What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

I believe actually from or near the beach at Hastings, and has the product name southern gold.

I stand corrected. Your wife has excellent taste.

I re-sealed the scuttle grommets on my 10-plate NC, yesterday, with silicon sealant. Today, I took the glovebox out and shoved my hand up there to have a feel of my handiwork.

When I took the glove box out I found the following items behind the centre console:

• Gym membership application/direct debit form

• Ibuprofen gel - expired 2014

• Empty milk chocolate Bounty wrapper - best before 2018

• Empty Scampi Fries packet

Using my Sherlock skills, I can deduce the previous owner had poor taste in Chocolate - a Bounty should always be the Dark chocolate variety.

They might have been a bit tubby and had painful joints. The 2021 gym memebership indicates a possible desire to change their lifestyle.

All of this is supposition and conjecture on my part and has no basis in fact.

Anyway, the gym memebership direct debit form has the previous owners full name and address on it - I have strategically placed the empty wrappers and over the details to protect their identity. The address on the direct debit is in North London - about 2 miles away from me.

Why has this tickled me? I travelled all the way to Notts and back, twice, to buy that car…a round trip of 250 miles, each time.

The form has the guy’s email on it, I considered dropping him a line but then thought better of it. I mean, what would I say? “Hello, you don’t know me but I bought your old car.”?

4 Likes

Bountys are still 60p today, would you believe that, inflation.:crazy_face:

Sadly not. This particular wrapper was from a 2017/2018 bar. Pre-covid prices

:rofl:
Never Found Stuff in Second Hand Cars …But Did Find a Screwed Up Newspaper dated October, 1953 [Five Years Before I Was Born] in an Air Vent in the Bungalow I Now Rent just B4 COVID

[Apologies…Going Off Thread…Excited as All My Autoglym Products Arriving Today/Tomorrow & Bullit is Going to Get the Clean of Her Life]

1 Like

Please do before and after photos to share with us.

Will Try…I’ve Got a Modern Phone & Laptop Now …So How Hard Can It Be :face_with_spiral_eyes:
No Excuses :cold_sweat:

[Don’t Answer That …Appreciate the Encouragement From Members :+1:]

:crossed_fingers:

Started My New Project :wink:

Lots of work to do to get it Right at least this time I can still use the car… :grin:

1 Like

Interesting project. Eager to see more. :+1:

1 Like

Project thread on my modding page thanks for taking the time to look

Bought the car this time last week (2002 mk2.5 Arizona), and ordered some parts to get me started…

Today, I took delivery of and fitted a K&N typhoon kit, tonneau cover (the inside of the roof is quite tatty looking and spoils it for me, so this covers it), strut brace (not tightened up yet), door bushings and removed and blanked off the sun visors.

Destroyed the top suspension studs trying to undo them at the weekend in advance of the strut brace getting delivered. Rounded them even with while using a 6 sided socket, so bought a stud remover kit, plus a bigger socket to go over the stud remover to give me more clearance and managed to rip them out - had a blowtorch on standby just in case I had to used heat too, but didn’t need to use it.

Fortunately mx5parts had 10% off at the weekend, so ordered 4 replacement studs on Sunday - I am now impatiently waiting for the studs to get delivered (fingers crossed they come tomorrow).

Chris

2 Likes

Rudely disturbed at 5pm with a blaring horn. Initial reaction was another Jaguar electrical crisis. But no, it was SAZ9961, with the horn locked on (no alarm in this car).

After 10+ years, a short has developed in the short wire in the hub. Hot weather caused some sort of expansion. As for doing anything about it, that amounted to pulling the earth lead, and leave it to the weekend

3 Likes

Arrived today and fitted this evening. My new Royal Sterring Wheel.

Really, really please. it looks and feels fantastic.

I have given a bit more of a write up here:

9 Likes

Wow that looks amazing :heart_eyes:

Work In Progress [Be Very, Very Patient] as Part Disabled & Not Very IT Literate

Fired Up My Digi Camera & Hopefully Took Some ‘Before’ Pics of Soft Top [Marks] & Scratches on Paintwork & Dirt on Foot Mats :crossed_fingers:

Flung Some Water on the Soft Top…Clear Evidence That It’s Still Sealed …Lots of Surface Bubbles :smiley:
Used the Autoglym Hi-Foam Interior Shampoo on the Floor Mats …OK…But they are 17 yrs Old

More Important to Me Was to Test the Autoglym Paint Renovator [aka ‘Posh T-Cut’]on the Boot Lid as some Youths Thought Bullits’ Boot was the Right Height to Roll Their Cigarettes on…Loads of Tiny Scratches
Followed By Autoglym Super Resin Polish

I THINK IT MADE A DIFFERENCE :joy:

Equally Vital was she Started After 18 Days in ‘Dry Dock’ in the Garage [In Queue for Welding]…likkle bit of help from Solar Panel :thinking:

Just When I Start Getting Overwhelmed with Life, The Universe & Everything & Believe I’ll Have to Give My Girl Up

Good Things Happen Like Autoglym & Club Membership Support :clap: :+1:

Bit Emotional With Relief :smiling_face_with_tear:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Cost of Living Crisis/Putin et al

My Girl & I During Our 15 yr Relationship Have Experienced Worse :facepunch: :fist:

3 Likes

Autoglym Paint Renovator appears smoother than T-Cut which would make you think it would be less effective. I’ve found the opposite. Like you I follow up with the Super Resin Polish but it’s hardly needed. While T-Cut leaves paint looking a little the worse for wear the Autoglym Paint Renovator gives a nice shiny finish.

Please think long and hard before giving up your MX-5. It’s probably done with depreciation now. They don’t cost that much to keep for an occasional top down run. Things may be a little tough at the moment on lots of fronts but having an MX-5 ready and waiting to help clear your head if you need it is a nice thing to have.

Once it’s gone it’s gone, you might regret it. You obviously still love it.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Nothing better than to free your mind with the top down on a sunny day.
I’ve solved loads of things while doing this and the world isn’t that bad after all.
Putin who………:laughing:

6 Likes

Wong Volvo. You were thinking of the Amazon. This car was at last year’s national Rally.

“Fixed”

Years of twirling, but not opposite lock enough

Nardi plastic part is a bit broken. Not sure if its available as a spare

Examination of the parts showed small slit in wire where it had rubbed on the boss

Now I thought just get a couple of spade connectors and some wire, and that would be it. But I was scupped by this strange Nardi connector. Its like a rotating spade connector

What the deuce. Now I couldn’t cut off the connect and trim the part to take a female spade connector, because I assume this riveted part was used because the steering wheel is turned and a normal spade connector will just fall off.

So “fixed” with shrink wrap.

3 Likes