Why is this website so SLOW?

me too, press go & hope for the best most of the time.

I hate asking the grandchildren (11 & 13) for help but they are so bloody switched on it’s scary

Very slow for me too, and I access from a variety of different machines. I’m on a number of other forums which are much quicker.

I would say that this is not a big issue for me as usually when I’m on the forum I’m not in a tearing hurry anyway, but it can be frustrating at times.

GRANDCHILDREN ?  

My cat understands the operation my PC better than I do !

If it’s tooo slow to post, do like me, when you’ve pressed the button to post your reply hold your hands in the air. That way you don’t get tempted to hit the button repeatedly, hence double/triple etc posts.

Then your OH says why are you doing that? I reply “I’m on the OC forum again”

It ain’t doin badly today.

25 to 35 seconds for page changes at the moment. Tried tablet and PC and response time is the same on both.

It is fine for me just now. Can you tell me what the page generation time at the bottom right of the screen says when this happens?

Hi Ramsay,

I just loaded the forum page @8:26am and it showed 34.197 seconds.

Phil. 

I’m not a techny so don’t know the terminology…but for me the website is getting slower (on my PC).

Wireless connecting is super quick on all other sites.

Posting a response after typing is taking about 55 secs to 1 min.

Loading pages can be anywhere between 30 secs and a min.

Page one to page 2 of unread topics This page was generated in 25.752 seconds.

09.11am

It’s been dreadful downunder for a few days despite just having had installed a faster bb system

If the main forum pages are sow to load, you’ll likely see a big improvement if you mark all posts as read, especially if you haven’t done so recently (or ever).

That won’t help the loading of specific posts though, but may be a good start for some. Will look into that though.

This the slowest site I regularly use for page changing.

Other sites seem to change in three to five seconds, but this one is generally half-a-minute plus - which is pedestrian.  Sometimes I can boil the kettle faster !

Being a ‘techno-thickie’, I have no idea why this should be - I just wish someone would speed it up please.

My cat seems to think she can speed things up by thundering down the hall and leaping onto the keyboard!  She’s wrong of course!  But it’s the thought that counts!

All posts marked read regularly, there only was 2 pages of unread

It’s a curious one because 90% of the time the pages here load in less than a second for me. Always have done. I can only guess that the site’s performance is affected by how it’s used (unread posts cleared, browsing route etc.) and I’m lucky? that whatever I do seems to work well. I’ve certainly not got a super computer and although I’ve got fibre broadband and 4g it’s never more than 40Mbps and usually a lot less. Odd.

Suddenly the timings have improved after two or more weeks of slow response.
Now between 3 and 10 seconds per page (and I have always cleared my unread messages religiously)

Now there’s a thing.

I had no idea the web site stored ‘unread’ items (why ?), or that this might slow down response times to commands (again, why ?).  Could this be another thing that could be mentioned in a mooted web site instruction page ?

Anyway, on clicking ‘unread topics’ at the top of the page, I discovered almost 2,500 of the damn things - in only six months of being a member !  I’ve marked them all ‘as read’ now - I hope this is correct - so it remains to be seen if this will have any effect on proceedings.

As they say - watch this space !

i don’t find the website slow, once I’m on it

I just find the 1st load to be very slow…almost like it hangs !

however, as said, once I’m on it, its seems ok

I find it rather odd that some people find this web site slow, whereas other do not.  Could this be an equipment thing - some peoples PC / Wi-Fi or whatever being faster than others, or perhaps just the different members’ perceptions ?

In the end, I doubt if it’s individual members that can do anything about it - it is no faster since clearing unread items, so I guess we will all just have to learn to live with it.

Hi Chris

I don’t know the answer to this, I have a fairly new Mac with loads of Ram and a huge disc, a brand new wifi router and a new fast broadband connection, as you can see from my last post I suffer a lot. Maybe it’s something to do with the complexity of the forum, integration with the website, maybe it’s fairies?

I run three guitar forums all on phpBB and a steam forum on the same type of bulletin board software, they are all instantaneous loads