What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Quite right. Part of the catalyst warm up strategy.

Mazda’s Technical Guide calls it “ENGINE START FEELING ENHANCEMENT”

And describes it:

“When the push start button is pressed and the engine completes combustion, the engine revs up suddenly to enhance the feeling of the engine start-up.”

The higher idle speed during warm up is to help get the engine warm quicker and meet emission regulations.

3 Likes

Yes not bothered about the initial cold start sound. It’s the blip that @Roadster_Robbie has eluded to that isn’t necessary

1 Like

All your points are duly noted, But I had my MX5 NC lowered 30mm and the steering felt better than at Mazda specification…

I got the horns to work just before i sent them back. Actually, instead of being grounded through the back mounting nut (as the previous pair were) the ground was the second spade end connector (the previous pair had 2 that were common positive). So, sounding good and loud again now.

1 Like

If you start an ND in Reverse, then it doesn’t do the fast-rev start-up. Handy if you need to get a quiet getaway :laughing:

3 Likes

After you change your springs or coilovers and the car rests at a lower ride height, you have to do a re-alignment otherwise the wheels will not be at the correct (intended) geometry.
This is the essence of what I said earlier

1 Like

Yes indeed. I noted what you said on that occasion… However, someone did mention that With the MX5 geometry It usually gets away with this !
As the amount ( where it matters ) is so infinitesimal, that Having it adjusted By someone ‘ other ‘ than an expert, Can sometimes fail to
Correct the tiny adjustment…. I don’t know about such things I’m just
Reciting what someone had said to me after I had my car lowered ! I have checked it out. No undue tyre wear and the car drives straight … feeling as it should… etc
Anyway. Thanks for your reply, duly noted… best regards from Ray Hill
Essex branch north Thames …. :+1:

To get the oil around to all the top end parts as quickly as possible ? Maybe.
just a guess from me.
One could say. The exact opposite ! “” why rev an engine before the oil has got around the top parts “.Etc…. I don’t know !
But I imagine that the oil gets around very quickly indeed If the oil pressure light is anything to go by …. So it’s all swings and roundabouts …

Of course It could be That the air fuel mixture is temporarily changed as with the “ choke “ setting with older cars… my wife used to hang her handbag on the chock lever and wondered why the car sputtered to a stop 3 miles later…

I’ve got to stand up for @anon35904086 here.

I was disappointed to read a couple of the responses to your post, reading through it as a neutral I just saw you offering some advise on a potential issue. Nowt wrong there, that’s what a community forum is for isn’t it?

For what its worth, should you ever spot something that may be an issue on one of my posts (as in-frequently as I make them), I’ll be very happy to hear from you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just fitted new upper/lower shift boots courtesy of MX5 parts, as well as replaced the gearbox oil with RedLine from BOFI. The old gearbox oil was dark brown so it was definitely due a change.

Worryingly, there was no oil in the shifter turret, so I whacked about 100ml of redline gear oil in the turret before sealing it off.

1 Like

Taking advantage of the fine weather and giving the front of my NC some love.
As many will know, the headlights can take some bashing from the roads and UV. Mine were no exception.
Yellowing and quite hazy so bumper off and using Holts repair kit.

Before

During

After

Can be quite unnerving doing it but with patience and time, I think the results speak for themselves

9 Likes

Good recovery on those.
They look like new👍

2 Likes

Yes, thanks, they do. Well pleased. Took the opportunity to change all the bulbs too as getting to the bulbs on these NC’s is a pig.

2 Likes

Been there and done that🙈

1 Like

Sparkling result.
Great job well done :+1:

1 Like

If you spray them with 2k lacquer it will help protect the finish against uv.

1 Like

Yep, done that :+1:t2:

1 Like

Drivers side skirt removed on Sport Black to see how it looks for rust after 11 years on the road.
Not too bad…
I bought replacement clips, prior to removal, from Vehicle Clips.
Less than a fiver for 20!
The skirt bracket on left hand side of drivers door sheared (glued back on) but all the clips were intact.

Passenger side tomorrow👍

4 Likes

Yeah mine pretty much went the same way on one skirt on the NC1, a broken bracket which i glued back.:+1: