Oil recommendations

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2014 3.75 2.0 sport tech (lsd/6spd)
  2. I’m based near:kent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: service and lubricants

Hi,
I am about to carry out a full service on my new nc 3.75 2.0.
I have read around a little and noticed that some people have recommendations about particular oils that can keep the 6 speed manual transmission quiet, remove notchyness etc whereas others report certain oils make the transmission behave badly or don’t help at all. My gearbox seems fine but obviously I’d like to keep it that way so quiet and smooth is what I’m looking for.

Similar situation with the diff, I’d like to keep the lsd in top order and keep noise to a minimum going forward as it wears.

Does anyone have a particular recommendation of brand/grade that works well in both applications? It seems the mazda can be a little fussy if I get these particular oils wrong. I like redline products and have used them before, but wanted to know which to get for which.

Thanks in advance,
Dean.

Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS Manual Transmission Fluid has a good reputation for the gearbox and in my ND1 which has an lsd I use Millers CRX LS 75w/90 NT+

Thanks for the info. I did read that about the motorcraft oil, also with the red line mt90. Sounds like either of those would do the business. :+1:

The Castrol oil works extremely well.

Thanks pimpernel, I researched a bit more on here and elsewhere and the consensus is the ford oil, the castrol as you’ve suggested or the redline. As I’ve used the red line stuff in the past on another aisin 6 speed (albeit on another car) and it was spot on, I’ve gone ahead and ordered the mt90 for the box and the 75w90 lsd oil for the diff. I bought a pack of three so I have a little over for the turret, can’t hurt :+1:

I’m using Motul Gear 300 75/90 in my ND1 gearbox and it works really well with next to no cold-start gear selection issues. Interesting comment about the Ford grade, I need to look into that one a bit more.

Where do you recommend getting the oil from? Is OpieOils preferable to Halfords/ EuroCarParts et al?The Ford Motorcraft doesn’t seem so available.

Would this compare well to the more popular brands? They seem to do quite a few. Like Dean, I’m looking for engine oil, differential and potentially gearbox if it isn’t too too much of a fuss to change.

Halfords have the Mobil 1 on offer at the moment; would this be preferable to the Super 3000 for a high mileage 2l Mk3 Sport?

Any recommendations on filters? Or is it largely a case of most will do a good job now so just pick what’s on offer and spend more time behind the wheel instead of the laptop…? :sweat_smile:

I’ve run my NC’s on Mobil 5w 30 super 3000 FE (4+ litres will do it) for a few years now good for 10k but mine gets changed annually which I do around 5k miles.
The Castrol Transmax 75w 90 multivehicle oil to GL 4 spec for the gearbox (2 x 1ltr) and Castrol universal 75w 90 for the diff to spec GL4/5 (1 x 1ltr):+1:

Thanks Mick. Where would you buy from?

I’d get the Mobil engine oil from Halfords, use your OC discount. Sadly they don’t do Castrol trans or diff oils there so it’s best price off eBay suppliers, Opie oils or even Amazon. I’ve used most suppliers with good results but do check the specs are correct before clicking the buy button.

1 Like

Would this oil be perfect for the Mk3 2L LSD differential as it’s on offer? Millers Oils Motorsport CRX LS 75w-90 NT+ Nanodrive Synthetic Transmission Oil 1 Litre

That would be ok👍