A second sports car anyone?

Harry Metcalfe (Harry’s Garage On YouTube) covered this in his most recent lockdown video.As you’d expect he has some great ideas for a variety of budgets.

1 Like

Yeah! I had several of those. :heart_eyes: No wonder I never had any money! :-1: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

A second MX5 for me - always !!

Lots of choice… lots.

Honestly though, I think for me it would need to be a nice modded Fairlady Z ( 240z in the UK ).

Loads of other cars I would fancy, but always liked those and getting it fettled top to bottom would be ideal.

3 Likes

A great looking car, then, and now, Car SOS re vamped one of these cars a little while back .

Boz

Little over six years ago I bought a TVR Chimaera, and from then until now I’d say it is the best car that I’ve ever owned.

The MX-5 is an utterly brilliant car as we all know, and the best way that I can describe the TVR is all the same sensations but amplified. That notion of Jinba Ittai is very much alive in the same way that it is on a well setup '5.

It unquestionably costs more to run than a '5, particularly if you want to keep it at its best. But if you are mechanically inclined and keep up a good service routine (and don’t turn a blind eye to ‘minor’ issues) then it will be as reliable as anything else (yes, really). Parts are almost all easily available and most are very cheap.

All that said, I’d advise anyone considering buying a car like this (or the Morgans also mentioned above) to consider it as you would getting a puppy. If you don’t carefully look after it then it’ll no doubt pee all over your (garage) floor, cost a small fortune if it gets sick, and if you’re not careful/respectful it will bite you. It’s a big commitment (financial, time, arguably even lifestyle) that won’t be for everyone, but if you’re ok with that then I’m sure you’ll love it.

3 Likes

I’ve never driven a TVR but they all just look and sound so good, only my view , but all these different sports cars, old and new have a loyal following…and rightly so :grin:

Boz

1 Like

5 Likes

Before I bought my NC, I had owned a classic MGB Roadster for a few years. I loved owning and working on that car. The main issue was that I couldn’t keep her in the condition that I wanted to, if I drove the car in the rain, or in weather that could possibly mean rain. The car would have become a rust bucket if I had.
By chance, a friend of mine offered to lend me his MX5 for a weekend. Wow, it was like a light switch moment. I loved the drive, the level of comfort. I decided that I had to have one, so I sold the MGB and bought my NC and I had money to spare from the sale.

5 Likes

Great photos, the one of the MG is a real corker, and their colours are similar too :grin:

Boz

1 Like

We have this as a second sports car but I also wish I’d kept my Nissan 200sx S13 which was a great car.

3 Likes

Yes, this. An E-Type is beautiful but to me E-types (and lots of exotics) are a bit like a Lightning jet or a pet tiger - they’re for looking at rather than actually owning. So for me something achingly pretty but a bit less obvious fits the bill and an Austin-Healy 3000 (red with cream sides for me please) fits the bill. Maybe a TR6 at a pinch. Of course I have nowhere to keep it and I DON’T WANT TO KNOW about the impracticalities of living with a car as old as I am. Get out of my dream and don’t spoil it with your dirty reality.

3 Likes

I’d go for an AC Cobra, fast and awesome looking

2 Likes

Bowler EXR S

3 Likes

Never seen one of these before, maybe I need to get out more, …what is it, and what engine is in it etc.

Boz

Some information here, quite the machine…

1 Like

A casual glance at this thread now suggests the Cobra is top of the list. I can go with that…

4 Likes

Well its different, its not my cup of tea, but I’m sure it has it followers.

Well its a real muscly looking car, and I wouldn’t turn one down given the chance ,I always imagine one of those on an American coastal road ,that looks out over the Pacific on a sunny afternoon, if you get my drift.

Watched Ford vs Ferrari this afternoon, some fabulous examples there.

1 Like