Daytime Running Lights

Totally agree

DRL,s. Should be wired to a relay to dim when the lights are turned on

Fog lights are for poor visibility ONLY

…having said that,

the fog lights come on one at a time on our DS to illuminate the side of the road when turning the wheel under 30 mph, but they are LEDs

As regard to sidelights. I never use them when driving. You can’t be seen well at night even in a lit street. 

Unfortunately the law says you can in the UK. Very outdated…from the days before powerful batteries ans Alternators!

I’ve just fitted some round DRLs ( led type ) in the blanks where the fog lights would be. I did this for cosmetic reasons rather than anything else as I think the blanks look rather dull, and couldn’t stretch to the £200 MX5 Parts want for fog lights. They are connected to the wiring for the fog lights so behave in the same way. I asked my friendly MOT garage about this and he said he didn’t see any problems. ( I might dick with the wiring at a later date but can’t find a mk3.5 diagram that is readable )
D.

Do you have a link to the DRL’s you fitted?
Mine is a mk 2.5, is there much difference in the hole size?
I would like to have them wired up as DRL’s rather than fog lights.

I’m pretty sure these are the ones, though it was over a year ago ( yes I know, it’s taken me a long time to get round to fitting them ).
http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/drlro-lp-round-drl-4-led-daytime-running-lights-front-spot-fog-lights.html
They are 70mm diameter and fit the MK3.5 blanks almost perfectly. See picture below. I will work on getting them set up as DRLs with time, but for now I just wanted to fill the blanks, and they work fine using the fog light switch.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link, They were too small for the holes on a mk 2.5, but these http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/fogdrl-cob-led-fog-drl-spot-lights-angel-eyes-pair-3.5-3-and-2.5-universal-2400-lumens.html from the same company would appear to be a good fit (the 89mm ones) I have ordered them and will let you know when they arrive and I have had them fitted.
Thanks for your help,
Paul

I did similar - replaced the fog light bulbs with leds and now use them as DRLs - manually at the moment every time I get in the car, but intend to fiddle with the wiring so they come in with ignition.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=164518&page=2

I’m guessing if you just replaced the fog light bulbs with LEDs you have to have the side lights on to get these to come on. I’ve been looking into a way of operating them independently but that is work in progress. If you’ve found a way I would be interested to know how.

I know this thread is getting rather old but there is one point that seems to have been missed (or maybe I missed it). The pros and cons of such lights does not matter any more and in February 2011 our lords and masters in the EU decided that daytime running lights are a legal requirement on all cars sold in the EU. As there is still no law in the UK requiring lights to be used in daylight it’s another example of the EU dictating local law.

If you take your car abroad though remember that in many countries it IS the law that lights must be used at all times so fitting these lights to an older car saves having to remember when they are needed or not. Easy to forget when you come from UK but I got stopped by plod in Bosnia last year as I had no lights on. That was on my Z3 but today with my ND its not an issue. At drivers are used to seeing them now. Many years back I had a SAAB and they had daytime lights. Got fed up with helpful drivers reminding me I had my lights on !!

As an aside, some years back I drove 7 1/2 tonne trucks on multi drop deliveries. I was always happy when I got to work and found I was allocated an old truck. This was because EU law dictated that the newer trucks were fitted with governors so they could not do more than 56 mph. The older trucks were not required to comply so I could legally drive at the UK limit of 60 (or faster if needed). Does not sound much of a difference until you are stuck behind a governed truck doing 55 and it would take about 10 miles to pass.

I know this thread is getting rather old but there is one point that seems to have been missed (or maybe I missed it). The pros and cons of such lights does not matter any more and in February 2011 our lords and masters in the EU decided that daytime running lights are a legal requirement on all cars sold in the EU. As there is still no law in the UK requiring lights to be used in daylight it’s another example of the EU dictating local law.

If you take your car abroad though remember that in many countries it IS the law that lights must be used at all times so fitting these lights to an older car saves having to remember when they are needed or not. Easy to forget when you come from UK but I got stopped by plod in Bosnia last year as I had no lights on. That was on my Z3 but today with my ND its not an issue. At drivers are used to seeing them now. Many years back I had a SAAB and they had daytime lights. Got fed up with helpful drivers reminding me I had my lights on !!

As an aside, some years back I drove 7 1/2 tonne trucks on multi drop deliveries. I was always happy when I got to work and found I was allocated an old truck. This was because EU law dictated that the newer trucks were fitted with governors so they could not do more than 56 mph. The older trucks were not required to comply so I could legally drive at the UK limit of 60 (or faster if needed). Does not sound much of a difference until you are stuck behind a governed truck doing 55 and it would take about 10 miles to pass.

Only just dipped into this today, have a look here

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postsm597420findlastpost_Guide-for-fitting-DRL-s-to-MX-5-Mark-3-5.aspx#post600041

my posts with pics are at the bottom of the page. The DRL modules make the running lights at full power on their own, half power when side and/or main lights switched on. Was easy to install and cost about £15 for the module. Hope this might be of some help.

Barrie

Definitely adding DRLs to my plans for the Mk3, although as I already have fog lights I need to find a different option.

I realise that it’s a subjective argument but I commute on a motorbike all year round and spending much of my time on the motorway. The new LED-based DRLs are extremely bright (which is why they have to be dimmed at night) and they make a massive difference to visibility both in terms of ensuring that I can be seen and helping me to spot other road users. Based on my personal experience I think they are an excellent idea, although I completely agree they are not going to resolve the problem of idiots behind the wheel of a vehicle or sat astride a motorbike.

For Info My Brother in Law Got a Fixed Penalty A couple Of Weeks Ago For Driving With His Rear Fogs On In The Rain. I Think The Copper Said It Was For Driving Without Due Care Ect Ect

The copper was slightly wrong it is actually an offence on its own to drive with either your front or rear fog lights on when visabilty is more than 100 meters and it’s a £100 fixed penalty notice although if it’s deemed a danger to other road users you can be prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention

Three separate offences

1. Fog lights, and that’s what he got the FPN for.

2. Driving without due care or reasonable consideration for other road users

3. Dangerous driving

I suspect it was the second part of #2 that may also apply - the bit about driving without reasonable consideration for other road users i.e. an inconvenience, because it dazzles following drivers. However it also carries points for your licence, so a FPT would be a better deal for both your brother in law and the Bobby, as it means no points for him and less paperwork for the Officer concerned. To do someone for Reasonable Consideration for a fog lamp would be a bit of a sledgehammer/walnut scenario!

Dangerous driving is just that and carries a greater penalty, which from memory, also carries the possibility of incarceration for a maximum period of 2yrs.

How does one differentiate between DRL s and front fog lights?

Not ever heard of anyone being done for having their front fog lights on. Generally it’s the rear ones that cause the problems, probably because they are so much brighter than your standard tail lights whereas front fogs are no brighter than just sticking your dip lights on.

I’m fairly sure that if you fitted high intensity LEDs as DRL and didn’t have them dimming at night that would get you some attention.

Where the EU is concerned and your common-sense points you are

Driving lights are dangerous for the reasons you stated.

Well fitted for months now and without doubt I get seen…  Fitted correctly and go off when main lights are on.

So worth fitting? -  I think yes.

John

lights

1 Like

I agree with Cypher, although I may have gone slightly over the top. When the sun is behind you the only cars you can see in the rearview mirrors are those with DRLs…

YouTube

You lights are mint mate,dont list to the ’ i kniw everything’ bastards