5th & now 6th (šŸ™ˆ) MX5 & the beginnings of a Rocketeer build

Just a heads up if anyone is interested - Iā€™ve sold one of my M2 Motorsports seats and one remains. Still sealed as it came from the factory. Iā€™ve got a seperate listing up on the Buy and sell area of the forum.

1 Like

Haha, hope you get it finished before the wedding as all spending on it will stop after thatšŸ¤£.
Only joking, congratulations.
I get the need to build a bespoke car for yourself having done a few over the years, anyone can buy a ready made car, few can build a bespoke one. Good on you.
Keep the updates coming, theyā€™re good reads, and may even prompt me into doing a last one myself while I still can
ND rocketeer perhapsā€¦.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve texted you :+1:

Thank you :slight_smile: Well, that sounds like it would be great! Bruce did say that they were working on a kit for the NC which I may have even ordered if that was available when I started.

haha, iā€™m trying not to think about wedding costs! Especially as I want to own some form of Lotus before that becomes impossibleā€¦maybe we could have our wedding at Hethel!?? :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

:joy: youā€™re probably not too far wrong there!

1 Like

Good afternoon :slight_smile:

So, today I have treated by kitchen floor to much wiring.

I purchased a second hand manual loom from ebay, as it wasnā€™t very expensive and I figured it might be easier than rewiring my auto loom to fit my manual gearbox. The other plus is this ā€˜newā€™ loom is out of the car so I can have a look at it more easily than I can at mine currently.

Imgur

First job was to remove 30 year old stickiness and rusty brackets. Rusty Brackets, by the way, will be the name of a band iā€™m in in the future. If I ever learn to play an instrument. Or sing a song.

Imgur

Once Iā€™d taken the sticky tape and brackets off, I removed the conduit. Lots of it was knackered and it just looked horrible and the whole point of doing all of this was to be able to mroe easily check and identify the wiring.

Imgur

This is where my label printer should be handy!

Imgur

Now to consult the wiring diagrams!

We were supposed to be going away this weekend as the boys are in America with their Dad ( :hot_face: ) but weā€™ve both got a horrible sickness bug so weā€™ll be staying at home. Iā€™m goong to self isolate from Rebecca, otherwise known as try and spend any time iā€™m not in the toilet, in my garage! :smiley:

Weeken plans are to finish all of the suspension and brakes and get the wheels on so that I can move the car to Rebeccas house next week. Exciting! :heart_eyes:

Every time I naively think ā€œiā€™m not tooooooo far away from the end nowā€, I look in my ā€˜officeā€™ at the autojumble that remains to be installed on the car! :see_no_evil:

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

2 Likes

youā€™re a braver man than me with that wiring! if the manual loom was from an early-ish mk1 then it shouldnā€™t have an immobiliser, if it was later and did have one then youā€™ll need the keys and the ignition ā€œringā€ that talks to the transponder in the key. fingers crossed

My car did have an immobiliser, but it looked aftermarket.

As for the manual loom, not sure yet!

If itā€™s a complete loom then there will be a ā€œringā€ that fits over the ignition barrel pickling up the signal from the key. If itā€™s from a Eunos then you should be fine as I donā€™t think the factory ones came in until much later possibly mk2? I only mention as I remember someone on MX5Nutz having loads of issues because they didnā€™t know the immobiliser ring existed and the car would start then immediately cut the fuel pump and die. Nice wheels by the way, I had a set of silver RB ages ago, they looked great

1 Like

Congratulations so much for the engagement. Also Iā€™m sure I speak for a lot of members that we appreciate the transparency you have shown in the process.

I know I would be the same if undertaking such a substantial project and want to fix everything. Also, just think if you wrecked the car/ the car wrecked itā€™s self because of a minor part you could have changed but didnā€™t. Doesnā€™t bear thinking about.

Peace of mind is worth the value of the whole car to me.

Iā€™m about to start a bit of a project myself, might be hitting you up for advice along the way!

1 Like

Thanks Michael :slight_smile:

What project are you starting?

Refurbishing a mk1 turbo. I think I shall name him Rudy.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always wanted to Turbo a Mk1. Maybe iā€™ll turbo this. Maybe I should concentrate on getting this running :smiley:

2 Likes

I think that a V6 should be a lot more reliable than a boosted 4 pot. If I had the money I would be doing what you are not what I am! :grin:

2 Likes

Well, aside from the fact that the whole conversion is being completed by me and I have the technical knowledge of a boiled potato! haha. Anyway, iā€™m sure yours will be just as great, in a different way.

1 Like

Hi chaps, hope you all had a good weekend.

As is almosty always the case for any man wanting to tinker, I didnā€™t manage to complete the things iā€™d hoped to!

The hub nuts on my car were seized solid. With the torquiest torque wrench in the world, a 12 tonne press and enough elbow grease to sink the Turpitz, I couldnā€™t budge them. So instead iā€™ve ordered good used 1.8 hubs/carriers so that I donā€™t have to mess around with any of that. So thats shelved until Tuesday/Wednesday.

So instead I spent my weekend looking at wiring diagrams and sending messages to people asking them to explain how it was I found it all so confusing.

Imgur

As I think I mentioned earlier, I ordered a used loom from eBay for a manual 1991 car. Here is the ā€˜newā€™ loom next to my loom which I removed over the weekend. When I say loom, I should say this is the one that runs from the battery to the engine bay fuse box. As you might be able to see if you look closely, the auto (possibly obviously) has a lot more wiring and connections. The auto box has its own control unit for starters and my original car had air conditioning.

Imgur

I stripped both looms down so I could see the wiring more closely and check there were no obvious gremlins. Using Project Binky for inspiration, iā€™ve ordered some fabric electrical wrap to re-tidy-this-up when iā€™ve got it all sorted.

Imgur

I found the four gearbox connectors, woop! This means I donā€™t need to do any modification of the auto loom.

Imgur

Once iā€™d had enough of that particular set of wires, I decided to consult the dreaded Rocketeer instructions for the tapping in to the OEM ECU wiring. As is ever the case, the instructions were limited and as is ever the case, my understanding of automotive wiring was limited.

Imgur

However, after much head scrtaching and a lot of help from the Rocketeer community, I managed to find the wires I needed and labelled them up ready to solder or connect up to the ECU wiring. All bar one.

Imgur

Nowā€¦at some point in the distant past (wasnā€™t the last owner, as I spoke to him ), someone has seen fit to connect the FUEL PUMP wiring to OEM NB MAIN (I dont even know what that is) and SENSOR GROUND.

Imgur

The red, cut wire is the FUEL PUMP wire which I cut away from the OEM connector. You can see its been (badly) connected using bare wire.

Bruce at Rocketeer is stumped, I already was stumped and his only advice was to find out why it was done. Well, I canā€™t think of any way to find that out. He suggests connecting at the diagnostic port instead.

Imgur

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I canā€™t reiterate in strong enough terms how far I am out of my comfort zone here!

1 Like

Yeah, the only wiring I have had to do so far is rewire the boot break light where the boot shut had severed the old wires. Anything more than that is basically witchcraft as far as Iā€™m concerned.

3 Likes

Canā€™t really tell whatā€™s going on from the photo but thatā€™s not an OE grounded shield wire is it? That crimped connection looks a bit OE to me.

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this will help but may have extra/different info, often the case with online copies.

Mk1 Workshop Manual

1 Like