What do you drive. Not mx5

Sounds like a plan thanks :+1:

Yes, it is very useful, it’s my 5th Defender and 7th Land Rover as I had a couple of series models before that. The view is beside Wastwater in the lakes, we go there a couple of times a year hence the Landy for all our walking gear, and sometimes bikes. hope to be there in September, I’ll be surprised. :pensive:

2 Likes

1999 Yamaha XJ600N - a great alternative!

1 Like

I drive a 1972 Triumph TR6 that’s in excellent condition, modified with triple DCOE 45 Webber carbs, runs lead free etc. I have had TRs since 1976. I also ride a Harley if it’s sunny and the wife doesn’t want to come out and play.

Bill
Wessex Group

The white 5 series is mine, the black 2 is my wife’s, my choice is to leave them be and take my mk3, or the bike !!

1 Like

Do I call you My Leige ???

Only if you’re dyslexic :wink:

1 Like

This…
Specifically a Stelvio 2.2D Milano Editione.

3 Likes

Nice.
Everything always sounds better in either Italian or French?
“Milan Edition Diesel” just would not cut it!
EG Maserati Quattroporte. Fab. Maser 4 door saloon? Nah!

1 Like

Silly grin machine. I’ve no idea whether our newly acquired NB will match it in fun factor (opinions welcome!)

4 Likes

My Auris hybrid daily (I do a lot of miles for work) and my Mrs Mondeo Ecoboost are currently our only other cars to the MX5 which is kept mainly for trackdays, and a bit of summer usage. The Mondeo will be going fairly soon as neither of us have really used it much and I’m looking at W204 C63s as a replacement to scratch the V8 itch hehe.

A Kia Sportage in metallic orange.

I had a go at a C63s at Mercedes world. Absolutely phenominal car and they even teach you how to drift there.

Well worth checking out the place.

1 Like

I have been to Brooklands a few times as I have owned a number of Smart cars previously (and they do a big summer show there), totally agree it is such a brilliant day out. Although I haven’t done their driving AMG experiences a number of friends have said they are amazing. Ironically the only thing I drove around their handling circuit was a preprod Smart EV … hardly dynamic haha!

Different horses for different days. There’s 2 cars that have made me go ‘"Wow… wonderful’.
An almost new 205GTI 1.6 that I rented for 10 days in the '80’s. ( the other was a 911 ).
Thinking back to then, I’d say the 205 is more urgent than the MX5, power is immediately there, without having to go through all the 16V thing of plenty of revs. But then, the roof goes down on the MX5.

2 Likes

I had a Pug 205 GTI 1.9l from 1989 new until 1990. Great little car, would probably still have it but for the fact that it was written off when I was rear-ended whilst stationary at a junction by a phone-using Transit driver! One thing, although it did have PAS after a long journey on anything other than motorways I always felt the effects in the neck and shoulders, no doubt due to it being front wheel drive! In the dry is stuck like glue, in the wet I did have a few “brown trouser” moments. The ND is much better in that respect as it does give you plenty of warning.

Funnily enough I started out in the would of “interesting” cars with an early 911, because at the time it cost about half as much as a second-hand MX5 NA. Loved the sweet revvy 2.0l engine, its poise on the road, and how well screwed together they are. I was surprised to find that driving a 1.5 ND reminded me so much of that old 911.

I took truffle’s point to heart today and made a point of keeping the revs up when driving the NB; that has certainly increased the fun factor - thanks!

When was that?

Back in 1997, I was looking at Mk1 MX5s. Local Mazda dealers wanted about £10k for a 1990 car, but you could get a 1992 Eunos Roadster, with extras, for £8k. At the time, I was wanting to get rid of a 309 Gti, which I hated. I was choosing from a new Honda Civic “Tornado”, a early 90 Jap spec CRX, blinged V-Special, ex-track mariner blue Roadster, a TR6 that had just received a full restoration, and silver Eunos Roadster, all for much the same money. I went for the silver car.

Should I have brought the £9k TR6 though?

I had a 1.6gti and it was fun to drive but the experience is totally different…5 lower to ground and like a gocart…205 spinning on front wheels back end having to be pushed using the handbrake lol