Would you drive 1hr 40mins home on these tyres?

Another unexpected bonus is that you will know for sure that you have the locking wheel nut doodad - and that it’s the right one, and that it works - before it’s 100 miles away in the back of the previous owner’s kitchen drawer!

When I got my NC it had cheapo no-name tyres on it that were checked/cracked all around despite only being about 4 years old. My local garage didn’t think it was a big deal, but a set of Kumho PS71s have made quite a difference to the ride - and I don’t have to worry about an abrupt tyre failure. I had that happen to me once many years ago and although I kept it out of the ditch - just - I certainly don’t recommend the experience.

Enjoy the ride home - hope the weather holds up for you!

1 Like

It’s really simple, tyres are the difference between living and dying, so never take a chance.

2 Likes

I don’t approve of driving on dodgy tyres but years ago we all drove round in cars with no airbags,abs or any safety features on crossplys or even remoulds . Commercials run round on recut tyres down to 1mm dragging 40 odd tons , maybe sometimes we overthink things ? Personally I’d drive home on em no problems

I had similar cracks on the front tyres on my NC. It’s a second car, so limited use, especially in lockdown. So, two new tyres fitted ,pronto. Noticed an immediate improvement in steering response…

1 Like

A great percentage of airliners take off and land on remoulds……

Had a MOT advisory for all 4 tires on my Nissan ‘damaged / cracking or perishing’ , 3 were 5 year old and one 4 years old (all Bridgestone’s). None of the tires looked anywhere near as bad as the one in the photo !

When I hit a brick sized rock at 70 on the motorway and buckled my alloy, the tyre held up but ended up with a 3" long tear in the same area as the cracks shown on the OP, and much deeper than them. The shreaded compound was hanging off, so I removed it. Yet I was told by the testing centre Black Circles sent me to that it wasn’t an mot failure. I was surprised.

Mot testers love an advisory

2 Likes

Did you get this back ok, with new tyres?

2 Likes

Yes thanks Mick! New tyres on and all good… although the garage didn’t put one of the centre caps on properly so it fell off somewhere on the way home :frowning:

2 Likes