After market daylight running lights - what and where is the best to fit?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __mk 3.75
  2. I’m based near: __warwick
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __as above

Hi all

I am thinking of installing some after market daylight running lights on my NC3 and would welcome advice on people’s experiences.
Where have you positioned them?
How have you fitted them without them looking like they were an afterthought

I was thinking about installing a couple of motorbike running lights either side of the number plate

Any advice greatfully received

Thanks

Russ

I seem to notice the cars without DRL’s these days.

Hmm, I just used the MX5parts Vinstar kit for replacing the existing Fogs with combined Fog and DRL, ie two separate LEDs built into each lamp/lens as a custom assembly where there had been one filament bulb in a reflector glass before. And the Vinstars are done properly with good cooling and correct optics. I thought it was well worth the extra cost. I expect these LEDs to outlast the car, but kept the old Fogs, just in case.

This assumes you already have the original Mazda Factory Fogs, switches and wiring fitted to make it easy. The mouldings housing the fog lamp are different between the Mk3 and Mk3.5 but the lamp itself, the lump of glass, which is all that needs to be changed is the same. This is how I did it.

HOWEVER, I don’t know about the glass lumps fitted to the Mk3.75, you would need to check with MX5Parts.

The old Mk3 and Mk3.5 Fog lamps look like these pics and if yours are the same then the kit will fit.

On the car the new lamp looks like this, at a glance almost identical to original, and it passes MOTs for correct Fog beam. MOT not relevant for DRL on a car originally specified without DRL.

The kit comes in this box (now storing the original Fogs)

I fiited these
Cheap Daytime Running Lights (DRL) fitting on NC
as recommended by a previous post. All still working OK although I did change the wiring a bit using piggy back fuse holders.
Neat, easy to fit without too much trouble. I would avoid the Chinese control modules, a change over relay is much better and cheaper.

You’ll have to ask Bally (previous owner) or maybe he’ll comment on these below. He fitted them to this car, I think, now my car.

1 Like

Hi
These are the DRL’s

You will also require a control box that dims the DRL’s when headlights are turned on .

Total cost is £20 ish :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

It’s a while since I did this but it was quite easy :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Still working great Geoff👍

1 Like

I fitted these on my NC. Relatively easy, although they will need to dim when the main headlights activate. This is an mot requirement. To achieve this I taped into the headlamp live that comes out of the bottom of the fuse box. Purple wire from memory.

Many thanks for all your responses, I have some reading to do!

Russ

1 Like