Alpine AVN2 woes

My wife has a 2014 NC 2.0 Venture Sport and found that the AVN2 ICE got stuck in an initialisation loop. On switch on it would display the Mazda logo for a minute or so, screen would then go blank and then the Mazda logo would reappear and so on time and again for ever and a day.
I tried the button reset and eventually had to disconnect the battery. The radio, music and Bluetooth now works, but I have lost the Sat Nav and any date time function.

How do I resurrect the sat nav? Needless to say I donā€™t have a back up(why would I?)

If youā€™ve already tried a soft reset (pin hole behind the removable panel) then the only other thing I could suggest would be to try a factory reset (which is in one of the menus).

Philip, yes I have tried both. Unfortunately the hard power rest seems to have taken it way past the soft option. I am starting to think the only real option is to accept it as it is or replace it completely. My wife has never read a map in her life though.

Might keep the mileage down :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The navigation firmware is different to the music/phone firmware in the AVN2, if I remember correctly. It may (or may notā€¦) help to install the Alpine software on the unit.

Thereā€™s a long thread (in German, but Google Translate will help) about this here:
https://translate.google.com/translate?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mazda-forum.info%2Fthreads%2Fupdate-mazda-avn-2.62462%2F

Cheers, nothing venturedā€¦ich kanst Deutsche sprechen ein bisen. :+1:

There is a very interesting thread from many years ago on this forum. Makes very interesting reading all the way through but if you just want to know how to update the unit to Alpine spec scroll through to post number 43. The instructions are there translated already. Hereā€™s the thread -

If you want the official instructions in English from the Alpine website they are here -

But donā€™t forget you need to rename the folder.

The firmware to download again from Alpine is here -

https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/download/Firmware_update/INE-W92xR_W977BT/FU_INE-W920R.zip

1 Like

Thanks very much for the comprehensive response, I will give this a go today. Cheers.

This firmware update is really useful. It restores the Audio functionality and enables you to personalise the sound, restoring the graphic equaliser, fader and balance controls and I would recommend it for anyone who likes to control the sound in the their car.

Its is very important to change the directory name on the USB drive from BDAG104A to BDAG405A if you currently have the original(as delivered) firmware installed.

Unfortunately for me it did not restore the Navigation function, but I do have a better stereo.

I have directly queried Alpine for options and await their response. Mazda wanted Ā£102 just to look at it :flushed:

Is the navigation on an SD card? I believe the navigation software is TomTom. Might be worth checking on the TomTom website. There may be a way of reinstalling the software if you search under either AVN2 or W920R.

Unlike the earlier (Sanyo?) unit, I donā€™t think that the Alpine AVN2 uses TomTom.

The navigation firmware is held on the unit. The maps also live on the unit up to a point after which they were too big to be held locally and they needed to be moved to a microSD card - but even then, I think that the firmware itself is run from the head unit.

Yes I think you are right. There is not normally an SD card required.

Thats what I am hoping Alpine will come back withā€¦an option to reinstall the Nav firmware.
Thanks for your help thus far :+1:appreciate it.

Donā€™t tell them you have an AVN2. Quote W920R. Although they were made by Alpine they were supplied under an agreement where Mazda were responsible for after sales service. Mazda will have paid a whole lot less than you could buy an Alpine from Halfords.

How about this?

https://www.alpine.co.uk/support/software-and-map-updates/navigation-systems/ine-w92xr-ine-w977bt-navigation-application-update.html

Tried this, I dont know whether this is a naming thing, but I have never got the system to recognise anything in the microSD slot.

Too late for thatšŸ˜µ Im afraid already give the game away.

If the microSD slot is not being recognised, and the navigation module is no longer working, Iā€™d be inclined to start thinking that thereā€™s a hardware fault. If so, it would probably be cheaper/easier to look for a replacement Alpine unit (or even upgrade to an Android Auto unit) rather than fix it.

Have you tried removing the unit from the dash and checking that all connectors are tight? (Not that Iā€™d really expect this to be the problem).

Morning Philip, I have had a response from Alpine and they suggest that the Navigation card has failed.
The stereo is now fantastic, so rather than incur the expense of a Mazda repair, or an Alpine repair, I think the phone map option will have to do for now.
Maybe change to an Android Auto unit later.

Thanks for your help and advice. :+1:

I have an AVN Backup on an external drive dated JAN 2014, it has a tom tom install in the folder does anyone think this might help @BRGBrian?Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 13.08.49

I might even have an original CD