My new precious is a 25th Anniversary

Today I began the DRL+Fog conversion of the original NC3 Fog lights. Rather than buy a new kit I re-used the one I salvaged from my NC1 Niseko before the Copart guy drove it away onto his multi-car trailer.
Of course while the Mazda fitted fogs are identical, the mounting system is totally different, and doing it this way some fettling is necessary. Some pics follow to show the problem and my solution.
My original 2020 installation on the Niseko is shown here on the forum, and apart from fettling the mountings this went exactly the same way.

Right hand NC3 fog light and plastic housing

The hole it came out of. The metal bracket (for TPMS transceiver) fixed to it at the top left is a right XXX, I ended up springing it out to extract the housing from behind it.

The adjuster slot needs opening out because the Vinstar fog beam has a slightly higher aim.
Before.

And after

The left pivot on the lamp needed its shoulder trimming into a taper, to go into the mounting hole deep enough.

I needed to remove some of the housing to fit the new lamps, the markings show the first cut lines, better not enough than too much, and in the end I needed to file off quite a bit more on the right hand cut, but only a millimetre on the top one.

I used the material from the off-cut to make up a new bit of mounting frame. I have a plastic welding tool, it’s fine on soft plastic things like dustbins and water tanks, but this Mazda plastic was on its upper limit, so the result is strong enough, but a bit untidy. And as my dear old Dad would say, “A blind man would be glad to see it.”

And here it is in the car, with wiring etc tidied away. You can see how much more I needed to trim the ‘right hand cut.’

And the fog-light beam top is at the correct height and drops with distance, the same as the Mazda one did.

See my previous install linked above for tap-in details in the fusebox and a wiring diagram.

1 Like