Replacing front lower control arms, weekend DIY or best left to the pros?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2011 Sport Tech 2.0
  2. I’m based near: Hemel Hempstead
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Replacing Lower Control Arms.

I was recently informed by my mechanic that the front lower control arms in my car need replacing. I was able to get the dealer I bought the car from to send me replacements (shocking I know), and I am tempted to try and install them this weekend.

I don’t have a lift or impact gun, only jack stands, a driveway, and too much time. Is this something worth attempting to undertake, or should I just pay to have it done?

Happy to provide more details as needed.

On a car more than 10 years old I’d first be looking at the condition of the nuts and bolts you have to undo.

If there is absolutely no sign of corrosion I might be tempted to go DIY but if there is the slightest sign of rust I’d leave it to the professionals with an impact gun.

Then there is the issue of wheel alignment after the job is done which is outside my skill set.

Good luck what ever you choose to do.

1 Like

There are a couple of lengthy articles on doing this (including mine) on the forum. They should be sufficiently clear to decide yourself. The problem is not getting nuts off bolts, but getting bolts out of the steel bushes in the elastomeric mounts. They generally have to be cut, best done with a dagger saw.

I did mine on axle stands in garage with plenty of time and tools.

1 Like

My article:

1 Like

p.s. why do they need replacing? I can only guess the elastomeric bushes or the ball joint? I think the Mazda design team missed the “Design of maintenance” courses at university.

1 Like

Thanks for the article Steve! I was told they are deteriorating and would prevent a good alignment from being done or something. They honestly don’t look terrible to me, but that’s why im not a mechanic…

I will have a read through your post and make a decision.

Yeah rust is my biggest concern ofc. With Steve’s article I think I should be able to make a good decision!

When I swapped the suspension out on mine I had to crack the lower arm bolts to preload everything. They moved just fine. You may be lucky, as everyone’s said if the everything frees up then it’s only I believe 3 bolts each side and a couple of nuts, but if they’re seized an easy job could turn into a pig.

1 Like

Wise advice. If you attempt it and end up with rounded or sheered bolts you could be left stranded.

Also, soak some WD40 into it and leave it for an hour first, just makes life that little easier.

1 Like

Put a generous amount Fast Release on all the nuts this evening, going to give it a gentle attempt tomorrow evening if the weather is decent.

plus gas fluid is your friend, also buy an impact gun, it will save you the price in every job you do yourself and very rewarding. I have a ryobi which is perfect for a home mechanic. There has been no bolt that hasnt come undone yet and i took apart a whole subframe on the mx5. Failing that a small blow torch is also handy as well as many hours of watching Youtube :wink:

1 Like

So I gave it a shot this evening. The nuts came off without too much issue, but the bolts are really fighting me. Additionally, for some reason I didn’t think to buy a spring compressor so it has now expanded meaning I cannot put it back on… You live and you learn.

I have called it quits for the evening, and will re-attack tomorrow after I get a spring compressor unless anyone has other recommendations.

Wish I had read this before starting!

If the car is on axle stands - put your jack under the lower ball joint and lift it until you can put the bolts back in.

I have only the side I’m working on jacked up(on stands), but the issue is that the shock keeps expanding, and it’s slid outward towards the brakes.

I did try using the jack to push the shock up but it got a bit unstable so i decided to quit while I was ahead.

I was watching a video where they recommended removing the upper control bits and removing the shock entirely, so that’s the backup plan!

If you remove the inner bolts on the upper control arm the assembly can swivel outwards and you can manouver the shock out.

2 Likes

Me again! I got some clamps for the spring and removed the upper control arm bolts which has given me some play in the shock! It looks like i am going to have to remove the whole shock as i still cannot get quite enough room to bang out the ball joint, but its progress!!

Before removing upper control arm bolts

After

[Uploading: 20240314_135108.JPG…](

Strut removed! Balljoint isn’t being as cooperative…

You shouldn’t have had to compress the spring. This issue arises when you work on suspension components without jacking and supporting both sides of the car. The arb twists because it’s loaded and puts everything under tension. With the arb disconnected and the shock loose you should of been able to remove it just by letting the knuckle drop forward and manouver it out :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah in hindsight I actually didnt need the clamps to get it out, live and learn I guess.

Final update for the day. I was able to release the balljoint by lining up the jackstand under the bolt (with nut on but loose) and then pound it down a few times until it popped out.

I also got the front lower control arm bolt out by twisting it slowly back and forth while spraying tons of Fast Release and WD40.

One bolt remains, and its fighting for its life. I was able to lift the car up on just the bolt (with nut to prevent mushrooming). May need a saw for that… Calling it a day for now as its raining.

Some photos below (the rusty bolt is what I freed from the control arm.

1 Like