Where have you been in your MX-5 today?

Trip to the local scrap yard as they had a couple of 5’s in. Mostly robbed but did pick up a pair of JDM fog lights.

Quick blast on local roads today to check everything good after DIY service and clean / recharge of K&N filter.  Ran sweeeeet Laughing.

Run out with NW region into Yorkshire Dales tomorrow & sun’s gonna shine LaughingLaughing

MOT due later next week … we’ll see Undecided

Stratford upon Avon, got there early, absolutely packed by lunchtime, really hot as well, PH

As mine is a daily drive and the winter takes it’s toll, decided to give it a little clean then took it out for an evening spin to the cliff top.

1 Like

just cruised Worcestershire, fantastic driving weather. Didn’t even bother washing the 5 before cos the sun was out & the road was waiting…Cool

Yesterday not today, — went from home in CO Durham, to Glasgow for Commonwealth games orientation training, then back, but instead of taking the main road back we spent a few hours trying out some of the wee hill roads around the Southern Uplands :slight_smile:

Had a trip out to here this week after lunch in Bakewell and then took a few pics looking over the Hope valley.

nice car looking at a nice view…

Went out for a drive and called into body shop to see how work was going on on a members car.

The A684 Sedburgh to Layburn and down to Ripon.

Sun out, top down, no traffic, tight twisting dales road, perfect.Laughing

Drive this road before the shedders get to it at Easter, it was built for the MX5.

I’ve had a fun packed few days driving my 5 around the deserted A,B and C roads of Sussex and Hants these last few days. Roof down, ‘All along the watchtower’ on tap. I’ve covered around 350miles over several top-down days out and we didn’t miss a beat. I’m now well used to the potential of my tyres, i’m always well within their tolerances when cornering and i’ve developed a sort of affinity with my car. It isn’t a perfect car but it’s a perfect Mk3 MX5 and that’s part of the fun of it. I’d really like it to have more torque and sometimes find myself envious of Porsche’s and Audi RS3’s. In a few days, a friend who normally drives a Mclaren, Aston Martin type of car, is going to take me out in my car to show me where it’s real potential lies. I’m sure i’m still not anywhere near it’s limits but how far can it go? 

While larking about the lanes, I was wondering how 5 owners who have altered their suspension componentry, fare with the cavernous gaping gullies and bomb craters which have appeared on our already awful roads. I’m a fairly good and keen driver who has spent time learning the unmystic arts of Advanced Driving, courtesy of the IAM, RoSPA/RoADAR and members of the AD community and even I find it tricky to safely avoid some of the missing and tyre-gashingly jagged bits of road. Every puddle could hide potentially geometry changing status beneath it’s calm surface. Has anyone put in a claim against a local authority for damage to the car as a result of encountering one of these ‘potholes’? I see the claim floodgates opening and letters being written to the ‘Ask John’ (or whatever it’s called) writer of the Daily Mail about this. 

As an aside, I recently drove my neighbour’s newly acquired VW Corrado VR6 ‘Storm’ Ltd. Ed. (with cream leather interior and everything). For a 20 year old car, it went like a dream and sounded soooo much better than my adenoidal MX5 NC. The obvious reminder of the VW’s age and heritage, was that it didn’t handle like a dream even with it’s 55mph auto rear spoiler in it’s elevated ‘action’ position. Infact it handled like a 1980s car which was still being made in 1995. Back then, messing with the suspension, hi-fi, wheels etc was de rigeur and it’s a testament to it’s former owner that this one remained as standard as the day it was born or was it Bonn? Standard except for the 1990’s 10-disc CD changer taking up 1/3rd of the boot, that is. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YR5HvPGsGQ

What all of this meant, was that although the 2.9lt DOHC engine was easily upto scratch and sang like a bird in 3rd gear upwards of 5…6,000rpm, the evolution of stiffened suspension hadn’t yet reached VW HQ and it took bends much like my Mum’s old Allegro, which was without a cream leather interior and made long before CD’s were though of. So in many ways, although it’s not as ‘fast’ as i’d like it to be, my MX5 is fine as it is. There are often times when me and the chassis of the car could handle loads more than the engine can provide and that’s probably my next car i’m talking about. 

So still enjoying my car and driving all over the gaff because it’s fun to do. 

Thanks, Kimosabe

Well Sunday it was a club drive to Stourhead (Warminster), which took in Dorset and Wiltshire country roads, which is ideal. Winter has taken its toll though and there is some serious road damage out there.

Well I took the ruby red lady from Buxton to Earsport at Macclesfield via the A54 what a road made for the 5 !! I had a pair of Yokohama Parada spec 2’s fitted to the rear, front still have 4/5 mm then a full laser wheel alignment and they are posting the other 2 tyres to my home all for a grand total of £220 now is that a bargain or whatLaughing then of course back on to the A54 for the return to Buxton to collect the proper lady from the hotel we been in for past 3 days then drive back home top down all the way sunshine too what a day Cool

2 Likes

Bit of top down driving to check out some of the roads for the club drive on Sunday.

To the garage! Just about to blow the dust off following a few days away when I realised the MOT was past due…Getting it serviced at the same time. Found out some time ago getting the garage to service the car prior to the mot invariably gave it a pass on emissions, lights etc.

A pass and no advisories, though the plugs were changed on schedule (ouch). Now to get in some serious me time…

nowhere… but… the sun is shining bright so I’m off…zoom zoom & toodleoo. have a good weekend

Just been up Box Hill and down the Zig-zag. Wasn’t going anywhere - just fancied a top-down drive in the sunshine.

Great to know you can still just go out and enjoy a drive !

Top down drive up the Fosse Way to Bruntingthorpe to meet the Buccaneers and some friends old and new.Buccaneer

Bucaneerhttp://s1096.photobucket.com/user/TBOK2/media/Buccaneers042_zpsbc13c0ba.jpg.html

Love the picture ! Nice car and good to see a Buccaneer again. I grew up watching the RAE trials ones from West Freugh and eventually got to spend a short time working on them as a Student back in 1986. Scary to think that was nearly 30 years ago.