Fog Lamps to "DRL"

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2006 Sport
  2. I’m based near: __High Wycombe
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Hi All

I saw a thread about the fog lamps coming on with the ignition, had a wiring diagram I think. Cannot find it, does anyone have any pointers please.

I just turn my lights on, front fogs left on during the day but I usually switch them off at night.

2 Likes

Fog lights should not be switched on during the day , they are not DRL , you will get a curly finger from a traffic cop at some point.

OP , why?
M-m

The link below shows a fitment of DRL’s, not the fog lamp type but gives you a good idea what else can be done.
Tha car in the video is now my car, don’t ask how they were fitted as the previous owner fitted them, Bally (Geoff) on this forum.:+1:

Because my Galaxy Grey car appears to have and invisibility cloak to drivers at side junctions even with the side lights on. My intention is to replace the bulbs with LED’s and use them as an extra precaution with the side lights.

5 Likes

I can recommend the Vinstar DRL+Fog kit from MX5 Parts. Here is how I fitted my set.

3 Likes

Fit DRL with fogs as a full unit, I hear the issue and have hit regular in the 30od years with these and to be honest it was the same with the MG’s and triumphs before that…
We have fitted DRL and fogs in one unit and a compact twin ai rhorn, that works.
M-m

Me too, although i have non- focussed LEDs fitted which have the effect of converting the foglights to DRLs.
I have never found foglights to be of any use and never use them.
I use the DRLs all the time in daylight - they make the car much more visible

2 Likes

I have the same fitted and used your guide to help, it went well . :slight_smile:

If you go the DIY route and replace the fog-lamp bulbs with LEDs, don’t bother with the eBay cheapies; they’ll progressively fail after a few months. I use (and I think 999to5 does too) these : https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes - Cree bulbs from Autobulb Direct.
With the standard mod of adding a relay in the fusebox to activate them when the ignition is on and turn off when headlights come on, the fog-light tell-tale on the dash will come on too. Even though DRLs or front foglights aren’t an MOT requirement for an NC, an examiner spent an age fiddling with the light switches on mine to determine when the DRLs and the tell-tale came on and gave me an advisory on the telltale at the end of it. The moral - Unplug the wire from the relay before the MOT :smile:
What I think is not quite in line with this mod and normal DRL operation is that the DRLs will be on with the side-lights. Which is actually good as you can have front and rear sides on with the DRLs to give extra visibility in gloomy weather when it’s not dim enough to go to headlights.

Going back to the OP’s original question, this may be the thread : Cheap Daytime Running Lights (DRL) fitting on NC

3 Likes

I’ll work on a kit for the MK 3’s, we made one for the MK 2.5’s which are DRL and fog light units which don’t get a curly finger , i’ll find some owners close by to work out a kit.
M-m

4 Likes

For future info, the Angel eye part of 64mm ebay Angel eye fog lamps unscrews and the projector lense comes out.
If one breaks/ dismantles an old halogen bulb, the flat glass lense is an exact replacement size in the projector lense aperture.
You can then screw the Angel eye back on to hold the lense in place.
It does not however diffuse the light from the COB chip as well as the projector lense.

Angel eye and foglamp COB wired together with household LED lense

3 Likes

MX5 Parts sell units that add DRLs around the foglamp that they say “simply replace the existing lamps” but they aren’t exactly the same size as the original units and the instructions in the pack itself tell you to cut the front bumper. Not for me.

1 Like

I didn’t have fog lamps, so removed the blanks and cut holes that the cheapo led fog lamps fitted into.

Where they from mate?

1 Like

I got them from eBay

1 Like

What size did buy to fit the fog light aperture?
Do they operate independently (from the fog switch) or are they wired so they come on with the ignition?
Sorry for the questions, I like the look of them, may get a set👍
Thanks

Curiosity killed the cat…
Are you thinking of replacing your fog lights for those?
I have the 3.75 too and I just put LED bulbs in the fog lights which you can do legally.
(It’s the head lights that are an MOT instant fail).
Also have LED’s in the sidelights and just use both as DRL’s which works very well.
A few others have done the same on here too. :+1:

1 Like

Are yours fully wired in (on/off with ignition headlights etc) or operate just from the fog switch?

My car has DRL’s which work ok and are incorporated into the indicator bulb, they aren’t wired to cut out when the headlights come on though.
At MOT time last year I pulled the fuse to them to save any hassle about legality around them. Pre MOT I asked the tester, in fact two testers got involved (it was like ask a simple question and confusion broke out) if the the bulbs I had fitted passed the test as they were obviously LEDs. When I mentioned they act like DRL’s one tester said then they should work as standard equipment because they are fitted at factory, MOT failure if they don’t.
Anyways long story short he didn’t realise at the time my car never came fitted with DRL as standard, his manual showed the ND did from manufacture. The other tester was pretty cool about it all, he just said pull the fuse to disable them and I’ll do the test, the bulbs are fine and work as they should.

So I’m looking to fit a set which pass MOT regs, or at least something that works at the turn of the key.:+1: