What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Thanks Matt and Ray.

Various items available in the for sale section on here.

For the Mk3 NC

Clear or tinted wind blockers

For the Mk4 ND soft top only

Clear or tinted wind blockers

For all Mk4 ND

Boot LED strip

Sequential rear indicators

1 Like

Sold this one and delivered it to its new owner

Bought this one and drove it home

Tomorrow the hard top goes on sale :slight_smile:

1 Like

Front chassis brace on the ND and waxoiled the rear wheel arches and the box section stuff under the middle of the car using all the holes. Ready for winter and more corners! :grin:

Technically not by me but my ND had its 5th service and the rest of the piano black “aero” kit fitted.
I still think it is ridiculous that the Launch Edition came with the piano black roof, mirror caps and boot spoiler but not the rest of it:

• Front Air Dam Skirt
  • Side Air Dam Skirts
  • Rear Air Dam Skirt

So this is what it looks like after the the rest of the aero kit:

The Mazda techs failed to find a box containing all the hardware to start off with and it looks like the missed fitting some additional aero bits too :man_facepalming: but it is on at least!

4 Likes

Getting dirty around the North Yorkshire Moors. Not good for my cleaning obsession.:dizzy_face: :grin:

4 Likes

It is good for your cleaning obsession…it let’s you do more :rofl:

2 Likes

Red LED strip fitted to boot lid. Excellent first class service again from Roadie .
Thanks Paul.

4 Likes

Fitted new tailpipes and adjustable exhaust volume reducers.

4 Likes

Volume reducers?? Presumably not an oem backbox then?

Can you make a video of the exhaust sound with flaps open and then closed? My 16 plate Golf R had flaps in the exhaust. With them closed, only 2 of the 4 pipes were used, open used all 4 and was significantly louder. Didn’t realise this tech was available for the MX-5, it was great on the Golf as you could leave home quietly, not disturbing the neighbours and open them up and release the fun sound when appropriate.

Or are these just bungs in the tips to mute the roar, which are installed manually or removed? Might have jumped the gun here :thinking:

Update. Picture of the Red Led boot strip in daylight.

4 Likes

No, not an OEM backbox. No idea what it is as it was on the car when I got it. Also, the middle cat and rear resonator had been removed, so quite a noisy motor. The volume reducers have removed the worst of the boom-iness, whilst still retaining a a throaty sound.

I would make a video but honestly don’t think you’d notice any difference in volume - I certainly didn’t. I think calling them ‘volume reducers’ is a bit misleading - perhaps ‘exhaust attenuators’ is more accurate. They appear to change the pitch of the exhaust note slightly and remove certain frequencies. In my case there was a really annoying booming at certain speeds but these devices have removed that, and that’s exactly what I wanted. What they didn’t remove was the deep throaty burble and I’m glad about that.

To answer your second question, they are completely adjustable on the fly. You simply loosen the centre wing-nut and rotate the flap to whatever position you want, meaning I could get some raspi-ness back if I felt like it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback mate, I jumped the gun in thinking these were valves that could be opened or closed using a button in the car, whilst driving. I looked last night, just because my curiosity was peaked, and you can by a system that does this, but it’s very expensive. Appreciate your response!

The type you are thinking of are small flaps or flap welded into the pipe(s) before the rear silencer. Seen loads of these TV car shows mainly on the Discovery channels ‘Kindig Customs’ to name just one (if you get the Sky channels) that fit them. Press the button inside the car to open the flap and you get that roar from the exhaust. Doubt we’d get away with them here in this country, some American states as depicted in those TV shows can outlaw them too, well the noise from them.

1 Like

Yes Mick, it’s that type of thing I thought this was. The Golf R had these as standard, as does the Mini Cooper S amongst others.

1 Like

Not that she was dirty :rofl:

7 Likes

Destroyed the front splitter that was only fitted on Wednesday :man_facepalming: :sob:

Here is my lovely ‘ Roadie ‘ wind blocker in place, In my opinion it gives a bit of extra personalisation to the cosmetic features of the MX5 It’s all about personalisation for me, There’s so much can be done to the MX5 to give a bit of a ‘lift’ to its Basic looks, Enjoy your lovely little gems, best regards from Ray in Essex. Ps the scratch on the Rear bodywork is only on the photo not the car

Sorry that I keep putting my little MX5 pictures on here. I just like keep looking at it. Save me going 500 yards to the garage where I keep it to remind myself how nice it is. Ray from Essex ( Epping )

1 Like