Bush Set, door bushings, Delrin, Cobalt

Hi,
I have purchased these Bush Set, door bushings, Delrin, Cobalt, pair - Doors & Fittings - Body & Chassis - MX-5 Mk4 (ND) - Mazda - Shop by Model (moss-europe.co.uk) and have found a problem fitting them to our ND2. They are not a snug fit in the door cups, there is 2mm of vertical movement. I have checked another ND2 and it is the same.
I have also tested them on a Mk3 NC and they are a very snug fit as per the instructions.
So has anyone else fitted these to an ND1 or ND2 and what was your experience?
The door cups on our car are certainly different to the NC that I tried. All comments eagerly awaited.
I have asked Moss for their comments and will advise when I have had a reply.
:heart:

1 Like

BTTT.
Just checking as it appears that no one on here has fitted delrin door bushes to their ND.
I thought these were supposed to be the DB’s so was expecting a few replies at least.

I only purchased them out of personal curiosity to see if they made the differences that are quoted by ‘others’. My gut feeling is NO, and judging by the apparent take up for ND models is probably correct.
If any ND1 owners are in or around Filey over the next week or so please let me know and I would be delighted to meet up for a test fit in your doors. It will only take 5 seconds.

1 Like

I bought a set two weeks ago, again purely for reasons same as yours. They are in the pile of stuff to fit. I’ll check later this evening and get back to you. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Cheers T,
Let me know if you have ND1 or ND2.

ND1 - 2016 Recaro Sport, have to go to my dads house first then will get a look

1 Like

@Mad_Malc do these photos help? I pressed it into the door cup and it was tight. ND1

1 Like

Many thanks, that is exactly what I expected mine to be like but they just fall out. There has obviously been some change during the life of the ND.
Once again thank you for taking the time to help it is much appreciated.

1 Like

So a quick update for those interested.

The Mazda part numbers for both the cup and the bush have not changed through Mk1,2,3 and 4 production. (Thanks Roadster Robbie for checking)
The shape of the cup is definitely different on the two 30AEs that I have been able to access.

Conclusion: If you have a later Mk4 perhaps test fit the bush before parting with your money as they may well not fit. Alternatively buy 2 door cups to match the bush or get a hammer and reshape the current cups.

If anyone has two spare cups from any MX5 that are going cheap then I may be interested in them so I can conclude my ‘experiment’.

2 Likes

Or for more precise control a decent bench vice.

2 Likes

I only checked that they hadn’t through ND production, I didn’t check other generations.

1 Like

Glad it helped you out :+1:t3:

1 Like

The guy who made and supplied the machined Delrin bushes for my nc2 Miyako was Rob Bate.
I imagine he would know of any differences.
You can try contacting him to find out, he is very helpful. Or give Moss a call.

A final update on this topic:

The Delrin bushes do not fit any ND2 that I have tested so I am confident that the part No. S084-62-671A has changed in shape.

If you have an ND2 it is more than likely that you will need two of the original shaped dovetails in order to fit Delrin bushes.

Moss who I originally purchased the bushes from have been fantastic in resolving this matter to my entire satisfaction. I can not recommend them highly enough. They have been very thorough and have already amended their website to reflect our joint findings.

If anyone would like any further information then please feel free to contact me by ‘private mail’ and I will endeavour to help.

3 Likes

Does anyone have contact details for Rob Bate as I’m interested in purchasing a pair of door bushes. I’m not part of the Facebook universe.
Thanks, Laurie

:point_right: What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2) - #402 by MX-Fun :point_left:

1 Like

I finally fitted mine to the ND1. Neither required any adjustments which I was surprised about but definitely a more solid clunk on closing. Tomorrow I’m out in the car so will see if any different.

2 Likes

Hopefully you started off with the bolts slightly loose and gradually tightened them between opening and closing the doors several times to allow them to self-align…

Thanks Max, I’ll get in touch with Rob. Experimenting with closing pressures on the doors yesterday, they certainly closed with only the lightest of swings with the original OEM NB (circa 1999) ones!!

Yes I should have been more specific, they required no adjustments to the material (some people reporting needing to sand them etc) just adjustments to the positioning as per the instructions, via multiple iterations :+1:

1 Like

Excellent.
My Delrin bushes needed no sanding either

1 Like