Anyone used these or have an opinion on them

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2007 Icon 1.8__
  2. I’m based near: __Louth , Lincs
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Replacing front indicators with dual purpose LEDs to give DRLs and turn

Hi

Just fitted these and I am very impressed.
the DRL function is a very bright white, and the indicators are just as good.
Only need to connect 2 wires, one to a ignition live and one to the dipped beam wire.
The only issue is the need to split the headlight to “de-tango” the amber lens inside.
This is a bit daunting, remove bumper, remove lights, place in oven at 100 deg for 15 mins and split apart.
remove the amber plastic, reheat the assembly and put it back together.
Trust me if I can do it anyone can.

They should be an MOT failure but it depends how on-the-ball the tester is.

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply. I think I’ll give it go after the festivities. Did you buy them from the same places I’ve seen them? Thanks again.

What would be the reason for the MOT failure please?

Not E-marked (LEDs in an original enclosure never can be - the whole lamp unit has to be replaced with something designed for LEDs). I have had LED stop/tail bulbs for years but they are almost impossible to detect. Front clear units make it more obvious, as will the colour of the white LEDs.

Having said that, the testers are more focused on replacement LED headlight “bulbs” which are far more dangerous - a large LED source in a housing designed for halogen gives an imprecise, potentially dazzling, beam.

I’ve got similar LED/DRL’s in the front indicators. First year’s ownership I deactivated the DRL (pulled a fuse) and it passed MOT no problems. The following year I completely forgot about doing similar pre MOT and it still passed.
Before my first MOT with the car I had to go to the garage and I asked about such LED bulbs and the legal side of things re passing an MOT. Two testers came to the car to look and one said I’ll need to check my manual, I had to convince him the NC never did have DRL’s fitted from factory. The other tester who’s done many tests on this and other cars I’ve owned said I can’t see anything wrong with the set up but mentioned they do concentrate more on checking headlight bulb legality.

Hi

I got them from AliExpress, but a different supplier.
Make sure you get the 7440 fitment.

Good Luck

I’m pretty sure the LED conversion only applies to headlamps and not other lamps.

From the MOT Inspection Manual in the Headlamps section.

“Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.”

While that idea was no hassle with my 2008 Niseko headlight units (already detangoed), it already had fog lights and switch etc, so it was not much of a fiddle to simply replace the existing fog lamps with combination fog+DRL lamps.

Fortunately there is no worry about legality this way, especially on a car this old.

I’ve since moved them across to my 25AE, and that was much more of a hassle, but only specifically because of the Mk3.75 fog-lamp mountings!

Alas, that Viinstar kit has doubled in price since I did the mod.

Had them for years on my Eunos and previous NC (now have an ND). I also fitted them to the rear of the NC as dual indicator/reverse lights and did the same conversion on 2 others NC’s as well.

I fitted U.S. front indicator lenses on the Eunos (clear, no yellow insert) and turned them into DRL/Indicators. They are very bright and a boom on the low-slung Eunos

PhotoRoom_20230502_102453

Doesn’t show how bright they are but I don’t have a night shot.

BTW, bought mine from Amazon for about the same price.

3 Likes

How did you wire up the rears for the indicators/ reverse lights, did you remove the original reverse bulb on the NC?

I removed mine but other peeps I did this for left theirs in. All I did was use the white light lead on the switchbacks and connected it to the reverse light wiring. I wired up both lamps as the drive/parking area for my friends is pitch black, no other lighting, and they wanted max illumination. You could choose to just wire one up, your choice.

My DRLS are my headlights. Always on including in daylight and on main beam when approaching roundabouts and side roads. No need to spend on mods.

are you serious you drive up to roundabouts with your headlights on main beam

2 Likes