What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Put a new(ish) soft top on my NB :slight_smile: Still a wee bit of fetteling to do, but it;s on. My fingers were numb - underlying condition that destroys my red blood cells so I feel the cold - so stopped once it was on - couple of nuts to tighten up and hte carpet to put back down.
Nice mohair one better than the clapped out PVC one I had on it.

Need to clean off moss etc but thatā€™s next weekend.

Thansk for selling it to me @rctemple Richard - looks great on

2 Likes

No itā€™s the official Mazda one.

Oops, I meant ATH Hinsberger:

They appear to be the original manufacturer and offer three different sizes. Also, if bought directly from them, it seems the ā€œMX-5ā€ logo is not imprinted. Interestingly, the Mazda part number for yours appears to be an EU-only part number: 410078910.

I had ATH Hinsberger version on my wish list for a while and may I ask if you had to install anything else to keep yours in place?

In the kit there are a couple of small screws and instructions to drill pilot holes into the rollover hoops to screw the frame into.
It doesnā€™t seem necessary to me. It is holding sturdy enough without them, so I havenā€™t done it.

The acrylic part is held into the frame with a couple of pre-installed grub screws that are tightened with an allen key.

It certainly looks much smarter than the old one (imo)

May I ask three questions please

1 Is fitting it just ā€œplug and playā€ or do you need to drill holes etc? ( please ignore this question as I have just read your previous reply)

2 Is it more effective than the factory fitted plastic one it replaced ?

3 Can you still put the top down whilst sitting in the driverā€™s seat as it appears much taller than the original?

Regards
Clive

1 Like

Might be interested in these that I manufacture and sell. :grinning:

3 Likes

Getting winter ready.

Shorts:

Full video
https://youtu.be/z3iPvqvXRsQ

1 Like

Hi Clive.

1. Yes just to explain further, you can see the sides are tight to the roll hoops, unlike the plastic one. They are also felt lined, and I had to push quite hard to get both bottom clips to engage, so I think itā€™s well wedged in. Iā€™m glad as I didnā€™t want to drill my hoops.

2. Yes I think so from one brief test drive yesterday. Some water spots appeared on it as I got up above 60mph, presumably from lifted beads on the car, so that demonstrated to me that it must have been stopping more air, as these spots were in an area above the original blocker, which also has holes of course (Got to add that I have never felt water to come back to me with the old blocker, though).

3. This was a worry when I first got it out of the box and saw how much higher it was, and I will admit itā€™s not as easy to put it down as before,but yes it is still possible. Doesnā€™t affect putting it up at all.

Thank you Jon. Thatā€™s convinced me to get onešŸ‘

2 Likes

'51 plate 2.5 148ā€™ish miles, MOT passed no advisories, my Wife gets to keep her car another year.

1 Like

Quick update - I havenā€™t been able to drive for a couple of weeks due to a slipped disc, but finally got the roof down today between showers and can confirm that the wind blocker not only stayed attached to the car, but did a great job in blocking the wind. Which is handy.

3 Likes

The clue is in the nameā€¦ :grinning:

4 Likes

I replaced the LED ring inside my ICT gear knob. I had broken the wires earlier this year with the centre console being out in out in etc. So I got new innards sent from Germany and got it all wired up today. The console will have to wait as Iā€™m recovering from having my gall bladder removed last Friday and Iā€™m too sore to play gymnastics getting said console back in.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what Mazda call ā€˜gram technologyā€™. Remove or minimise weight of every component. Respect for taking it to another level. :wink:

Get well soon. :grinning:

6 Likes

Thank youā€¦:rofl:

Today fitted an LED light bar thanks to @Roadie

Superb kit with all the bits needed, fitted in no more than 10 minutes! had to get some shots in the darkā€¦ Very happy with the resultā€¦

9 Likes

Got a 400 mile round trip tomorrow so checked the oil, coolant and washer fluid, too cold to take pictures, kick the tyres and the cat was conspicuous by its absence !

1 Like

Always a joy to have an excuse for a long run in an MX-5.

What I did today was replace the interior (blown) bulb in my ND with and LED one. I also replaced the bulb in the boot with the same LED. I know that the original incandescent bulbs are of different wattage but I put the same LEDs in both. The difference is, quite literally, ā€˜night and dayā€™. The LED light is cold and white whereas the old incandescent light was soft and yellow, but at least I can see things now.

The new LED bulbs simply push in to the existing fittings with no need for any additional work or adjustments. It is a 30-second job. The covers are easily from removed from both the interior and boot lights with a small screwdriver. Contrary to what some folk state online and on videos, it is NOT necessary to remove the rear trim panel in the boot; the whole light unit can be prised out with a small screwdriver and the replacement of the bulb with the LED one is then a trivial job.

Both bulbs are 31mm festoon bulbs.
IMG_0333

Attached: photo of the bulbs I used. Purchased from the usual auction site. Ā£3.49 including postage for the two.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been tempted by these bulbs too, just one questionā€¦ Does the interior light dim down gently when the door is closed/locked like the old bulb would or does it just knock off? :slight_smile: