Undersealing at MX5 City in 2020

Thanks for sharing Chris , I have used these guys before some mechanical work and replacement bumper and they seemed ok , and was about to call them to book in for the under body treatment… now certainly not to sure … maybe I will look for somewhere else in West Yorkshire. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Oh dear, that is not good news for anyone involved,I really feel for you, your not going to be able to relax until you get the car out of there I’m afraid.
I had hoped when I warned of my experience earlier in this thread that is was a one off,
It also cost me around a grand to make my car look like a ■■■■ box.no floor mats and seat covers used there, forgot to say on top of all the shoddy work done mine looked like they’d rolled around the workshop floor and jumped straight in many times.
Paying £55 per hour for the privilege!
Good luck kev.

1 Like

Mx5 motors in Doncaster

Very sorry to hear this Chris but can’t say I’m surprised.
Hopefully you get the end result you’re hoping for but I can see you might be in for a battle.
Good luck.

So, in essence, these jokers aren’t worth a carrot ??
Do they not know that the internet exists and word travels real fast ?

1 Like

Think I have made my mind up to do this job myself in the spring.
I saw somewhere posted (thought it was here) someone used a Bilt Hamber DIY kit which he/she recommended, but can’t find/remember where that was now.
I know of the Dinitrol kits which I posted earlier.
Any helpers on that front?
Thanks. :+1:

Bilt Hamber make a range of products which seem to get good reports.
I’ve yet to try it but they do mail order on their website. HTH.
Let us know how you get on please.

1 Like

I’ll be trying them next time!

I wouldn’t bother with them either…Steve the owner used to work for mx5 city. I took my mk2.5 there for chassis rails, sills and rear arches, he had the car over 6 weeks and told me he would be keeping a photographic history of the work as it progressed but after several phone calls and finally a threat of legal intervention he did admit that he had done nothing to the car in that time. I should have noticed something was amiss when I dropped the car off at a different garage not the abandoned premises that he was advertising from.

he did my chassis rails in june , took 4 days :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:
he also took pics for me of the work ( but it did take a few txt messages to get him to forward them to me tho’ ) :man_facepalming:
and i noticed he was at different premises :thinking:

his work was ok :+1:

did he finally do your car ???

Ahh… Maybe I’ll give them a wide birth too!

It’s Saturday and you should treat your self to a nice bottle of wine :wine_glass: or a few beers :beers: and forget about it for a few days. Hopefully it will all come out in the wash as they say. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can’t relax, too stressed about it all!

As Arnie says “Do it and do it now”!:slightly_smiling_face::+1::wink:

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your woes. I realise you have already had a lot of advice but if they haven’t cleaned up the car and rectified the faults shown in your photographs I would get a quote from a professional detailer for cleaning up the seats and overspray on the car bodywork/wheels etc and request a refund from MX5 city accordingly. Even so I think that £750 + VAT is extortionate. I had my car undersealed by “carrusttreatment.co.uk” who charged about £400 about 18 months ago. It wasn’t perfect and as a result I got a partial refund. Considering you have been a loyal customer I think that you have been very shoddily treated. I do hope that they rectify the mess they have made and rectify the paint chips and side skirt issues. If not I would ask for a massive discount. Do they know that you are in the MX5OC. If not inform them and let them know that there is considerable interest in the club as to how they satisfactorily bring this to a conclusion.

Wow, I was thinking I’d been a little harsh in them but it seems that my experience wasn’t a one-off.

I’m guessing that as you know them they weren’t quite as dismissive as they were when I raised my concerns. I doubt they bother reading the forum so will be blissfully unaware that they are getting such a poor reputation.

Scroll up a bit, I posted about Dynax and doing it yourself - the way to go IMO.

1 Like

MX5city list undersealing for £350. I assume the additional work was for the “cancer treat” (rust repairs) that the OP referred to…

Where the paint had chipped off, the metal appears to be rusted, so the paint was loose.The way its not bubbled, I think it might have been repainted before straight onto rust.

Tell you what, I’ve never been more put off by all of these reports on MX5 City, safe to say they won’t be getting my business for underbody treatment. If everywhere is so bad… where do we go to get our MX5’s rustproofed underneath? I definitely do not have the skill required to do it myself - let alone the fact my driveway is gravel… not a great place to jack a car from… Has anyone used the MX5 Restorer? Are they any good?