Dash cam wires

1. My model of MX-5 is: __3
  2. I’m based near: North Essesx
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Dash cam wires

Hi, and hopefully a happy Xmas.

My son bought me a Dash cam for Xmas with yards of wire , so I would like to run the wire around and fix it so its out of the way, as the camera will be in a permanent position , my question is, what is the best and most discreet way of fixing the wire around the interior without removing bits of dashboard or whatever?, are there any small black adhesive clips available? What have other owners done ?
Cheers
Boz

The easy way is fix the dash cam in a position just behind the interior mirror or thereabouts. The wiring can then be tucked in along the header rail going towards the passenger side. It will need to go around the striker plate or as I did take the plate off and conceal it behind there but don’t trap the wiring behind when refitting.
You can then again tuck the wiring in down the A pillar cover right down to the area near the glove box. Glove box out and feed it along towards the 12v socket at the dash. You should have only around 6 inches of lead showing with the plug on the end, just conceal the rest behind the centre console or glove box.
Now if you want to hard wire it as I did…
That’s more involved but easy enough, you need an hardwire kit though. That’ll connect to that small fusebox at the base of the A pillar. Route the wiring in the same way from the dash cam but obviously no need to plug in at the 12v socket keeping that free.

2 Likes

I did this last year with a Nextbase 512. However I’d recommend going to the newer 522 which I fitted to our Mazda3, mainly because the optional rear camera is easier and cheaper to find in the market. Here is how I did the NC (updated with new links to the NC On-line Manual).

and the Mazda3

3 Likes

[DIY Install Guide: Budget Dash Cam Front (1080p) and Rear (720p) Hard Wired to NC - with links](http://DIY Install Guide: Budget Dash Cam Front (1080p) and Rear (720p) Hard Wired to NC - with links)

This may be of use to you.

3 Likes

I fed the wires behind the trim by pushing it in and down the door pillar to the bottom of the dash. I then used small bulldog clips the type with wire handles that can be pushed back to clip wire to underside of dash to cigar lighter socket.The wire handles folded back so they are hidden

2 Likes

Don’t for forget to position it in an area that’s swept by the wipers :+1:t2: