5th & now 6th (🙈) MX5 & the beginnings of a Rocketeer build

A spot of inspiration :+1:

4 Likes

I happened to just see that elsewhere!

It sounds splendid! Now lets hope I can get it finished whilst we still have some summer evenings left!

2 Likes

So you bolted the Lotus seats straight to the car? Or straight to the x5 seat rails?

I made a basic four sided mount bolted to the original mounting points, then was able to bolt the original Elise seat mount straight to that. This got it down nice & low and was rock solid.

2 Likes

Fabulous!

The seats are doing tyo take 8-10 weeks to arrive, so ive got a bit of time to work out what i’m going to do.

Hi guys,

Not a Rocketeer update, but if anyone is after a 2010 NC, mine is up for sale :frowning:

It has to be sold unfortunately, i’d love to keep it but alas it is being replaced by a 2.0 TDI, 7 Seater, Skoda. True story. (It’s actually a very good car ;))

1 Like

It’s probably too cheap? Obviously not seen your car but…………

Barrie

2 Likes

I thought that but maybe it’s reflecting the highish mileage

2 Likes

Thanks guys - I thought it was quite a fair price. It’s not perfect, but is certainly a good car.

1 Like

Allegedly, prices are on the rise…

1 Like

Hi guys - quick question regarding Subframe bolts.

My drivers side, front subframe, rear (stay with me…) bolt is spinning in its hole. It definitely used to tighten, so either the bolt thread is damaged or the hole thread is damaged (obvs!). I’m going to order a replacement bolt if I can find one, on the off chance it is that but i’m guessing the likelihood is that it is the hole itself.

I tapped the holes on my new subframe for the steering rack mounts, so I have experience of doing it before - however the front subframe is pretty much key to this whole conversion and I don’t want to mess sorting this hole up.

In order to get a bolt to tighten, i’m guessing i’m going to have to go up a hole size - is that going to cause any issues?

Andrew

1 Like

Hi Andrew, you’re busy as usual! Isn’t the front subframe new, as supplied in the kit? Would it be worth having a chat with Rocketeer? Not familiar with the subframe design but has it got a captive nut for the bolt to go into rather than a threaded hole :thinking: if so, it may have come adrift inside the frame. Just a thought and I’m probably way off the mark here :nerd_face:

Barrie

1 Like

haha I knew i’d written that in a confusing way! Sorry Barrie :slight_smile:

The rear front subframe bolts pass through the subframe holes and then screw in to the end of the chassis legs of the car - its the holes in the car that I think are damaged, not the subframe itself.

Someone on the Rocketeer FB group suggested helicoiling the hole - I have no experience of this.

1 Like

Helicoils are excellent, provided you use the special tap to cut the enlarged thread for the insert. Usually you get a suitable tap supplied with the pack of inserts.

Also be aware if the bolt will go in further than the depth of the insert, because there is a break-off tang used to screw them in. If this is not clean at the pre-machined fracture-point it can grab the bolt. Always recover the tang!

I’ve repaired threads with them for longer than I can remember, anything from alloy crank cases and gearboxes on bikes, exhaust manifolds and head blocks on cars, to video and film cameras!

2 Likes

Ah right! :+1::+1: I’d go with Helicoil as Richard recommends if cleaning the thread in the chassis rail doesn’t work. Whilst no previous experience of this type of repair myself, it’s been around for ever. Good luck! :nerd_face:

Barrie

1 Like

Ate you sure you’re using the correct bolts?
Could the subframe be thicker, so the bolts aren’t reaching the thread??

3 Likes

Yep, definitely the correct bolts - or at least, they are the original ones from my car.

I’ve just cleaned it up and taken a picture - it’s knackered.

I thought these were supposed to be M12’s but measuring the MD, it looks like it’s M10

Imgur

1 Like

It looks to be like it’s been welded almost, but i’m guessing that’s either just the thread being damaged or someone in the past has used some sort of thread locker. :man_shrugging:

A Helicoil is needed.
You’ll grow to love them as much as I do!

The metal clogging the thread on that bolt is stolen from the nut welded on the car, so nothing’s left there.

Double check the sizes and thread pitch.

1 Like

The thread in the chassis rail actually looks ok, but what you said makes total sense, it’ll have taken metal out of that thread which is why the nut now spins. I’ve ordered some new bolts and i’ll get a helicoil kit ordered too!

Thank you for all your help, very much appreciated :slight_smile: