Premium Contact 6 in that size.

1 Like

Yes, I’d go for them.

There £155 each. Was looking at khumo ecsta
£100 each. Got good reviews. I only do about 3000 miles a year all weathers :thinking:

I do need four

Nothing wrong with the Kumho.

1 Like

I would change them as soon as possible. In the event of an accident claim, one of the first things an assessor examines are the tyres for wear and age.

Thank you all for your responses. So glad I joined this club

One last question on this topic.
Is there any difference between these tyres as one is £10 cheaper (£40 saving). Both different sites.
Ecsta hs52 205/50/r16w 87
Ecsta hs52 205/50/r16z 87w

Thanks won’t annoy you anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: