ERIC my mk3.5 metropolitan grey sport tech.....the story so far !!

Confused… Are you putting Syntrans in the gearbox or the QX ?? As they are the same viscosity does the same oil do the box and the diff ? Lastly how much oil for the box and the diff please ? 

Thanks. 

1 Like

castrol syntrans GL4 for gearbox , recommended if notchy 1st to 2nd gear change  .      (2.1 ltr required IIRC ) ordered 3 ltr off ebay 

triple qx in diff  which is GL5 .   .        (1 ltr required . IIRC . ) .     had this in garage from last mk3 

HTH

put ERIC a new exhaust on ( new to me , well its been in my garage 6 months )

back box delete …

burbles n pops 

bought it from fellow mx5 owner who said it was off his car ,

but it didn’t fit mine , had to re fabricate a little .

trying to make ERIC as tidy underneath as he is up top

so underneath this weekend with wire brush / cordless drill with wire wheel and attacked  the areas that were covered with surface rust .

once clean i applied rustproofer liberally 

heres a few pics while i was on with job, i will get it back up on the ramps in a few days and touch up any areas that may have been missed 

Going/gone through a similar process Geoff  it’s just par for the course, certainly on mine with spaceship mileage  suspension components, links etc and the rear sub frame for me, surprisingly other underside areas were/are very good. Keep up the good work, you know it’s worth it!

Barrie

1 Like

thanks baz , we are getting there , slowly 

few days ago i noticed that ERIC was just holding back a bit , not free wheeling at junctions or stood at lights when you would expect it to etc 

so on inspection i found the front o/s caliper sticking. 

prices were £60 for ECP caliper or £35 for rebuild kit inc pistons, seals , rubbers for pins ,grease etc for both front brakes ,

so as  i like a challenge and never done a caliper full rebuild before i thought i would have a go 

i watched some Youtube clips and read up on forum and had a bash 

it took just over an hour from wheel off to wheel on , inc bleeding brakes ( engine off ) 

i would say to anyone that is half decent with spanners , have a go , its not hard …but is rewarding when you completed it 

back on the road for test drive 

12 miles test drive brakes feel bob on now , 

ps.  caliper to repaint now , as they do get knocked around when doing rebuild 

Every credit to you as that is a fabulous looking Mk3. ??

I am sorely tempted to get a mk3 looking at yours!

1 Like

just dropped these off at powder coating place near me, pick up next week 

also doing me a little bonus job ,

pics when i collect 

Dare I ask, which colour you’ve decided on for the wheels? 

Barrie

[quote=Bettabuilda]

Dare I ask, which colour you’ve decided on for the wheels? 

Barrie

surprise !!

[quote=bally3]

so i dropped the wheels off at powder coaters while i went for a week in slightly sunny Cornwall ,

here’s the bonus job i got him to do ,

he wouldn’t move on his price , so i asked him to do this as a freebie , to make a sweeter deal ( his prices are great to start with to be fair !!) 

but if ya don’t ask , ya don’t get , thats my motto 

fitted ,

just adds a bit of bling !

pics of wheels to follow when center caps done 

1 Like

had a present bought too , so would be rude not to fit it straight on ERIC…

1 Like

picked up the alloys on saturday , he has done a great job , (as he did last time )

with the car being dark grey ( metropolitan )  i stuck with the lighter, brighter silver 

the center caps needed a refurb’ so i removed the mazda emblem , sanded , sprayed ,lacquered and refitted .

then set about fitting all the recoated alloys 

the wheels were done by a local firm , (Barnsley ) … they did my bronze ones on my last mk3 

the price , for 4 x 17" alloys , removing tyres , dipping , blasting , repairing scuffs , re coating , new valves , tyres refitted and balancing …  £160

PLUS…he did me the strut brace as a freebie 

VERY HAPPY BUNNY…

ps…i can supply name/ number of company if anyone requires it 

1 Like

after getting ERIC back together it was only right to give him a ride out ,

first call was garage to check tyre pressures ( glad i did as he had put 32psi in all tyres …reset these to 29psi )

called at biker cafe for coffee,

then took a couple of pics with new bits on 

1 Like

“ERIC” looks very smart with the refinished wheels Geoff! Have to say, I didn’t get anywhere near as good a deal but still less than £200 for all four, so anyone considering new/different wheels, it’s worth considering and great value too!

Barrie

1 Like

a ride out today with the peaks n pennines group ,

1 Like

Nice one Geoff  did you miss the rain?

Barrie

hi baz , yes the weather was great…top down all the way !