Which car polish are you using?

My model of MX-5 is: __ND
Wales
Car poish recommendations please.

The last polish I purchased on various recommendations was Meguirs Liquid, but the current price has gone up from a rather epensive £25 to extremely silly £40…

…just wondering what other people are using / recommending?

Many thanks for any replies…

Using this Bilt Hamber BHDSW250 Double Speed-Wax 250ml : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive and EZ Car Care Gentlemans Club - Luxury Carnauba Wax 200ml | Euro Car Parts and EZ Car Care Rim - Temperature Resistant Hybrid Wheel Wax 50 ml | Euro Car Parts

You use very little and they are very easy to apply. Leave for 20 minutes and they polish off very easily as well. No effort required. A clay bar first with this Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive is helpful to get the full effect of these polishes.
:heart:

5 Likes

…ta for the reply, I also see that Auto Express also have this as their favourite recommendation…I will give it a go!!

3 Likes

For polish I use Scholl S20 amongst others. Gives a great cut and gloss is superb.

2 Likes

Hi again,
Please note the Scholl S20 has cutting compounds in it, the ones I have mentioned are purely ‘polish’ so will NOT do any ‘rectification’ on your paint finish.
The Meguires Liquid you mention may also have some ‘abrasives’ in it, so you need to decide exactly what you need/want from the product before making a decision.
:heart:

6 Likes

Along the same lines as Mad_Malc…
I used a fine Clay Bar after washing, then Britemax Black Max Ultra Fine Polishing Glaze (applied with a polisher) Britemax Black Max Ultra Fine Polishing Glaze – BX114-16 | eBay
Use Gtecniq Panel Wipe to remove any polish residue Gtechniq - Panel Wipe : 250ml Bottle | eBay
Finish off with Gyeon Q2 Can Coat EVO 200ml - Car Paintwork Ceramic Coating
Gyeon Q2 Can Coat EVO 200ml - Car Paintwork Ceramic Coating 8809432670278 | eBay

This may be too detailed for what you are after, but I was stunned by the how much the paintwork came back to life and how smooth it was after the clay bar. The ceramic coating beads the water all day long and makes washing road grime off, a doddle.
The Ebay prices may not be the cheapest now, but were earlier in the year.

1 Like

What about the PRHT? I’ve dulled a small area trying to remove a superficial blemish.
Would like to get it back to its shiny self but do you treat it the same as the painted bodywork?

2 Likes

I tried the clay bar on a small area of the PRHT and I found the paint wasn’t as good (softer?) as on the bodywork. This caused a few light scratches in a very small area. You have to use the clay bar in small pieces and throw it away when it gets debris in it, which it certainly will.
I used more water and lighter pressure and it was ok after that.
Then treated the same as the rest of the car.

1 Like

A small hint towards my son’s own brand products…. He is passionate about this subject and actually makes some to his own secret formulas. We use them on and in all our own vehicles which he uses as test beds and they are a match for the best, but less expensive.

He also has a very advantageous “Black Friday” sale on right now.

1 Like

It all depends on if you are after a polish or a wax.
A polish with a cutting compound essentially polishes the clear coat / lacquer which can assist with removing oxidisation and light scratches bringing a glossy finish to dull paintwork, but tend not offer any kind of protection. There are also polishes that have fillers in them which temporarily fill fine scratches and can bring a shine back to dull paintwork.
A wax is generally a protective coating that helps seal in the shine after polishing and offers protection and sometimes self cleansing capability. These can offer protection for anywhere between several weeks to several months. There are then ceramic coatings, graphene coating, advanced polymers, and the list goes on and on, which can offer protection for years.
There are then the all in ones which offer some polishing capability and some protection but they tend to not last that long.
To answer your question though a good product for a someone new to polishing and waxing is Autoglym Soft Resin Polish (SRP) (cleanser with fillers) then topped with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Another highly recommended all in one product is Autofinesse Tripple.
Bet you wish you hadn’t asked now :grin:

4 Likes

Great breakdown there baggers, thanks.

…never new it was so complicated!!..was really only after something to add a protective layer to the paint?..originally I just used the original Turtle wax…but also like the idea of the Autofinesse…

1 Like

If you don’t fancy the hard work of applying a wax there are some impressive spray SiO2 sealants out there as well. Turtle Wax do some good ones and there is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax which is highly recommended

4 Likes

Dodo Juice soft waxes were a favorite of mine, easy on relatively easy off. Leaves a nice deep look.

1 Like

Agree, I’m an existing customer and just ordered a top up of some products!

2 Likes

Faresia G10 compound for stubborn scratches and swirls. I apply by hand. Otherwise AutoGlym Super Resin Polish for my once a year treatment. Then wax with good old Turtle Wax.

G10 is probably my main indulgence, it is quite pricey but effective and does not destroy paint like AutoGlym Paint Renovator. I’d only use it for specific problem areas.

1 Like

I use Mer shampoo and a small amount gives you a foaming bucket full. Hose it all off. Then I dry it with a wash leather. I know, supposed to use a micro fibre cloth but I’ve been using chammies on all my cars for nearly 50 yrs with no ill effects. My car is an MX5 sport 2009 PRHT. Then Mer polish, apply and buff. Then Mer wax apply and buff. It’s all a fair few hours work! Then open a can or 2 of Speckled Hen, stand back and admire handiwork and even the wife admits it looks like a brand new car. (well almost).

2 Likes

I use Mer polish - can be applied to the car when wet (after a wash). I do it twice a year, plus I Mer the front and the front-facing rear mirror housings every wash so that bugs, etc wash right off. Have done this on every car I have owned for nearly 20years.

1 Like

when I had my Black Mk 1 SE and then MK3 - I used Turtle Wax Color Magic now with my Mk4 - Autoglym Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protection

1 Like

Alan - I use the same Autoglym products on my grey Mk 4 and am content with their ease of application and the finish achieved. I confess I’ve not tried anything else though. I notice that Autoglym doesn’t get many mentions in these posts which is why I’ve kept quiet. Folk talk about all manner of exotica; perhaps Autoglym isn’t the choice of the really serious polishers for some reason.

2 Likes