Who is still working

Still working - I’m a Local Govt Officer & my role has been designated as “Key Worker”. I know I’m very fortunate that, for now, at least my job’s safe. My dept will shortly be moving to an alternating shift type system where on each day half of us will be in the office & half working from home, to try & cut the risk of cross-infection & to allow us to occupy alternate desks as per Social Distancing. Due to the nature of the role we do need to attend the office & can’t work from home all the time but this seems to be a good compromise.

1 Like

“'Ere - put that light out!”

1 Like

I’m working but from home as of Monday. My job normally has me out and about in various schools and colleges so obviously that is on hold for the foreseeable as are two fairly big jobs in the middle east. I’m lucky I can keep things ticking over from home, only downside is that my wife has already taken up residence in our home office!

1 Like

It’s the burglars I feel sorry for. With everyone working from home their business must have collapsed overnight and yet no one mentions them when they talk of job insecurity, and it’s clear that the Government’s schemes don’t consider them at all.

9 Likes

My wife and I are in our eighties and live in a small hamlet of ten homes. We and the other elderly people in our small community have all had offers of help to get any shopping or anything any of us may need from the younger residents.
We in particular were told by one of my granddaughter that in no circumstances were we to go into town or leave the security of our own home . She said she will do whatever it takes to do our shopping or anything else we need. Needless to say her mother, my daughter, is the same and we are being looked after very well by everyone.
Having read in the newspaper of some one who has been selling toilet rolls by reselling them at the roadside and making about £2000 in a day makes me feel ashamed that people of our country can do this. Something will have to be done about people “panic” buying eventually and those that get caught may not like it when they are. These people ought to be shamed on national television with pictures of them and who they are.

3 Likes

I work in local government. The office is still open, but I’m not sure for how long - I’m set up to work from home so I can carry on so long as the things we all rely on, such as the internet. can be serviced by someone. Keep safe and follow Government guidance.

I get made redundant on Monday for different reasons than covid with 3 months pay in lieu and 25 years redundancy still making us work till the last day “motor factors” …Might seem a blessing now having some money to fall back on.Have since secured a job to start next Monday but not holding my breath on that one.

As most on here will know I own a garage, some of you will also know we do a lot of work for the NHS providing 24/7 call out to the ambulance service…so as much as I’d like to self isolate unfortunately that isn’t an option.
Take care everyone

Paul

1 Like

I’m still working for Arla foods Taw valley creamery (cheese factory). We have 1 shut down day a week as milk is diverted to Aylesbury, people panic buying Cravendale milk.

Currently half-way through a 2 week annual leave holiday, visiting my parents in the Yorkshire Dales.
I work in a ‘back-office’ function in social services, so not a key worker, and we’ve been told to work from home. Thankfully I have my work’s laptop with me so my stay with my parents may be extended!

Some of my ‘old friends’ on here will remember that I work from home, as a self-employed model maker (of model railways), so apart from my good lady wife, some weeks go by without me seeing another soul. Self-isolating therefore, has been more-or-less a way of life for me for over twenty years.

I have enough work awaiting my attention for more than a year ahead, so unless I become ill, I can’t see this lurgy making a great deal of difference to me. Lucky I guess.

1 Like

Retired 5 weeks ago not much of a retirement gift but lucky in one sense although at a more vulnerable age regarding Corblimey 19 .

I’ve been retired for quite a few years, having taken early retirement from the civil service. I have a background in science and operational analysis, particularly relating to the navy. I’m therefore fairly familiar with analytical modelling, statistics, probability etc so can appreciate what the scientists and medics are trying to achieve for the benefit of us all. Like everyone else though I’ve been amazed just how quickly the situation is changing. Everyone has a part to play whether working or not. Pulling together really does make a difference. Hopefully the panic buyers in the community will realise this. I’m not sure exactly what SAZ is working on, but I would imagine that there are a number of different paths society can go down from this point, some good and some not so good. There’s clearly a huge amount of uncertainty for the future but it’s much better to be optimistic rather than pessimistic at this time. Best of luck to everyone.

1 Like

I’m “working” from home from tomorrow which essentially means kicking my heels waiting to be called in if anything arises which needs me to be there, but otherwise keep away.

They’ve told me I’m a key worker, which seems like a bit of a stretch but anyway I told the kids they can go back to school. Since they both left school years ago they seem reluctant to come home just for that, even when I told them they can probably take games in.

In happier news, I popped out to see if I could get a couple of items and found to my surprise that our Aldi was well stocked. First fresh meat I’ve seen on the shelves for a week. Tried Tesco too and that had more bare shelves but not like it’s been lately. I asked the lady on the checkout if it was my imagination or if it really was less frantic today and she said it was way less frantic than it’s been for ages. So it may be the hoarders have now filled their cupboards, freezers, fridges, spare rooms etc and have to stop.

1 Like

I cannot work from home as I am a Firefighter and might have to respond to incident where a person has Corona, can you imagine social distancing happening in the cab when responding.

6 Likes

Extend the ladder before you set off and get the crew to hang from the rungs two metres apart. I’ve seen it done on the silent movies and they did it at double speed too.

P.S. I do have utmost respect and admiration for the job you do.

2 Likes

I’m furtunate in that I’m retired (and watching my pension pot evaporating) but am worrying about my daughter who is front-line NHS and so far has been issued with no protective equipmentt.
I picked up her car yesterday so that I can take it for its MOT this week.

I’m still at work as I’m a primary school teacher. However, I have to work from home as I’m in the vulnerable group and need to observe much more stringent social-distancing.

I am I drive a mini bus for special need which are still attending school

Looks like i am in the ‘essential’ group as they need working FLTs to keep the countries wagons loaded with food, medical supplies etc. regardless of people coughing and sneezing in my vicinity while i’m up to my elbows in oil and grease fixing their trucks.

Somehow i can’t see a robot doing my job.

1 Like