New NC 06' owner. - Steering, suspension and handling questions?

Just a personal question

Can i ask why most not looking at other “better” S/A like BC racing, ohlins, bilstain etc?

Is this purely a price thing? Is built quality not important anymore?

For me, it’s mostly a cost things as the MeisterR Sportives are a good price range. People have advised that I don’t need coilovers with adjustable damping if not I’m taking the car to the track.

But if anyone has other recommendations I’d be interested in knowing what other options there are if build quality is highly recommended along with performance. :+1:

Completely agree with that

Koni, bilstain…

The oem bilstain dampers in my car were 10y old and absolutely fine when were removed from my car to fit a more track focused suspension. I haven’t seen a 10y old meisters yet…

That’s good to know. Do you happen to know which ones come highly recommended for an 06’ NC? B12 Pro Kit or the B14’s?

That’s a worry. Stuff being manufactured in China always makes me a bit concerned about quality if I’m totally honest. It’s a shame as MeisterR is a UK company, am I right?

Bilstein are made in Germany, so there’s that for peace of mind.

EDIT: Just FYI for those following this thread. I called and enquired out of interest 2 retailers and the ETA for Bilstein B14’s 47-131811 NC is mid September. No one has stock in the UK atm.

Significantly a cost thing at the moment and from what I’ve been reading there are a lot of satisfied people running CRDs, although what I’ve seen about corrosion resistance does concern me. With that in mind I’ll give them a regular coating of Lanoguard or similar.
After I acquired the car in 2020 I had WIM fit the Eibach 30mm drop springs and a full geometry fast road setup which was a great improvement over stock but think the Bilsteins may be aging a bit (78,000 miles) as there’s still a bit of front bounce and the car doesn’t feel quite planted on longer curves with less than even surface.
The car is used for day trips out and weekends away with my wife as well as more spirited journeys on my own (not as a daily driver) and I chose the adjustable CRDs to try and find the sweet spot between touring comfort and the fun rides as the shorter Eibach springs do make the ride a bit harsh with the state of many roads today. Also I’d like to raise the ride height a tad for a little extra clearance; looking at 350R 345F, hub centre to wheelarch.
All in all I think the CRDs are a sensible budget option giving the flexibility to experiment with the setup, although longevity yet to be seen.

I don’t remember right now what brand springs or length is used for B12 or the B14 kit but i think the one is the equivalent oem setup and one is slightly lowered.

I dunno which shop you asked but my usual to go place is Bofi and im sure they can source stuff from overseas if needed

This is interesting. I’m a real novice in this subject. I’m curious how does that work? By taking into account the engine weight, so 350 in the rear equates to 345 in the front so it balances out? or am wrong?
Measurements are in mm? 350mm so, 35cm?

Corrosion is something I’m hearing more about recently about the MeisterR coilovers and I’m trying not to let it put me off as if it’s just case of doing preventative maintenance by coating them in a protective substance then it should be fine?

I’m being totally optimistic here, but as the incoming MeisterR’s are going to be coming straight from the factory by the sounds of it, a part of me really hopes that MeisterR have worked closely with the manufacturing partner and might have addressed some of the issues and concerns from MeisterR owners floating around the internet forums?

I asked Mlperformace and Demon Tweeks. Both said the same thing.

Sent BOFI an email to ask the question. See what they say. Thanks for that. :+1:

Quite a lot of info on ride height in this thread : NC Ride height comparison - #7 by McTrucky

In that thread the ride height is taken as hub centre to top of wheel arch (in mm) with no-one in car. Front and rear are independent.
Looking at the MeisterR info, out of the box is 330mm for the Sportives which I would suggest is a bit low and you’d be in speedbump territory. Pretty sure those are adjustable on fitting so I’d go a bit higher. I’m currently 345R 340F and at walking pace there’s only a couple of local speed bumps I’ve grazed (and one brutal one in a supermarket car park which I’m not even going to attempt). I’ve got a lot of smaller roads around me in the Cotswolds, a fair few single track and the passing places can be pretty rutted which is more of a concern; care needed.

It’s crazy seeing how low some owners manage to get away with slamming their rides to the floor. :sunglasses:

I might have to be conservative, as another member said, with how low I change my ride height to when the time comes.

The roads around rural Dorset can be fairly similar to the single track passing places you described.

I can’t find a product spec page on MeisterR’s own website for their Sportive range? There’s a short description on the shops page but not a dedicated page within their products, unless I’m mistaken.

Just trying to find out the max height if 330mm is out of the box?

Now listing Club Race and CRDs as ‘in stock’ when you select Product type.

Thanks for the heads up! That’s pretty hopeful that they are advertising as in stock. I hope that’s the case anyway for those who are looking to purchase them. :+1:

I honestly think that I don’t currently have the need for 32 way damping adjustments for daily driving. Something plug and play like the Sportives will do for now until I’ve had the car for a while… then see what evolution it takes from there.

If you’re concerned about Meister corrosion, coat them in ACF50 and get some coilover socks on them. Keep an eye on them, they should last a veritable lifetime.

Try this : Mazda MX-5 (NC) 05-14 Advanced Suspension and Coilovers
(Although that’s probably the same info you’seeing on the shop’s page.)

I don’t think that’s max height, just what they’re set to by default. There’s quite a bit more thread showing in the image if that’s how they’re shipped. I’m sure someone more familiar with them can advise.

Try here :#

Post # 8 ?

1 Like

There is basically one person on this forum who harps on about MeisterR coilovers being rubbish. Yes they are not Ohlins or KW variant 3’s in stainless steel but at their price level the CRD’s provide a nice balance of price and performance. I’ve had mine on 7 years and they feel as good as new. Any adjustable coilover with a threaded body and adjuster will need some sil8con grease or other rust inhibitor to allow future adjustments and preserve integrity. Salt is the main enemy along with inconsiderate driving over speed humps. If Meisters were so ■■■■ we would have more than a friend of a friends cousins feedback.

2 Likes

yup… Id choose anything else over those.

another example and (no that’s not my mate’s car but similar failure)

So you are saying if I was in the market for adjustable coilovers I should buy the 1200 meisters and put socks over them and spray them every now and then over the fit and forget 1800 BC racing (or there about) or the 1850 ohlins. I know what I’d do but your mileage may differ and thats ok.

oh HSD are rubbish as well.

I totally forgot about this thread. Thanks for that! :+1:

So after rereading that thread I wanted to ask does anyone know what the stock height is of the NC?

The thread mentions that the MeisterR Sportives have an adjustable range 12.5” to 13.75”

It varies slightly from early to later mk3’s but around 375mm wheel centre to arch lip vertically. In essence those sportives shol give a 25mm to 40mm ish drop.
30mm drop or 345mm wheel centre to arch is a nice compromise between looks,handling and speedbumps

1 Like