Why is this website so SLOW?

I always thought it was my broadband, I now have 200mb fibre and this site always takes ages to do anything

I find it perfectly fine on my PC’s that are hard wired to my router. One is 36mb and the other is 11mb. Certainly not slow on either.

My Ipad … now that is a different matter.

I use that at home on my 11mb feed (wireless connection to my router) and it can be a tad pedestrian at times. Seems to be advert banners that take ages to load up. In fairness it’s the same with other forums and sites generally on the Ipad. Don’t get bombarded with those so much on my PC’s.

Ultra-quick from my desk Richard with a mere 100MB.

Maybe your OS needs a good kicking…unless your Apple?

Bear in mind the server is based in the States - recent revelation from Ramsay. Blame packet switching, there’s a queue in transatlantic cable. Add traffic on this site, and multiple usage overall, and lo and behold - delays. Add time difference between Europe and the States, so mornings are better, but afternoons and evenings will be worse.

Is there a question here to look into moving the server to fast UK based host if one exists probably much more expensive and to stop the adverts if they are slowing the forum down, therefore some lost of income as the OC is not exactly a poor club.

Part of the reason why the Club ‘is not exactly poor’ is through advertising revenue, on the other hand, as a car based forum, you could say why not remove some of the paraphernalia which populates it? I’m not naming portions, as I don’t have a flack suit, but you don’t need to look far to see what.

I would give up my present right to post odd times in one of them, but as it’s there, then I’ll use it when I have something NOT car related to say.

Speed v’s distance? Everyday, in fact every minute, someone new joins the internet, using PC, laptop, tablet or phone, despite advances in technology the problem isn’t going away, it’s a continual race to try and keep up to daily demands. Hitting one POST, or one query sends that as a packet to a parent server, which is in a queue of packet switching, from many users, that then needs a packet return of acts from that server. Multiple acts and multiple servers have to respond, in turn. If you stop and think about that, then you can see why time is a factor. Multiply any act from any user, add to that the return response, and you begin to see what the problem is. Not just the internet, phones are also suffering from the same problem, you may not notice the difference, but it’s there. Ever wonder why there’s a delay between response from a news reporter somewhere in China, answering a question from the UK main studio? Satellite technology is struggling too.

Ramsay seems to have done his homework on server availability and cost, so I’m happy to use the facility as it stands, costs, distance and time considered. However, sometimes it does get annoying, but other than making a cuppa, why worry? News is reported a thousand times a day, and if you want to watch a documentary or a good movie, or the football or cricket match, then you are probably not using the net either - though I often do! You can’t do both successfully unless you are a genius at multi-tasking! (I’m not.)

One thing is crystal clear, if we as a nation want to go forward, then we need more technical support - at a lower cost, seeing as we live in ‘rip off England’- or we’re dead in the water. The local business I worked for, for thirty odd years, has a website that predates the internet (almost) and still offers products that ceased in production ten years ago. Multiply that by a few thousand, and we’ve lost the battle before we even start. Now sing ‘Onward christian soldiers’ - - - - -

I dont think a server location has any bearing on speed whatsoever does it these days?. There are server farms located all over the world, at at any one time you could be getting stuff from any number of them. And its not like when you had two yoghurt pots on a bit of string with direct connections. I am no expert but it wouldn’t surprise me if in reaching you some of the electrons needed to create this forum didn’t travel several times around the world via space to reach us and all by different routes as well… in fact its not going to be the same electron either, as they pass on info from one to the next… 

Which raise another question, which medium transmits sound better - two empty bean cans or two yogurt pots?
(didn’t have plastic pots when we were kids) I reckon tin cans resonate better than plastic does.
Main problem - you just can’t get the wood any more. (A’hmmm)

Server location in the US accessed from Europe these days has little meaningful impact on performance, the average transatlantic round trip time (latency) of a data packet between London and New York over a submarine cable is around 75 milliseconds or 0.075 of a second. Add on the distance (time) at either end (from you to London and New York to the server)* and it’s still fairly negligible.

• not saying these are the end points, it’s an illustration.

The issue appears to always be waiting for a response from the forum.

This is either a datacentre or software issue - pretty much guaranteed.

Because the forum is OK sometimes and not others, I’m putting my money on the datacentre being a problem. Possibly because the forum is not hosted on hardware which is capable enough to handle the load (so likely shared hosting), or there are frequent peaks in traffic to the datacentre. It may also be undergoing a DDOS attack either to this domain or another one on the same rack/subnet.

It could be software. YAF is quite dated now and it appears we are on a version that is old  in forum terms. It might cost a bit, but I’m suprised a fairly financially stable owners club is not using premium supported forum software and quality hosting. Performance has always been poor for me compared to other forums and I know it is not my hardware or software.

I’m a member of quite a few websites and this is by far the slowest and most unreliable one I visit. It’s not my computer or broadband speed either.

In a world that everything must be instant. Does a nanosecond here or there really matter.
This drive for faster and faster just breeds higher and higher expectations in service speed. e.g. Amazon used to get an item to you in a week, no now it has to be next day, tomorrows they say it will be with you in 10 minutes by drone by reading your thoughts.

The website is fast enough for me in my old age
It loads just as fast as sites such as BBC sport (with ads) and Autotrader for example

Frog
An old git down in that third world country called France with no Fibre. Remembering the days when no internet, no mobile phones, no computers and my Mini Cooper that could go over 100mph legally. Thats progress I supose.

Download free Adblock…it kills the ads. From an irritant aspect if not load up time.

“In a world that everything must be instant. Does a nanosecond here or there really matter.”

A nanosecond would pose no problem at all; unfortunately it’s often far slower than that! Sometimes I just give up waiting for any page of this forum to load at all and simply go elsewhere. Same on my PC and my Ipad and it also happens when using other wifi connections elsewhere. I have a 30 Mbps connection at home (measured, not theoretical maximum).

Yes pages do fail to load e.g. when clicking on a post to open a thread. This forum system is perhaps a peer of the Mk1 MX-5.

Being a ‘techno-thickie’, most of what has been written in this thread is gibberish to me !

what colour is the sky on your planet?

Chris?

“Server” = whichever (huge room filling) banks of signal/stored websites distrubution super-computers…where ever they are based.

They are huge monolithic structures, containing trillions literally of “bytes” of dedicated information.

If your hard drive is say 500 Gigabytes in size, that is half of one terrabyte. These servers are many many thousands of terrabytes.

Their purpose is to act as a “mothership” library if you will of “platforms” into which subcribers with forums pay to have their website installed, or “hosted”

When you click into this forum, it sort of dials into that server …no matter where in the world…and bounces back the pages etc down to your PC.

Often, these massive platforms have their stuff routed across the world to sub-stations if you will…and our sub is in Europe…apparently.

As for 100mb /200mb? Millibytes per second speed into your PC .

It’s binary I believe. so a bit of a “byte” would look like 001 100 101 111, plus a load of odd looking fonts.

Thats the “package” or availablilty of what your home modem…the thing your internet cable is plugged into can handle…at best.

Its a measure of the download speed that determines how quickly, or otherwise, you can down load stuff onto your PC.

Often what you pay for you don’t get, which is a scandal.

I’m just wondering…if Richard regularily clears out the junk files and search caches as that will definately gum things up.

That’s what free service applications like CrapCleaner, Advanced System care area all about…for PC anyway if not Apple

I don’t have problems with a lot of other sites, just find this slow, no matter which of my computers I use