WHO DO I TELL ABOUT A CLAIM? 2 cars with different insurers

I have 2 cars an ND1 SE-L Nav and an ND2 30AE each insured with a different company. My ND1 has been pranged (see separate thread) and is now subject to a claim. Now I know that you have to inform the insurer of a vehicle of any incident that will/may result in a claim against them BUT do I have to inform the insurer of the other vehicle at any time, for instance when that policy is up for renewal???
FACTS ONLY PLEASE, not opinions. I want to do what is right but I don’t want to volunteer unnecessary possibly expensive information.
Many thanks!

Yes it always asks if your circumstances have changed since last renewal, like accidents (claims) speeding etc or pending stuff.

1 Like

I would otherwise your lying…I had a car stolen replaced brand new by the insurance company, that then got its alloys stolen 3 to 4 weeks later. Honestly both claims hardly effected my insurance. Be honest

1 Like

All Insurers will ask whether you have been involved in any accident or claim in the last 5 years (some 3 years). As a retired former professional driver my employer, after legal advice, informed us that it was necessary to inform our personal vehicle Insurers of any accident, at fault or not, we had in a Company vehicle.

2 Likes

Hi C,
I am afraid to say you will have to declare the incident when you renew both the policies or apply for any additional ones.
I have not considered whether you should inform other insurers of any claims while a policy is in effect. Personally I have only ‘declared’ claims on renewal. That may be wrong, may be our club insurance partners could provide their understanding of requirements on this matter.
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
PS extra hearts are appropriate at this stressful time!

1 Like

Thanks all!!! :+1: You are confirming what I had already thought!!! :thinking: :nerd_face: Much appreciated! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Evening Roger! Similar situation for me, Audi written off last year (claim not finalised yet) premium hike with Audi insurers as apparently, you’re guilty until proved innocent! Declared all this with the insurers of the 5, no increase in premium. Having a separate battle at the moment as renewal quotes are literally all over the place! :thinking: its best to be honest though, which I’m confident in this instance is the case, be upfront, declare the situation as it is at the time of renewal and see how it goes :crossed_fingers:
Barrie

2 Likes

About 10 years ago I was on a day trip to Calais superrmarkets. The car was in a car park parked up and empty. On returning I found the scene from a stunt movie. A car had been smashed into by another one, which had then proceeded to hit the car parked in front of mine which had then ‘tapped’ my front bumper. After inspection of my car I could find no damage and merrily went on my way.
A few months later I had a letter from my insurance company stating they would be cancelling my policy because I had failed to notify them that my car had been involved in an accident. They stated that I was obliged to tell them of ALL incidents even if no damage occurred.

I subsequently appealed to the Ombudsman and won my case but only because I was actually on private land (the supermarket car park). I was informed that had it not been for that I would have lost, despite the fact I wasn’t even in the car at the time and no claim or damage occurred!!

Harco. Interesting. I’m sure we’d have all done the same, thinking what a lucky escape we had had. It shows that Insurance companies are going to considerable lengths to share information. In your case even between countries, as I guess the other vehicles were local French registered cars. If you’d returned some time later when the other vehicles were removed, you’d have clearly not had a clue that anything had occurred. As another example of information sharing, I recently changed insurance companies and they said they could obtain evidence of my NCD without me sending a copy of the renewal from the previous insurer to them. It’s a very connected world these days.

I’m intrigued about the status of the car park though. A quick internet search shows that in UK, car parks may be privatately owned, but because the public have access they are considered a ‘public place’ and subject to the Road Traffic Act. So, for example, people allowing under age childeren to drive on empty car parks are committing an offence.

JS

1 Like

As above, I can confirm that claims information is stored on a central database. Yes you may get away with it but not worth the risk. You should tell them at next renewal. There is no actual requirement to tell them during the existing policy term. Sadly, you may find the premium on the other car is affected even though there was no claim against that car as it’s based on claims experience for the drivers on the policy not the car itself.

1 Like

As others have said declare at renewal.

You will have to declare the claim for between 3 and 5 years, as they all share data anyway on claims.

1 Like

Typically unfair practice here with vehicle insurance as separate no claims bonuses have to be accrued on individual policies with separate vehicles but penalised across the board when a claim made on a single policy.

4 Likes

If it was not your fault and you are claiming against other person when you are asked if you have had claims you state it as ‘non fault claim’ your no claims should not be affected plus generally no increase in premiums other than a normal renewal increase.

2 Likes

I wish. All depends on the insurance company. I can assure you that ‘no fault no claim’ incident can trigger a huge premium increase on renewal from a particular company. However, another was far more pragmatic.

JS

2 Likes

Name, shame and acclaim?

1 Like

Sorry, no, not on a public forum. Just making the point that you can’t assume insurance companies will take a sensible approach to no-fault no-claim incidents.
JS

2 Likes

Insurance companies analyse all claims and accidents and have apparently statistically proved that anyone who has been involved in an accident whether to blame or not are more likely to be involved in another claim or accident. This may or may not increase your premiums. My former employers have a points system, 3 or 6 points for an “at fault” accident and 1 point for a “no fault” accident, once again you are penalised for having a “no fault” accident.

2 Likes

A fair point.

My Dad always said there is no such thing as having zero fault in an accident.

Often it is from putting oneself in “harms way”. Consider for example choosing a risky parking spot, the only one left. Do a risk assessment; ask yourself “why has nobody else parked there?”

Those who fail to make a risk assessment on an action are more likely to be involved in an incident, even if at first sight it is “not their fault”.

As I’ve got older my reaction times have worsened, and being aware of this I tend to look yet again before doing something (stuff the impatient idiot behind, he can wait).

This slowdown has proved worthwhile in the Mazda3 (with its appallingly bad rear visibility) a couple of times recently!
Just two days ago in the middle of the afternoon I needed to turn the car around after delivering a food parcel to a friend at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac.
So I reversed round into the hammer head, slowly, checking mirrors and reverse cam, and from nowhere a little blue Micra shot into where I was aiming for, did her turn with a squeal of tyres somehow missing my now stationary car, parked on the end of the row and shot into her house in a cloud of ginger hair. (Remember ‘Crystal Tips and Alastair’?)
Nothing in any mirror or the rev camera, but a flicker in the corner of my eye made me stop. If I had believed the mirrors etc I’d have hit the Micra.
That car must have come down the single lane past all the parked cars at 40+ because the 200m road was empty all the way to the main road ten seconds earlier when I started moving.

1 Like

It turned out the French Police attending had noted my plate and passed the details on to one of the damaged cars owners. For some reason I was included in the whole claim without my knowledge and participation. The French insurance company had obviously contacted mine and it went from there.
The car park part was mentioned by the French insurance company and established by the ombudsman. They did note the peculiarity of the case and also your point that should I have attended later I may never have known. My insurance company were adamant they were right even when such logic was put before them, however they had to back down once the private bit was established, probably because they would have used that argument NOT to pay a claim here when it suited them.

The logic of some insurers seems to be that “if you hadn’t been involved in the accident when it occurred, you wouldn’t have been involved in the accident when it occurred”! :thinking: :nerd_face: :crazy_face: