What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Ah, well if the brake fluid has damaged the servo then maybe. I was more trying to point out that the servo by design has no fluid in it so the leak will be from the master cylinder rather than the servo. Are you confident that the fluid hasn’t dripped down from above? Running out of the reservoir cap for example if someone has laid it down upside down.

That is not something I have thought of, a bit nervous of giving it a road test to find out, but it might be worth a shot, thanks for the suggestion :sunglasses::+1:

There you go well done Robbie that would appear to be the culprit, had the pads and fluids changed a couple of months ago, and checked the fluid with cap off before competing at Prescott and Llandow in the last couple of weeks, huge sigh of relief here. Will keep an eye on it Incase it is more than spillage, competing at Lydden in a couple of weeks :sunglasses::+1:

Been busy re-doing all these trim pieces the past two days. The fake Alcantara looked a bit purple/blue hue is bright sunshine so I bought a roll of Milano material which is so much easier to work with, looks and feels like Alcantara but not as expensive, tho’ dear enough !!

5 Likes

That is superb.

I could be tempted to try that on the binnacle cover so it doesn’t reflect in the windscreen.

Snag; I’d then have to do the rest…

The big question: Does it fade in the sunshine?

1 Like

I have the instrument covered in real Alcantara, done professionally. As for fade, Milano is used extensively in the auto world by trimmers, so although I can’t give you a definite answer, I wouldn’t expect it to suffer fade as it’s widely used in the trade. This all started after I got the binnacle covered…I asked for a price to get these pieces done and nearly had a stroke !!

1 Like

Finally managed to detail the car ready for a show this weekend. Out of the garage washed, back in, it rained. Back out to detail, back in it rained and so on.
Now it’s looking iffy weather wise tomorrow :weary:

2 Likes

We’ve all been there….:see_no_evil:

1 Like

Finally got my new mohair soft top fitted

First time with a soft top since I removed my damaged one when I bought it 2 years ago

14 Likes

Looks great :ok_hand:

Hi guys fitted my new gear knob

6 Likes

Wahey, these finally arrived, need some much needed tlc and restoration

Here are some photos

3 Likes

how do you actually do that?

With the right stuff it’s not that hard actually. It was easier this time round due to A, having done it all before and B, better material. Patience and the best spray adhesive also helps, especially the sticky stuff !

so basically its glued on? looks a really neat job that.

Yep, this is the adhesive I use. It’s great as you can peel back and re-stick if you get a crease a few times until you get it right.

Preparation is also important…I key the plastic with scotchbrite and clean the surface with brake cleaner to degrease it. Then spray the material with 3 coats, spray the plastic once, leave for 30 seconds then start applying the material.

3 Likes

Thanks dude :+1:

In an effort to fend off the rust and make my life easier in years to come, I spent the weekend spraying all the untreated areas with Dinitrol.
Before

After

6 Likes

My first mod on my NC but a fairly big one. I’ve had a BBR Super 185 kit fitted with a Grand Tourer silencer.

I’m glad i went for the Grand Tourer option. When you are taking it easy it just has a bassy rumble with a few pops but when you put your foot down you still get a bit of a race track wail.

Performance isn’t hugely improved, it just seems more eager through the rev range and the rev limit is higher. It might be a lot faster at high revs but i haven’t had the chance to try it yet

5 Likes