Which sealant for rocker cover?

1. My model of MX-5 is: nb 1.6
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    I’ve painted a rocker cover after giving it a good clean up and will swap with my existing one.
    I removed the baffles/covers? On the inside of the cover.
    What’s the recommended gasket sealant for refitting the baffles?

Thanks

Not sure about the baffles, but in the corners of the cam cover seals this is a good one to use and is available from your local Halfords

1 Like

I’ve used Permatex on my Mk3 for sump, timing cover and other areas and it works a treat. It’s oil and water resistant and can stand temperatures ip to 500°
A couple of small dobs in the corners of the cam brackets.

1 Like

You need the baffles as they stop the oil coming through in larger amounts, I don’t think the baffles themselves need sealed

I’m sure Its talked about in this car passion video

The baffles were sealed when the cover was removed so I would prefer to keep them sealed.

I temporarily removed the baffle on my NB while the cam cover was being aqua blasted clean. It had a thin bead of sealant but as far as I could see there was no advantage for that. If oil goes under the baffle it won’t be much and just the same as if it went around the edge, which it can readily do by design. So I didn’t bother sealing it when I refitted it. It’s made no difference to oil consumption after a few thousand miles and a couple of years, not that I thought it would.

Which reminds me…a few flanged screws holding the baffle plate were stuck fast and got damaged when I removed them. I bought a bag full so if anyone needs some let me know!

Secondly, I hadn’t seen the advice from others how aftermarket cam cover gaskets often leak. Mine did, even thought I used black silicone sealant on all the corners of the cam carriers. It caused an occasional oil drip onto the exhaust manifold which made the car unpleasant to drive. I’ve since replaced the seal with an OE one, problem solved.

2 Likes