What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Recently fitted Verus Engineering hood louvres

4 Likes

Prepping my inner wing and topping up the underseal in readiness for the arrival of a new wing.

5 Likes

I was about to give the NC a wash and its annual ceramic wax today in preparation for its upcoming service and MOT.

I opened the garage door and thought, ā€œLooks good; the sun has gone in, itā€™s cool and the wind dropped, perfect.ā€

Then SPLATTTO!!

Something dropped about a cupful of chalky white sticky gritty liquid almost like plaster-of-paris from a great height, spread out like a shotgun blast such that it completely covered the spot where the NC would have been a minute later. Perfect aim, just jumped the gun a bit.

I closed the garage door. If unusual heavy traffic like this is passing overhead today, Iā€™ll wait for another time on another day.

Iā€™ve just spent half an hour cleaning the incidental peripheral splatter off the Mazda3 five metres away, less than a tenth of the full load, but still enough to cover half the car. Thank goodness the water-budt is full of soft calc-free water for final rinsing so I donā€™t need to dry it off as well.

Iā€™ve no idea what the bird was, but it must have been a big one. Heron?

1 Like

Canā€™t thank you enough for not sharing pictures. :wink:

8 Likes

Maybe it was a Pterodactyl?

1 Like

Absolutely not! Too much info for anyone, regardless of their hardiness and strength of mind.

My first thought was some mischievous kid with a wet-flour bomb, but that would never achieve such effective saturation coverage, more like a fragmentation bombā€¦

My next thought was to get it off the soft soul-red paint of the Mazda3.

Fortunately it has been raining steadily here and no traces remain on car or concrete.

Now that would have been worth a pictureā€¦ :grinning:

so rock and roll

went shopping

needed plate bulb and bought new wipers

spin to give rack to friend tomorrow

Switched the ā€œDelrinā€ door bush on the drivers side back to stock.

Bought cheap bushes that look like 3D printed. Definitely sharpened up the door fit and reduced any door movement when driving, but drivers side brought a squeak. Tried everything around front suspension until I switched back to stock bush and itā€™s gone. Delrin back on, squeak back. So once more back to stock.

At least I didnā€™t pay Ā£50 that some want to charge. If it wasnā€™t for the squeak I would recommend them at Ā£13. Might try some silicon on it to see if I can get rid of the squeak.

1 Like

Ordered a replacement battery for carā€¦Ā£64 I canā€™t afford but cheaper than Ā£90 Halfords wanted for the same. Lol. Also wish the rain would do one so I can do some fun stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Swop sides see if it makes a diffrence

1 Like

Daxss,
If you havenā€™t committed yet try TFM if there is a branch local to you. Got my new battery for Ā£43 from there a few months ago. It was an 063, thatā€™s standard for most 1800 Mx5ā€™s I believe. They have now dropped to Ā£40.50

1 Like

Typical, however I had looked on Euro as well as carparts4less and there were a couple that were around that price with discounts etc (including the Lucas). Iā€™ve purchased the yuasa hbs063 which was recommended to me :slight_smile: but thank you :slight_smile:

Weather is turning a bit damp now so put a couple of trays of cat litter in it. One in the boot & the other in the passenger foot well. Keeps everything nice & dry. Just have to remember to not do any spirited cornering otherwise end up with a boot full of spilt cat litter.

2 Likes

Fitted one of @Roadieā€™s ND Red LED Boot Lid Strips:

4 Likes

Fitted LED bulbs in my foglights to convert them to DRLs

2 Likes

Is that legal? Irrespective of the type of bulbs fitted, surely they will still be classed as fog lights. Itā€™s not legal to use them unless the visibility is seriously reduced.

To keep the answer relatively short the answer is No they are not illegal. Normal fog lights have bright bulbs which when first introduced were dazzling when used in standard conditions. (Hence why you could be committing an offence using them in normal conditions). LED bulbs ā€œapparentlyā€ are not so. Front fog lights are not a legal requirement in the UK. Therefore, if you convert them from fog lights to DRLā€™s then thatā€™s fine. For instance the modern cars have DRLā€™s fitted as standard with no impact on other road users. Happy to be proved wrong but that has always been my understanding. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m willing to take the risk if it stops someone pulling out on me - the low frontal area and height of the MX5 makes it looks further away than it really is, so extra road presence has to be a good thing.

They are similar to the brightness of DRLs, so my conscience is clear about dazzle.

I wonā€™t use them at night and DRLs are so commonplace now that I canā€™t see me getting pulled for it.

DRL conversions from fogs to DRLs for MX5s are also commonplace

Agree with you entirely and to reiterate they are not illegal :+1:

1 Like