Undersealing at MX5 City in 2020

Any chance of pointing us in the right direction of said inspection holes please?

1 Like

If you take off the panels behind the seats where the seat belts are, there is a decent size access hole there. Also there are a few under the kick plates.

1 Like

Many thanks :+1:

Also if you have the kick plates off pull back the carpet, on the vertical panel (the inner sill) next to the seat there are 3 rubber bungs this gains access to another void of the sill construction. (NB)

1 Like

This is all excellent information, thanks :+1:

Garage has had my car for just over a week now as waiting for Dinitrol to dry fully as it’s still a bit tacky. Hopefully I’ll get it back tomorrow as missing top down winter motoring.

1 Like

Hi new to the forum and it looks like this will be the first job I do to mine when I get it - I’ll probably do it myself in the garage on axle stands and this thread has some really good pointers (it will also remind me of my youth when we used to do it to all our cars). I’ve seen the link for the Dinitrol kit but which one do I need ? (car is a 55 launch edition)

Thanks

Ian

Possibly this one Shop | Dinitrol Direct

Edited the thread title to better reflect the direction it has taken.

2 Likes

Are the access points the same for an NA as well? Thank you.

1 Like

Well…

Safe to say this is the most popular topic I’ve ever started!

The car is going for undersealing at MX5 City tomorrow. There are negative reviews here, but I’ve got a good relationship with them and have never faulted their work before. So when I drop it off in the morning I’ll be asking them specifically what work they do and which areas of the car will be stripped and sealed, I’m led to believe they do a very thorough job based on what they’ve told me.

I’ll be asking them to photograph and document the whole process as I want it for my own records anyway so I’ll report back as soon as possible.

1 Like

Good luck. I’m sure it will be fine if both parties are clear what work is being done.

Also good that tradespeople know you know your stuff, and are on their case frankly.

1 Like

Yeah I make sure I hold everyone to account to to be honest… If I’m paying someone to do a job I expect it done right, regardless of what I’m paying.

To the extent that last week I drove 210 miles round to buy a new car from a proper dealership. The guy told me it had been fully serviced, valeted etc… And for £15.5k I should bloody think so. Long and short of it, the oil was as black as an ■■■■ hole and the air filter was filled with leaves and dead insects… I politely told them to ■■■■ off and took my business elsewhere, on principle of them being dishonest more than anything else.

Same with MX5 parts and everywhere else I’ve ever used… I make sure I understand implicitly what I’m paying for beforehand and that they know I’ll be checking… Haven’t been wronged yet :ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Has anyone had this done in the Notts/Lincs area we are right on the border so any recommendations would be appreciated

Good luck Chris with MX5 city, there should be be no reason not to be satisfied with the outcome, I can respect a man who walks away from his new car deal when he realises he’s dealing with numptys, regardless of the groundwork he’s already put into sealing the deal. Kev.

2 Likes

Thought I’d post a quick update… I hope this picture is sufficient… 🤦

They pulled back the arch liners and on both sides found seriously massive hole, this is the worst of it.

However, the rest of the car is right as rain so they tell me this is easily addressed, cheaply… I’m not so sure :thinking:

Either way its now in for quite an extensive cancer treatment as well as the waxoyl and is spending the next couple of days there.

Its always those jobs that should be simple and straightforward that end up turning into a nightmare :persevere:

Oh dear. Brace yourself Chris. :grimacing:

Yep!

They were just as surprised by it as I was though… They’ve worked on the car several times in the past and never seen any signs of trouble.

When I dropped it off they even said ‘I don’t think we’ll have any issues with it at all, it’s in good nic from everything we’ve seen so far’…

Famous last words :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Just to add another option into the mix. I’ve always rustproofed cars myself – various classics in the past and most recently my 2006 NC. I was fortunate that I was starting with an MX5 in pretty good condition underneath, so it did make it easier this time.

I raised the car on axle stands and although it’s a struggle moving around underneath, it is do-able – I’m not exactly a youngster (60) but managed ok.

I’ve used Waxoil and Dinatrol in the past but my preferred option is Bilt Hamber’s Dynax – S50 for the box sections/cavities and UB for underneath. Comes in various sizes but I’ve used the 750ml aerosol cans. They come with a variety of nozzles, including a 600mm ‘wand’ with a 360 deg. diffuser at the end – ideal for inside all the cavities. Very easy to apply too.

Cost for mine was around £80 direct from Bilt Hamber and took a couple of days to do.

Hope this is useful to someone :smiley:

Matt

4 Likes