Leave me alone I’m having fun

My apologies to you and @Stevewall59. It wasn’t my intention to stir up such debate. The point had been made further up in the thread that you are best to continue, as you were, and let them carry on to meet like-minded individuals (paraphrase - earlier quote from a police officer). A sound philosophy. I wasn’t aiming to de-rail the subject on any other level.

1 Like

As one moderator has already said, religion is a subject that some people have very strong opinions on, both positive and negative, and discussions on this subject invariably lead to heated arguments.

Ray, you might be the mildest mannered, nicest chap (I’m sure you are) and I’m sure you would be the epitome of decorum but some wouldn’t. Some sleeping dogs are best left lying for the sake of peace and quiet.

5 Likes

Well, that’s wierd - the post I was responding to has disappeared.

1 Like

If it was directed at me Then I’m not surprised. It’s a funny business mentioning Religion, Meanwhile if it “ was “ about religion. Tie your Hands behind your back… best method of avoidance of a slapped wrist …

In any other circumstance I cannot help you, best regards from Ray Hill Essex

Norfolk has a reputation for “dewin’ diffrunt”, not only by the local population (for which I am proud to be part of), but also in the vernacular of the highways signs.

The above was noticed a few miles north of Attleborough today, whilst escaping from the carnage of the roadworks on the A11. If there was a 30 mph sign further on, then I fully expected it to say “Hold yew hard bouy:blush: :blush:

Laurie

3 Likes

By the way, how do yew say Deopham and Garboldisham. This rum ol gal from the Fens has a bit of trouble when she gews into Norfolk from Cambridgeshire, cos our accents are different.

Sorry for straying from the original topic but it interests me - I can already say Ingoldisthorpe properly and do a mean Sid Kipper impression, but, Thas oonly because the top half of our fen farm were in the Isle of Ely and the other third were in Norfolk - thas fen for yer. We allus took our stock to gew summer grazin on Welney Washes - thas all in Norfolk!
:+1:

1 Like

Is it true they have webbed feet & hands in Naarfhaak? :astonished:

2 Likes

Webbed hands and feet - nah, that’s a slur put out by thars trakkter buoys from dawn sowf in Ipswich!! Costessey, where I live is pronounced Cos sea, and of course all thars outsiders know that Happisburgh is pronounced Hays Bro.

1 Like

You can talk - what about Kirkcudbright (Kir-coo-bree) and Milngavie (Mul-guy) :wink:

1 Like

Ah the fens… We have plenty of 'em in Lincolnshire too. I’d like you to meet my wife and sister, here she is.

2 Likes

If you want proper scuttle shake then you need to go for a drive in a Triumph Spitfire, or any other Triumph sports car with a chassis :joy:

2 Likes

So many of us lusted after Triumph, MG and other British soft tops in our younger days while we could only afford the insurance on something a lot less desirable.

Most of those were badly screwed together and trouble when they were new and they certainly won’t have got better with age.

With an MX-5 we get all the positives with a lot less hassles and faults and with modern enhancements, safety, performance and handling.

Plenty of woes in the world and a drive in an MX-5 is better and cheaper than therapy.

:smiley:

4 Likes

I love my mx5, in fact I wouldn’t trade it for a 911 (except to sell the 911 and use the cash to buy another mx5).

I used to own a heavily modified Audi S3, and whilst the torque is addicting - the driving experience felt so synthetic. I did a “run what you brung” in it once and reached 150mph on an airstrip and it didn’t feel fast.

Driving an mx5 at 70mph feels like a life threatening experience, much more fun.

3 Likes

One of my former colleagues, since knighted for services to his region, and a genuinely nice bloke tells a lovely story about his first Ferrari - a red 355 gts I think. He was sitting in it by the road side waiting to pick up a friend when two young women walked by smiling and looking. He was bursting with pride at the work and commitment that had delivered him a dream car and the recognition he commanded when he heard one say to the other look at that sad old t0££er in the sports car. With hindsight he welcomed the brush with reality.

2 Likes

Common little slappers.

1 Like

Thas not true bor. Thas us in the Fens have webs.
(mind you we dew have some Fens thas Norfolk and some thas Lincolshire - where the yeller-bellies live) This ‘ere Joggraphy can git confusin’ an partisan!

1 Like

Anyway - back to the original Topic - my MX-5 is the closest thing we could get to an Elan(we had a few +2s - had to go :smiling_face_with_tear:),that I could keep running - all the fun, great handling and I’m a convert!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Drive proud and ENJOY! :hugs:

1 Like

Oh there’s a thing ! My son once had a Spitfire based kit car with a 1600 pinto motor.
Any residual metal that Triumph had fitted was it seemed replaced with plywood and thin ally sheet .
It leaked like a sieve from every angle ( so much I dubbed it the Sports Sieveage )
Now I’m not sure if this was scuttle shake or borderline structural failure. The beast never seemed connected to the road and equipment would fall out of the dash along with doors popping open on anything less than smooooth tarmac.
I rode in it once. Terrifying.

2 Likes

Oh, the Triumph Spitfire scuttle shake! I remember it well. The “Tombstone” connected the dash/scuttle to the floor chassis members using six bolts. The two at the dash/tombstone connection were far too small to add any rigidity. The only solution would be to weld the tombstone to the chassis rails and the dash, then you would not have been able to get at the clutch or gearbox, which was an often needed maintenance activity.

A friend of mine has just bought a completely restored Triumph Stag, which although it is a beautiful looking and sounding car, rattles, squeaks and shimmies like the best of them. He was concerned, and I had to tell him that this was to be expected on a 70’s convertible sports car :grimacing:

3 Likes

We had two Spitfires. We had a Mk3 that I restored from a wreck and had for 27 years, this was the car I sold and bought the NB that we still have, our first Spit was a 2 1/2 year old 1500 1980 model that came with a hardtop, when the summer came I removed the hardtop and when my wife came back from a drive in it she asked me if I had left some bolts out, as in her words “the body wobbles all over the place”.

1 Like